Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

June 2019 - One of the worst summer months ever?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, sunny.

Right guys, so I know this post might be a bit depressing, considering we are only just entering half way into June, but it’s hard to deny that so far this has been one of the worst summer months in modern times so far. CET is 13 but saved by the first day, would probably be 12.5 otherwise, which would be top 10 ish coldest June’s of all time. In Wigan, even the 1st of June didn’t hit 20 degrees, we haven’t hit 23 degrees for one day this year yet which is absolutely unbelievable. Also we have had above average rainfall. Quite dull. So I started this topic to talk about this potential historic (bad) month and to open up comparisons with other months. Today was the coldest June day since 1997 in many areas too! 

Edited by SunnyDazee
  • Like 1

Posted

Anecdotal of course, but this June (especially the last two days or so) has been the worst in living memory for me. Stood outside yesterday evening felt honestly like mid-November. Not only is it absolutely soaking wet, but it's absolutely freezing too.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

Hahahahahaha!...the date today is the 12th, yes the last few days have admittedly been poor and fairly cold though yesterday in my location largely sunny and 21c was nearly reached and before the 10th/11th have had some on/off days of sun and rain/showers so not disastrous...if you want to look at worst summer months of 'modern times' look at the end of June and through July 2007 or June to mid July 2012, far to early to presume this is the worst summer months ever!

• Like 3

Posted

I kept my socks on in bed last night and a colleague at work had her heating on........ It's June, what's going on?!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
8 minutes ago, Froze were the Days said:

Hahahahahaha!...the date today is the 12th, yes the last few days have admittedly been poor and fairly cold though yesterday in my location largely sunny and 21c was nearly reached and before the 10th/11th have had some on/off days of sun and rain/showers so not disastrous...if you want to look at worst summer months of 'modern times' look at the end of June and through July 2007 or June to mid July 2012, far to early to presume this is the worst summer months ever!

IMO, it's not the weather per se that's the real problem, it's watching peeps vainly try to shoehorn reality into their respective seasonal guesses...?

Posted

June 2007 (Using Stourbridge weather data) saw 5 days at the start of the month over 20 degrees after which a cooler regime settled in but temperatures never dipped below 15 degrees.

It was 9.9 degrees here yesterday and right now its only 13 with more heavy rain expected later. We've managed one 20 degree day so far.

Might scrape it again early next week but the rest of the output looks dire - so I think its fair to say June 2019 is on par with June 2007 unless there are some big, unexpected changes in the offing.

• Like 1

Posted

It hasn't been that wet here, just cool and cloudy. The Pennines are eating most of the rain before it reaches here. This weather is perfect for my long distance running as it makes it easy and almost effortless. The last thing i need is hot and humid conditions. 

Posted
45 minutes ago, Azazel said:

June 2007 (Using Stourbridge weather data) saw 5 days at the start of the month over 20 degrees after which a cooler regime settled in but temperatures never dipped below 15 degrees.

It was 9.9 degrees here yesterday and right now its only 13 with more heavy rain expected later. We've managed one 20 degree day so far.

Might scrape it again early next week but the rest of the output looks dire - so I think its fair to say June 2019 is on par with June 2007 unless there are some big, unexpected changes in the offing.

Absolutely mate, in my opinion there’s no sugar coating it. The rest of this week looks a write off and whilst next week looks “warmer” it only looks marginally less wet, and temperatures are still below average. I remember at the middle of May when people said it would warm up at the end and we’d get the traditional late May bank holiday heatwave. Not even touched that so far and May gradually did warm up but far from a heatwave. The reality is if this June does warm up to average temperatures (bearing in mind no heatwave is predicted) and half of the month is rained out and the rest is completely dull and showery. If northern Blocking does stay in place (and early models suggest it may stay in place in early July) then this month is one of the worst June’s in recent memory. It’s the 3rd worst June ever in Manchester so far, much worse than 2007 and 2012 with only early 1900’s and mid 1900’s June’s before it (can’t remember the exact year). We have temperatures more than 10 degrees below average and people are saying it’s not that bad, it bewilders me. Like I said if we didn’t have that first day that most of the country was exceptionally warm on (not here) it’d be 12.5 CET which is one of the coldest June’s ever. 

• Like 1

Posted
50 minutes ago, karyo said:

It hasn't been that wet here, just cool and cloudy. The Pennines are eating most of the rain before it reaches here. This weather is perfect for my long distance running as it makes it easy and almost effortless. The last thing i need is hot and humid conditions. 

Wigan has been very wet. I know Manchester hasn’t been as wet because I’ve spoken to people working there saying it’s been sunny and I said they must be lying because it’s absolutely pouring down here. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Down here if we manage dry and warm conditions for the last 12 days, and it warms up to at least average between now and then, we will be on par with 2007. The bad weather that month really didn't take hold fully until midmonth. 

It would take some beating to overtake June 2012 though. With the exception of yesterday which really took the proverbial, this June has reminded me a bit of 2011 and 2002 so far. June 2002 started with a warm opening two days, then an abrupt change to cool and wet conditions out until mid month. June 2011 however had a hot spell at the start and finish so we've got to achieve that at least once this month.

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, MP-R said:

Down here if we manage dry and warm conditions for the last 12 days, and it warms up to at least average between now and then, we will be on par with 2007. The bad weather that month really didn't take hold fully until midmonth. 

It would take some beating to overtake June 2012 though. With the exception of yesterday which really took the proverbial, this June has reminded me a bit of 2011 and 2002 so far. June 2002 started with a warm opening two days, then an abrupt change to cool and wet conditions out until mid month. June 2011 however had a hot spell at the start and finish so we've got to achieve that at least once this month.

The weather in Wigan has been all of that, without the hot start of June. I went for a birthday meal and I had to wear a thick jacket. It was about 17 degrees and overcast. I think people obviously use perspective of where they live and I can see why some people in East Anglia say it’s not been that bad for example, but that’s not the case for the entire country and the north and Midlands in particular. Wigan was 10 degrees yesterday. If I told you the weather was 10 degrees and asked you to guess the month you’d not shout June would you? I think this month has been worse than both June 2007 and June 2012 here so far. This morning is the first day without heavy rain so far since this time last week (and we have a weather warning in place so I don’t think that’ll hold). Even when it hasn’t rained the sun hasn’t been out. I’d love to see the sunshine hours presently. 

Posted

I live over the water in Ireland and whilst it is not called the emerald isle for nothing, the weather has been appalling since Easter ended and June has seen rain almost every day. The outlook for the next week shows rain almost every day too.

I would need to check weather records but we must be on track to the wettest June on record if this continues.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

Well only seemed a week ago BBC weather presenters were saying that parts of the south and south east/east were in need of rain for the gardens (I remember Tomasz mentioning it)...so certainly in these parts have been far from bad, I think recent wet/cold conditions of the last few days coupled with the continuation of 'average' temperatures since April has made some people flip...

• Like 5

Posted
53 minutes ago, SunnyDazee said:

Wigan has been very wet. I know Manchester hasn’t been as wet because I’ve spoken to people working there saying it’s been sunny and I said they must be lying because it’s absolutely pouring down here. 

Classic rainshadow effect due to the easterly. I should also get some rain in the coming days as the wind changes direction eventually.

• Like 1

Posted

Interesting fact, yesterday was the coldest 11th of June ever recorded, with a max of 11.7 degrees CET, beating the 12.1 degree formerly in 1909

Edited by SunnyDazee
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
1 hour ago, SunnyDazee said:

The weather in Wigan has been all of that, without the hot start of June. I went for a birthday meal and I had to wear a thick jacket. It was about 17 degrees and overcast. I think people obviously use perspective of where they live and I can see why some people in East Anglia say it’s not been that bad for example, but that’s not the case for the entire country and the north and Midlands in particular. Wigan was 10 degrees yesterday. If I told you the weather was 10 degrees and asked you to guess the month you’d not shout June would you? I think this month has been worse than both June 2007 and June 2012 here so far. This morning is the first day without heavy rain so far since this time last week (and we have a weather warning in place so I don’t think that’ll hold). Even when it hasn’t rained the sun hasn’t been out. I’d love to see the sunshine hours presently. 

I hear you. I was also in my winter waterproof down here in Bristol - only 11.7C as a max yesterday. Just think what maximum that would've been in winter relative to normal - probably in the region of -4 or -5C.

Fingers crossed this upcoming pattern change can deliver something better and not just warmer rain.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
3 hours ago, Paul_1978 said:

I kept my socks on in bed last night and a colleague at work had her heating on........ It's June, what's going on?!

Climate Change i'm sure..whether its cold, hot, wet or dry that's the stock answer these days

Edited by cheeky_monkey
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
11 minutes ago, cheeky_monkey said:

Climate Change i'm sure..whether its cold, hot, wet or dry that's the stock answer these days

Would that explain why you're the only person to have suggested it, then?:oldrolleyes:

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

I dont actually mind these worst summer months because i like cool weather and showers can be of interest.

But yes, there is little doubt that out to the 20th as things stand, this will be among the worst.

Posted

June 2007 totally opposite to this month so far with a great first half well for not too much rain,it more than made up for that in the second half.

This month much cooler and 50 times wetter first half,records are broken yet again last 48 hours with non stop rain at 3inches and with 130mm rainfail so far,summer floods are back with avengeance,river severn flooding back again,unheard of in summers pre 2007.

Another cold day today with drizzle all day 10.7c

Edited by Snowyowl9
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow

I’ve been lucky- in that I’ve been in Zante on holiday since the 2nd. I rang home this morning to be told my parents had the central heating on in Plymouth and yesterday Dads weather station recorded 12.3 as a maximum.

I couldn’t believe it till I looked on here- you guys have had a dreadful 12 days.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

It's certainly been bad in the last few days -- yesterday was one of the worst "summer" days I can ever remember in these parts. The rain didn't stop for a single moment, and it only barely made it above 10 °C. In Worcestershire in June that's horrendous. I've actually caught myself thinking "Well, this isn't so bad" today -- when it hasn't actually rained all the time and temps have crept into the low teens!

All that said, I think I can see some hope in the forecasts/models now. Not for anything like last year's early-summer sun and heat, no, but maybe something a little more like a "classic British summer" in many parts. Probably still a bit grim in the NW, admittedly. I'm no expert and of course things could yet change (either way!) but right now I'd pick 2019 over 2012 without even thinking about it.

• Like 1

Its been an incredibly cool start to June here, only the 1st managed 20C, everyday since we'll below that mark. While it looks like it warm-up a touch any settled spells currently look short lived and with the prospect of the jet flipping from a buckled ridge/trough/ridge setup to completely flat and arrowed straight at the SW its hard to see June not ending up in the top wettest 5 of all time, clearly with that it'll be cool and wrist-slittingly cloudy.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
5 hours ago, Paul_1978 said:

Aye but just think in 6 months, weather will probably be exactly the same, only SW gale and dark at 4pm

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
2 hours ago, Ed Stone said:

Would that explain why you're the only person to have suggested it, then?:oldrolleyes:

thats the generic response to any kind of anomalous weather in the media these days

• Like 1