Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Norway

Posted

Currently in Norway (Oslo at the moment). So nice. 

Thing that strikes you is no apparent fat lardy kids and parents. You see lots of children outside doing physical activities or just playing during the week. The Norwegians have an identity, which they are truly proud of. They seem to have resisted multiculturalism enforced by the politically correct. 

Such a shame UK does not have the same ethics. 

• Like 3

Posted

Not surprised at 8 quid a Pint. I think I'd spend all my time playing outside.

If you're lucky enough to travel up North, say hi to the Sámi people for me. 

Edited by jtay

Posted
19 hours ago, Snipper said:

Thing that strikes you is no apparent fat lardy kids and parents. You see lots of children outside doing physical activities or just playing during the week. The Norwegians have an identity, which they are truly proud of. They seem to have resisted multiculturalism enforced by the politically correct. 

I read half way through and thought what a lovely post, as i also love the Scandinavian countries. Then i read the last two sentences and thought oh dear! 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers
19 hours ago, Snipper said:

Price you pay for an open mind. I’m happy with multiculturalism. It’s the natural way the world is headed.

Anyway, how long can you keep a country free of non-nationals in a world where there is cheap international travel and the technology to explore beyond your own borders quickly and easily?

Moreover, why would you want to stop this from happening?

Multiculturalism doesn’t make children fat, stay in all week and lose their identity.

What a ridiculous suggestion to make.

Edited by Flash bang flash bang etc
  • Like 1

Posted

It's a shame that we in the UK haven't found a way to prevent obesity becoming such a crisis, there must be things we can learn from Norway.

But on the other point - multiculturalism isn't a bad thing - it works fine as long as everyone is encouraged to respect each other's views and the rate of change is monitored on a local scale so as not to make communities feel suddenly overwhelmed.  That's what seems to have driven the current wave of anti-immigration feeling in the UK.

Posted
8 hours ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

Multiculturalism doesn’t make children fat, stay in all week and lose their identity.

What a ridiculous suggestion to make.

Read the post. Didn’t say it did. 

I said that the Norwegians protected fiercely their culture and traditions and did not want it changed out of all recognition by uncontrolled immigration. As such I assume you consider them to be rabid racists. 

Edited by Snipper

Posted
7 hours ago, fujita5 said:

But on the other point - multiculturalism isn't a bad thing - it works fine as long as everyone is encouraged to respect each other's views and the rate of change is monitored on a local scale so as not to make communities feel suddenly overwhelmed.  That's what seems to have driven the current wave of anti-immigration feeling in the UK.

The point entirely is overwhelmed. This has been the reason why so many are unhappy with what has been imposed on them without asking. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

I have spoken to a couple of Norwegians online (from the N of the country- Lofoten and Tromso) and their country is so far ahead of ours it's not funny. They have much better attitudes towards things like mental health too. 

Oh and they actually get snow in winter.

Edited by CreweCold

Posted
2 hours ago, CreweCold said:

I have spoken to a couple of Norwegians online (from the N of the country- Lofoten and Tromso) and their country is so far ahead of ours it's not funny. They have much better attitudes towards things like mental health too. 

A very desirable lifestyle. Mind you it does help having all that oil money they have not squandered, with large sums being invested for the future. Until oil was found Norway was was one of the poorest countries in Europe. 

Posted

Went to Norway on our honeymoon in the early eighties, Agree that it is  a very well run ,clean, beautiful country and perhaps being poor in the past made it appreciate its new found wealth in oil  encouraging it to put a fair proportion away for the future.

Got my snow fix in late July going up to some of the high mountain passes which are only just passable in summer. On the wealth side saw my first Sierra Cosworth parked outside our hotel.

Posted
7 hours ago, CreweCold said:

Tromso is beautiful. We were there in Oct '17 and saw the first snow of the season falling.

It's also a great base for trips to see the Northern lights. We'll definitely go back. It'd be a fantastic place to take a van and just dash about. You can camp anywhere, apparently.

Posted
20 hours ago, jtay said:

Tromso is beautiful. We were there in Oct '17 and saw the first snow of the season falling.

It's also a great base for trips to see the Northern lights. We'll definitely go back. It'd be a fantastic place to take a van and just dash about. You can camp anywhere, apparently.

Didn’t get that far north. Flew into Oslo for a couple nights then train over the mountains to Bergen to pick up cruise. Now back to the real world as we are waiting for a cattle class flight back to uk from Amsterdam. Been a great trip otherwise. 

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms
On 08/06/2019 at 08:58, Snipper said:

A very desirable lifestyle. Mind you it does help having all that oil money they have not squandered, with large sums being invested for the future. Until oil was found Norway was was one of the poorest countries in Europe. 

And now they are very careful with their economy and the social welfare! Sound like you planned for and had a great short trip. Somewhere I'd like to go - seeing the Aurora up front is definitely on my list.

Scandinavian countries are so lovely, as are their people and cultures. I've been to Denmark, Sweden and Finalnd but all too briefly.

Edited by Spikecollie