Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - The Start Of Summer

Paul
Message added by Paul

This thread = Models, models and more models
Please remember that this thread is for discussing the model output only. If you want to chat about the summer weather more generally, please use the Summer chat and moans thread.

Posted
9 minutes ago, johnholmes said:

And the EC 500 mb anomaly flips again

http://mp1.met.psu.edu/~fxg1/ECMWF_0z/hgtcomp.html

stick with the NOAA version and its 8-14 chart for the most likely upper air pattern for the next 1 to 2 weeks in my view

https://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/predictions/610day/500mb.php

So mostly a changeable outlook, that does not exclude one day here and there with dry and somewhat more summery weather for many!

And the funny thing is John the ext EPS is not a million miles from the NOAA chart

9-14.thumb.png.26c5e9af0c4e2c9202bfa05e421c7d42.png

• Like 2

Posted

GEM is beautiful this morning with the azores high dominating proceedings by day 8/9..

image.thumb.png.b5386f91bcc2e4627c857669c090c070.png

Unfortunately the model seems isolated, the others going with the pronounced Greenland block.

• Like 4

Posted
1 minute ago, northwestsnow said:

GEM is beautiful this morning with the azores high dominating proceedings by day 8/9..

image.thumb.png.b5386f91bcc2e4627c857669c090c070.png

Unfortunately the model seems isolated, the others going with the pronounced Greenland block.

At least it gives us something good to look at. 

• Like 2

Posted
14 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

At least it gives us something good to look at. 

TBH  this is the kind of progression i was hoping for towards mid month, unfortunately , as of yet, this has not materialized on EC/GFS..

In my experience it would be very rare for GEM to Donald all the others but it has happened once or twice. Im hoping this is one of them hens teeth moments but confidence is low.

Edited by northwestsnow
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear skies , hard frost , snow !

Interestingly Matt Hugo in his tweet mentions 2012 pattern similarity with current model output - he’s a pro and a level headed guy so certainly something to note ...!!?

• Like 2

Posted
13 minutes ago, Badgers01 said:

Interestingly Matt Hugo in his tweet mentions 2012 pattern similarity with current model output - he’s a pro and a level headed guy so certainly something to note ...!!?

Too early to be making those sorf of comparisons but we really need to see this persistant blocking to the NW 'do one'..

• Like 3

GFS 06Z appear to be heading down a slightly more settled route however the cold pool left over takes an age to erode and warm. Seem these sorted of runs too often recently only to be back up 6/12hrs later by a pile a cac!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

Basically what I’ve been worried about for weeks now. Northern blocking sets in and just doesn’t budge.

ec-ens_nat_z500scenarios_2019060500_240.

Unfortunately the clusters have all locked in to another substantial Greenland block forming by day 10, those dark reds in completely the wrong place again. Don’t expect anything decent now before the last third of the month at a bare minimum, just a continuation of suppressed temperatures. Grim viewing if you like warm and settled weather in the summer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow freezing fog heatwave thunderstorm

Azores ridging next Thursday. Is this a trend. Did it also show on the gem earlier? @NorthWest_Snow

h850t850eu (2).png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow freezing fog heatwave thunderstorm
Just now, weathermadbarnsleylad said:

Azores ridging next Thursday. Is this a trend. Did it also show on the gem earlier? @NorthWest_Snow

h850t850eu (2).png

Just looked at gem same timescale. We have some agreement I think. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, weathermadbarnsleylad said:

Just looked at gem same timescale. We have some agreement I think. 

It all hangs on the Greeny high eroding as it does on this specific run - will need many subsequent runs to back this up! The evolution beyond T168 in the GFS 06Z isn't amazing but its a million times better than the current synoptic setup thats for sure! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I don't think the 06Z was that bad, over all: certainly nowhere near as bad as 2012 was!:oldgrin:

image.thumb.png.9bf3f8eea27e01a64a28036caa6d1d28.pngimage.thumb.png.d91ff3819984c748d04508232df034e2.png 

I also think that HLBs are given far too much credit (or blame) and the clusters spent the whole of last winter 'progging' immensely high SLP anomalies, from Greenland to Scandinavia...Even the experts (not just us armchair enthusiasts!) are unable to make reliable forecasts, for the next three-months...Que sera?:oldgood:

Edited by Ed Stone
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
29 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

Basically what I’ve been worried about for weeks now. Northern blocking sets in and just doesn’t budge.

Unfortunately the clusters have all locked in to another substantial Greenland block forming by day 10, those dark reds in completely the wrong place again. Don’t expect anything decent now before the last third of the month at a bare minimum, just a continuation of suppressed temperatures. Grim viewing if you like warm and settled weather in the summer.

Cluster 1 is the best option ...

Fingers and toes crossed..

• Like 2

Posted

And this is what the FV3 comes up with: the snot's still there, but Greenland HP isn't?:oldgrin:

image.thumb.png.30287176be11655590b9d418caa57519.pngimage.thumb.png.3776b5a406063df158d9da2cf7821b67.png 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: thunder

If the high pressure can get established and erode that cold pool we might be in business.  The pattern shows that whenever the cold pool dies out another injection beefs it up again from the north/north west.   

Holland eastwards look like the best place to be for a summer this year.

• Like 1

Posted

Time for the 06Z ensembles, which don't suggest a heatwave is imminent:

image.thumb.png.d127992b746371770e9f500c97cb8282.pngimage.thumb.png.47ec83922cb787ebc0503e0d2e327438.png 

image.thumb.png.7b2e9b8e92116487feb98195b03bf503.pngimage.thumb.png.472930092bc37602ee88dd9081dc5d94.png

The only positive, I can see (imagine?) is that scatter increases rapidly post Day 6...So perhaps a pattern-change is coming. Then again, perhaps a pattern-change isn't coming!:unknw:

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

I'd say the scatter isn't from a pattern change - northern blocking to persist etc - but with flabby lows and high pressure to the north you can get a whole raft of outcomes, hence all the noise.

You need to get really lucky in this sort of set up to not end up with rubbish weather. Best bet is probably a little stalling low to the west to scoop up some continental heat and send it our way. Certainly no strong anticyclone and home grown warmth like 2018, that's for sure.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.
1 hour ago, Ed Stone said:

Time for the 06Z ensembles, which don't suggest a heatwave is imminent:

image.thumb.png.d127992b746371770e9f500c97cb8282.pngimage.thumb.png.47ec83922cb787ebc0503e0d2e327438.png 

image.thumb.png.7b2e9b8e92116487feb98195b03bf503.pngimage.thumb.png.472930092bc37602ee88dd9081dc5d94.png

The only positive, I can see (imagine?) is that scatter increases rapidly post Day 6...So perhaps a pattern-change is coming. Then again, perhaps a pattern-change isn't coming!

These ensembles from GFS are not great again Pete. I've noticed how the FV3 is going from 10+c uppers some days, and back down to 0c the next, simply put, it has not got a clue. The ECM ensembles really do need to improve. The operational was again on the cold side, with the mean being a tad higher, but overall +7c uppers is still relatively disappointing for the time of year.. Big improvements required... I've just noticed Tamara has posted as I complete this, so hopefully she will bring a bit of joy. 

graphe3_1000_248_90___.png

graphe_ens3 (2).png

Edited by Mattwolves
  • Like 5

Posted
58 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

I'd say the scatter isn't from a pattern change[...]

Indeed it's not, mb: it's 'simply' down to information/signals being swamped by noise...Which is why I cannae help but imagine meteorology being in a similar (though FI will hopefully start a tad later?) position, 20-years' down the line, to where it is today.

Is there any single part of weather-forecasting that doesn't rely upon numerical modelling? I mean, a model's a model whether its numbers are crunched by computers, or by thousands of people armed with slide rules?

And, at the end of the day, a forecast is a forecast. It's not a guarantee!:unknw::oldgrin:

• Like 2

Posted

Earlier today there were some hefty Cu/Cbs around in these parts accompanied by some nasty showers During the morning these tended to become less developed as a layer of high Sc appeared to put the cap on them, and the showers died out. The midday sounding illustrates this.

2019060512.03808.skewt_parc.thumb.gif.f6d97c0cc45b8957a44878868aff5068.gif

Anyway enough of that twaddle and on to later today

The heavy showers over Scotland and N. Ireland will tend to die out this evening although the rain will linger a while over the latte, courtesy of the stray occlusion. But away to the south east there is a lot of convective activity moving north into the North sea from Germany, associated with the waving front, and that will just brush along the east coast Elsewhere a clear night and temps may well get down to near freezing in some spots in the south west

PPVA89.thumb.gif.06f54d99aa786913d42175d13b212618.gifPPVE89.thumb.gif.00a99abfd740252aeafe8d56b5904175.gifprecip_d02_12.thumb.png.fc944ef1ebe7dea620c40f1deb66000d.pngprecip_d02_15.thumb.png.db432db63dedd910b8c309cc70d5d8aa.pngprecip_d02_18.thumb.png.56e71f527111a25f4b190a4b356b0796.pngprecip_d02_21.thumb.png.52a233dea5be9dfa80665170ca158345.pngprecip_d02_24.thumb.png.4c0dd0398b88b341a9602408bfb732a4.pngprecip_d02_24.thumb.png.4c0dd0398b88b341a9602408bfb732a4.pngprecip_d02_27.thumb.png.9fa305784a22420ec3f871936569a9c1.pngsfctemp_d02_22.thumb.png.fd9c935159e45da4dca5e51b3e253c70.png

Edited by knocker
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.
4 hours ago, mb018538 said:

ec-ens_nat_z500scenarios_2019060500_240.

northern blocking isnt a problem per se, its there most of the time over greenland anyway. its only a problem for heat lovers if it is combined with troughing over scandinavia (like in 07, 08, 12) . if theres a ridge into europe, then we are likely to get a southeasterly flow... perhaps not dry, but its still warm.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.

A slightly better evolution from icon, still the signs of ridging approaching by day 7...im pretty sure if this ran just a few more days things would be looking a little more peachy... 

icon-0-150.png

icon-0-168.png

icon-0-180.png

icon-1-180.png

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings
1 hour ago, knocker said:

The heavy showers over Scotland and N. Ireland will tend to die out this evening although the rain will linger a while over the latte,

Has it smelled the coffee? ☕