Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - The Start Of Summer

Paul
Message added by Paul

This thread = Models, models and more models
Please remember that this thread is for discussing the model output only. If you want to chat about the summer weather more generally, please use the Summer chat and moans thread.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.
12 minutes ago, knocker said:

The good news vis the ext EPS mean anomalies...

What do you think this suggests in terms of rainfall distribution and frequency, Malcolm?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)
5 minutes ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

What do you think this suggests in terms of rainfall distribution and frequency, Malcolm?

Less rain than we saw yesterday hopefully.

I really must improve my standard of posting now I have no reputation!!:whistling:

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 7

Posted
11 minutes ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

Well keeping very much in mind this is a long way out to be talking rainfall particulars Chris but generally I suspect tending towards a NW/SE split with wet spells but nowt like the current set up.courtesy of the more fluid pattern

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

2012 has become  and the outlook similar....But I can become shot down with my predictions, get ready for your gun.....

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.
15 minutes ago, knocker said:

Well keeping very much in mind this is a long way out to be talking rainfall particulars Chris but generally I suspect tending towards a NW/SE split with wet spells but nowt like the current set up.courtesy of the more fluid pattern

Thanks - I appreciate that we can't extrapolate from anomalies to detailed forecasts.

Edited by chrisbell-nottheweatherman
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!

Oh the joys of being a heat and sun lover living in the UK and Ireland...the above charts sum it all up. (Link from Severe Weather Europe Facebook page)

We are always on the edge of glory in Summer and Winter. (If you like hot/sun and cold/snow)

Go to bed everyone - that’s enough heartbreak for one day. 

Edited by Mr Frost
  • Like 5

Posted
11 minutes ago, Mr Frost said:

Oh the joys of being a heat and sun lover living in the UK and Ireland...the above charts sum it all up. (Link from Severe Weather Europe Facebook page)

We are always on the edge of glory in Summer and Winter. (If you like hot/sun and cold/snow)

Go to bed everyone - that’s enough heartbreak for one day. 

We will get ours at some point this summer. It’s only a matter of time. It’ll be a huge shock if we don’t see a few days over 90F - it’s almost the norm these days.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: thunder

Yup. As the old phrase goes what goes up.. must come down. Hot rising air descends and we will endure wet cool weather well into July I think. 

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, StormChaseUK said:

Yup. As the old phrase goes what goes up.. must come down. Hot rising air descends and we will endure wet cool weather well into July I think. 

Maybe. Highly unlikely though.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: thunder
1 minute ago, Djdazzle said:

Maybe. Highly unlikely though.

I said the same about June in May and was laughed at ;)

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, StormChaseUK said:

I said the same about June in May and was laughed at ;)

That has no bearing on the next few weeks though. One lucky forecast!  Not saying you’re wrong. Maybe a bit of reverse psychology in play. . .

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Frost and snow. A quiet autumn day is also good.
1 hour ago, knocker said:

The good news vis the ext EPS mean anomalies is the Greenland block is eradicated and a much more fluid pattern established  Thus a return to a westerly upper flow eventually as the Atlantic trough weakens and retrogresses west, albeit no significant sign of the subtropical high flexing it's muscles  But it does trend towards positive anomalies so probably portending a more sunshine and sunny periods regime as the Pm and Tm airnasses phase with temps alternating around the average.

5-10.thumb.png.298f0d4f8b4fba867090a69c972205a1.png9-14.thumb.png.07840658d54a8c0b0eaa909c7a40a72d.pngindex.thumb.png.4cf591a027fad07f6a6b1fb91392a267.png

An improvement is certain now, and given flooding impacts of what has come this week a change is most welcome. Many of us here enjoy extreme weather events at different times of the year, but I don't think any of us enjoy seeing lives negatively impacted in this way. Last third of June should see much more in the way of a neutral to positive NAO signature which will allow high pressure to impact from the south from time to time but also with opportunities for the odd damp blip. In this context average temperatures a decent bet.

Taking a peek into July and I notice 2 things: a GEFS ultra extended that hints at the return of northern heights as the pacific wave fades, and secondly a MetO report rather in line with that GEFS prediction. Summer 2019 kicking off in a dramatically different style to 2018. Ebb and flow of a pattern setting up for the season? I had thought an improved end of the month might last long enough to encourage warmer air to the south to intrude for a bit and give sun/warmth lovers something to enjoy for a while in early July - but not quite so sure now. If Griceland heights build back again then chances of warm and dry fade.

In the meantime as things gradually improve trough impacts look likely to continue to have some degree of impact for another week yet.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

18z GFS says another deluge could come next week courtesy of a shallow low interacting with some warm air drifting N

image.thumb.png.5fdc01b2b425d0e5f9935ebd7089f3cf.png

image.thumb.png.f221039446bae5f0719d40ee95708556.png

Some ridging shown after this though towards day 8

image.thumb.png.40bf3632a36c7133d1d8891a753ae2fd.png

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers
2 hours ago, ANYWEATHER said:

2012 has become  and the outlook similar....But I can become shot down with my predictions, get ready for your gun.....

2012 was consistently miserable until early August though whilst this June has seen the rainfall totals bumped up by an exceptionally wet week across England and Wales.

A broken clock strikes right twice a day so I don't think anyone can take plaudits for these predictions when there is no predictive skill. If we see consistently low maxima and persistent wet weather till late July then the comparisons to 2007 and 2012 can be justified however one swallow doesn't make a summer.

image.thumb.png.ab866ecf77ef0cd5f2c1052b7bf0c69e.pngGFS overestimates these but worth keeping an eye on this.

I don't think there is much 'shannon entropy' about next week as the models have been fairly consistent. Not much in the way of rainy days next week with the exception of Wednesday which I've been keeping my eye on for a bit now. Some thundery potential for parts of England and some of these could bring high rainfall totals. High pressure signal for the weekend after next but that is where uncertainty begins to kick in.

Edited by Quicksilver1989
  • Like 1

Posted

And sure enough a shallow low does nip through the door and track north east and phase with the trough to the north and thus a day of showers and some longer periods of rain on Wednesday. Regional variations of temps around the average

t144.thumb.png.0e0808ed5302c7e53d207936108ccfac.pngt168.thumb.png.7db645b3c737938da8c9aa6c71a58a0e.png

The overall NH profile in the 5-10 range is pretty much as expected with now little sign of the block and couple of quite intense vortex lobes.

gfs-nhemi-z500_anom_5day-1334400.thumb.png.eebfb586b922edb1b6aaecb38b0c5b2c.png

Edited by knocker
  • Like 5

Again I think it’s a poor GFS 00z, in a normal summer we’d all be pretty meh about the output for next week, yes it’s much less bad than week but only the south east get one or days into the 20s and with a real failure to build any pressure near the UK the following weekend starting to look cool and wet. A spell of summer weather doesn’t look likely to occur any time soon. GFS also flirts with rebuilding heights over Greenland and ensembles beyond the 20th show little agreement which nearly always defaults to a continuation of an unsettled theme.

Oh well at least I’ve got a trip to the Rose bowl today to watch England / West Indies, oh wait looks showery most of the morning......

Posted

image.thumb.png.3fe396876c775d7c4a6a41d1b0c86e15.png

A RIDGE!!!!!

Perhaps,a critical aspect of EC is that it not building a ridge to the NW as GFS does, unfortunately for those to the north west, the NW/SE split that has been previously discussed would likely come to fruition.

So, summer to remain on hold for many away from the SE i would speculate..

Edited by northwestsnow
  • Like 2

Posted

The ecm not dissimilar to the gfs tracking a shallow low north east and phasing it with the trough to the north so quite a wet day Weds and sunshine and showers Thursday. And then the more fluid west > east pattern

t144.thumb.png.9d328ba757c7dd8d886a3b9fa5afbd7d.pngt168.thumb.png.06c2436b88041d177421b5c2c84b265f.pngt192.thumb.png.ef6160367a025660e171e6b641de19ef.png

Edited by knocker
  • Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, northwestsnow said:

image.thumb.png.3fe396876c775d7c4a6a41d1b0c86e15.png

A RIDGE!!!!!

Perhaps,a critical aspect of EC is that it not building a ridge to the NW as GFS does, unfortunately for those to the north west, the NW/SE split that has been previously discussed would likely come to fruition.

So, summer to remain on hold for many away from the SE i would speculate..

It's almost an Autumnal looking pattern, although less deep lows and warmer rain.

It’s poor across the board this morning, ECM is especially disappointing. Hard to see anything dry and settled before July now. Lack of posts sums it up. A dreadful June.