Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

June 2019 - One of the worst summer months ever?

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

June 2007 will crush this month in rubbishness. I can't see 259mm of rain being beaten and this June will probably end up warmer as well. It's still above average here at the moment.

• Like 2

Posted

It’s been terrible for the London region, although we did benefit for the late May and start of June warm spell. Saturday the 1st was quite hot, around 27c that day.

Unfortunately, it’s been a cooler and cloudy regime ever since. Despite being slightly milder compared to Monday’s 13c in London, we barely managed 19c yesterday with short sunny spells. Sunny this morning, but mostly cloudy and 16c as a daytime Max is pathetic for mid June.

This is shaping up to be a poor summer.

Posted

I live in Ireland and it has been the same heavy showers and temperatures struggling to reach the mid teens. Even though we are heading halfway into June we still didn’t have a day with temperatures reach 20C or above and usually by now we would have at least a few days of temperatures above 20C and also we didn’t have a day with temperatures above 25C and I have been wearing hoodies every day this month.  My mother still has the heating on both day and night. We are definitely paying the price for June 2018 which had temperatures above 20C most days and above 25C most days with that heatwave at the end of the month. I believe that Summer 2019 is going to be a washout similiar to the 2007-2012 summers and it has been rather dull also

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
39 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

It’s been terrible for the London region, although we did benefit for the late May and start of June warm spell. Saturday the 1st was quite hot, around 27c that day.

Unfortunately, it’s been a cooler and cloudy regime ever since. Despite being slightly milder compared to Monday’s 13c in London, we barely managed 19c yesterday with short sunny spells. Sunny this morning, but mostly cloudy and 16c as a daytime Max is pathetic for mid June.

This is shaping up to be a poor summer.

not my favorite place is London during the summer..i was working in Tottenham during the summer of 1989 and living in Lewisham during that hot July 1994..no fun to oppressive..i was in Ruislip in 09 and again from 14-16.those summers were just about right for me anyway.

Posted

Although there is still plenty of time for improvement of course with the majority of the month (just about) still to go, this June is starting to feel like an early Summer equivalent of December 2015 in terms of how unseasonable it feels. 

Although personally I don't find it anywhere near as frustrating as I found that month and think it's quite fascinating really. Not sure I would like it to be the overall theme of this Summer, although I think it would be amazing to see this month at least continue in the same vein.

Posted
3 hours ago, cheeky_monkey said:

not my favorite place is London during the summer..i was working in Tottenham during the summer of 1989 and living in Lewisham during that hot July 1994..no fun to oppressive..i was in Ruislip in 09 and again from 14-16.those summers were just about right for me anyway.

I think 2009 was warm in June, but July was cool and wet with thunderstorms, August was changeable.

July 94 and 89 were very hot in London.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
5 hours ago, The PIT said:

June 2007 will crush this month in rubbishness. I can't see 259mm of rain being beaten and this June will probably end up warmer as well. It's still above average here at the moment.

In terms of temperature i dont recall yours for 2007 however nationally June 07 ended up with a CET above 15C due to high minima. I highly doubt with current output that we can get anywhere close to that.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).

Just more puerile wintry garbage, nothing like a summer but then again neither is an average summer in this dump anyway. I'm very pleased I'm saving up to rent a fixed caravan in Spain this summer, where I plan to spend much of the summer getting, well, summer.

Edited by Thundershine

Posted
17 hours ago, SunnyDazee said:

Wigan has been very wet. I know Manchester hasn’t been as wet because I’ve spoken to people working there saying it’s been sunny and I said they must be lying because it’s absolutely pouring down here. 

They must have been lying because no way it was sunny in Manchester. It may have been relatively dry but sunny?! 

• Like 1

Posted

Usually sow turnips at the end of May beginning of June and need dry weather for precision sower otherwise mud clogs the metering wheels..Can never remember such wet conditions in 50 years trying to sow them.90% sown in odd hours when rain stops to date.Parts of field still to wet to get tractor through.

Frequent northerly winds for the last six weeks have done the damage here in an area which usually benefits from the rain shadow effect of the mountains to the south and west.According to the met office we have had twice the normal rainfall in May and June to date seems to be running at the same rate.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather

We are not even halfway through June and I think this will be the wettest month on record.

Posted

No wonder we suffer vitamin D deficiency in this country lol.

It's been plain awful here in West Yorks. Stats probably wont back me up but feels like the worst June in my lifetime. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb

It's bad, but I think June 1991 and June 2012 will end up worse. June 1991 especially, failing to even reach 18c for the average high is unthinkably bad.

http://www.meteociel.fr/climatologie/villes.php?code=3772&mois=6&annee=1991

http://www.meteociel.fr/climatologie/villes.php?code=3772&mois=6&annee=2012

Edited by B87

Posted
13 hours ago, summer blizzard said:

In terms of temperature i dont recall yours for 2007 however nationally June 07 ended up with a CET above 15C due to high minima. I highly doubt with current output that we can get anywhere close to that.

Yes june 2007 was much warmer upto this point then the severe torrential thunderstorms came in abundance.

And I can see this month will be chillier to 2012.

So far this june we are just 20 mm from overtaking the june rainfall record set in 2007 had another 20 mm last night not far off another inch.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

Just contrast now to last summer...

http://www.meteociel.fr/climatologie/villes.php?code=3772&mois=7&annee=2018

Not one day below 20c in London last July, and an average maximum of 28c!

I know it was unusual and one of the hottest months ever, but the contrast to June and summer so far couldn't be more marked. I didn't actually think in my wildest dreams after how dry and mild winter and spring have been that we'd get a June this bad. I was hopelessly wrong.

Posted
5 hours ago, joggs said:

No wonder we suffer vitamin D deficiency in this country lol.

It's been plain awful here in West Yorks. Stats probably wont back me up but feels like the worst June in my lifetime. 

I'm a fair weather cyclist and have been all my adult life. I can't prove it either but I agree with you! So do the current 7-10C temps in Scotland and Northern England above the Yorkshire Dales!

Posted
On ‎12‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 18:26, The PIT said:

Yes, June 2007 was grim. 206.9mm of rain that month which all fell between the 12th and 30th. It is the wettest month on record here and locally back to 1847.

Posted

Maxed out at 10*C, rain most of the day. Woodburner belting out like we're approaching winter solstice not summer. 

Got to love our perpetual autumn climate. 

Posted
21 hours ago, B87 said:

It's bad, but I think June 1991 and June 2012 will end up worse. June 1991 especially, failing to even reach 18c for the average high is unthinkably bad.

http://www.meteociel.fr/climatologie/villes.php?code=3772&mois=6&annee=1991

http://www.meteociel.fr/climatologie/villes.php?code=3772&mois=6&annee=2012

Wasn’t June 1987 and 82 worse. They were both wet, but I know they had brief hot spells. 

June 1991 was like a winters month. It was cold and dull all month. I remember it well.

Posted
21 hours ago, mb018538 said:

Just contrast now to last summer...

http://www.meteociel.fr/climatologie/villes.php?code=3772&mois=7&annee=2018

Not one day below 20c in London last July, and an average maximum of 28c!

I know it was unusual and one of the hottest months ever, but the contrast to June and summer so far couldn't be more marked. I didn't actually think in my wildest dreams after how dry and mild winter and spring have been that we'd get a June this bad. I was hopelessly wrong.

Maybe this will put an end to people worrying about forest fires.

It is a case of ‘be careful what you wish for’. I’m sure if we experience a very cold snowy winter soon, people will be wishing for a mild spell lol.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).

How June 2007 compares to this depends on where you lived. I was in Lincoln and apart from the final week, it was a far better month than this, definitely.

Warm and sunny for the entire first third, then all the rain from 12th-23rd was from thunderstorms. In Lincoln there were 11 individual thunderstorms in that period, the most I've seen in my life for such a short period. The heavy frontal drivel didn't begin until 24th, then the next 5 weeks was dire. July was the worst of that year. I'd take a June 2007 over this year's grot any time.

Also June 2007 was warm with an average high of 19-20°C in this area compared with 16°C this year so far; one of the coldest Junes in my records.

Edited by Thundershine

Posted
6 hours ago, Thundershine said:

How June 2007 compares to this depends on where you lived. I was in Lincoln and apart from the final week, it was a far better month than this, definitely.

Warm and sunny for the entire first third, then all the rain from 12th-23rd was from thunderstorms. In Lincoln there were 11 individual thunderstorms in that period, the most I've seen in my life for such a short period. The heavy frontal drivel didn't begin until 24th, then the next 5 weeks was dire. July was the worst of that year. I'd take a June 2007 over this year's grot any time.

Also June 2007 was warm with an average high of 19-20°C in this area compared with 16°C this year so far; one of the coldest Junes in my records.

Away from the south and probably parts of NW Scotland May hasn't been warm either.
 Highest maximum here so far this year is 20.9C on 20th April
I am just wondering if that will be beaten at all you never know.
I seem to remember a couple of late 70s summers it struggled to get above 21C at all.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
9 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

Wasn’t June 1987 and 82 worse. They were both wet, but I know they had brief hot spells. 

June 1991 was like a winters month. It was cold and dull all month. I remember it well.

June 1982 was very Thundery... probably why it was a wet month..June 1987 doesn't stick out in my memory as being either wet or cool..think it just depends where you were at the time..June 1985 was wetter than both 82 and 87

Posted

June (and the rest of the summer) 2012 was abysmal here - 232mm in total.  We're on 118mm so far, so there's a chance we could exceed the 2012 total but it will take the second half to be nearly as wet as the first.

I was only 13 in June 1991 but remember it well, my birthday was on a Saturday, and as '92 was a leap year, the only weekend birthday I had for quite some time - and it rained all day from start to finish.  At least we had the fine weather later in the summer that year, a lovely warm school summer holiday - hoping for the same this year!