Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - The Start Of Summer

Paul
Message added by Paul

This thread = Models, models and more models
Please remember that this thread is for discussing the model output only. If you want to chat about the summer weather more generally, please use the Summer chat and moans thread.

Posted
21 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

GFS op promoting a change from the deluge as we head through next week.

image.thumb.png.04a199a64b21760b9dc76802dc6fd7ef.png

Yes the building blocks are there for something much improved, too many in here are obsessing over the details of individual runs and theatrically throwing words like 'vile', 'dire' and 'atrocious' at them.

There is a definite trend for heights lowering over Greenland. Also on this latest GFS run, later on the door seems to be opened for the Azores high to begin to extend towards our shores. No real heat showing but at this time of year it will be warm enough in any sunshine.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: thunder
31 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Error on GFS charts? every 6 hours it's this

ukprec.png

Comes to something when the weather is so bad we can't tell if glitch or real

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

UKMO shows a NW/SE split developing next week and a further draining of heights over Greenland:

1469FDB0-D9EF-4268-82A7-8D0F9C38D7D5.png

F7930D74-683A-4A3B-A930-B28E7176314A.png

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

And, here are the 12Z ensembles: the op's on the warm side -- at ground level. And there's a hint of thundery downpours!:shok:

image.thumb.png.3eb2c65a86a566bea3abf719b7656be3.pngimage.thumb.png.62b595487277675184d5a8000d01dbe6.png   image.thumb.png.e66b7b138a64f308843d4deae7f86878.pngimage.thumb.png.1ec285f7017c3eff0ec08e31e8504a16.png  

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW AND FREEZING TEMPS

Something wrong with the gfs tonight I think lol . Imagine the op being true on this graph -25 850s and rising to +25 850s by the end . This place would be in meltdown

AB795CE2-2300-4A2F-A3A6-3425C6770DDA.png

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
11 minutes ago, Jonathan Rhodri Roberts said:

Out of interest when people often refer to a NW/SE split, what would South Wales come under as we're in the western half of the U.K. but closer to the SE than the NW? Next week for example what weather can we expect? 

There’s no hard and fast rule, depends on the synoptic set up. Rule of thumb the further north and west - cooler and wetter, the further south and east - warmer and drier. South Wales can sometimes be on the boundary in these situations, so cloudier but not as wet as areas further north. 

Edited by danm
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.
5 minutes ago, danm said:

There’s no hard and fast rule, depends on the synoptic set up. Rule of thumb the further north and west - cooler and wetter, the further south and east - warmer and drier. South Wales can sometimes be on the boundary in these situations, so cloudier but not as wet as areas further north. 

Indeed, it's a continuum.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

looks more summery, feel quite humid I would think, 20 degrees plus for the south, thundery shower risk

ECM1-168.GIF?12-0

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

Ecm looks ok-ish without being amazing. By day 8-10 the surface pattern doesn’t look too unsettled, but the upper air profile is still dragging cooler air down - 0c isotherm through Scotland again.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.

Well it's a better ECM.. not great, temps probably back up to average for the time of year. One thing of note though is the decreasing pressure values over Greenland. 

ECM1-120.gif

ECM1-168 (2).gif

ECM1-216 (3).gif

ECM1-240 (2).gif

• Like 5

ECM is a bit Meh, yes it’s much less bad, but still showery and probably little sunshine during the peak of the day, lots of infill etc. A small step in the right direction.....

Posted
Just now, Alderc said:

ECM is a bit Meh, yes it’s much less bad, but still showery and probably little sunshine during the peak of the day, lots of infill etc. A small step in the right direction.....

Yes, no heatwave but certainly better to the south of the midlands as a rough guide.

Certainly its possible the North west is changeable and one of those scenarios were its cloudy and 16 in manchester and 24 and sunny in London.

Either way, it looks better than the dross experienced for the last few weeks.

• Like 3

Posted
4 minutes ago, Alderc said:

Talk about glass half empty. It’s a good run, and it will be warm in the south.

Edited by Djdazzle
  • Like 3

Posted

Thanks for that insightful post @Mike Poole hadn't seen you post much recently, but good to see you still bringing us your expertise

• Like 4

Posted
2 minutes ago, Djdazzle said:

Talk about glass half empty. It’s a good run, and it will be warm in the south.

Like I've said many times before... If your searching a major heatwave then you may be disappointed, in the short term anyway!! What makes me feel more upbeat though, is the potentially dislodging of heights to our NW. If this continues to go to plan, I feel much more hopeful for July. 

• Like 5

Posted
Just now, Mattwolves said:

Like I've said many times before... If your searching a major heatwave then you may be disappointed, in the short term anyway!! What makes me feel more upbeat though, is the potentially dislodging of heights to our NW. If this continues to go to plan, I feel much more hopeful for July. 

Yes and certain folk seeking such a heatwave should be looking for the building blocks to be in place first. At least we are seeing this now.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
2 minutes ago, Mattwolves said:

Even if we don't see a heatwave this month, there's plenty of time during July, August and September...Wait till the hurricane season kicks off? Plenty model-related headaches to come yet. Before snow becomes the object of desire, once again!:oldgood:

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
1 hour ago, Jonathan Rhodri Roberts said:

Out of interest when people often refer to a NW/SE split, what would South Wales come under as obviously we're in the western half of the U.K. but closer to the SE than the NW? Next week for example what weather can we expect? 

Usually but not always if you live south of a line roughly from Bristol to the wash then you usually fair better. So I guess all of Wales would be north of that line & into the not so good category.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

Probably looking like pressure won’t rise sufficiently to keep things dry, even the SE may cop a few showers. I think we can assume now that early next week won’t be anything great, so all eyes on whether that Azores high can build in later next week.

Posted
3 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

Probably looking like pressure won’t rise sufficiently to keep things dry, even the SE may cop a few showers. I think we can assume now that early next week won’t be anything great, so all eyes on whether that Azores high can build in later next week.

I think that Temps up to and slightly above average with spells of sunshine interspersed with a 'few showers' is a significant improvement from this week's relentless rain, storms, flooding and temps in the low teens!

• Like 2

Posted

ECM mean folks, still pleased to see the lowering heights over Greenland, for me, this is the main feature. 

And as Mike pointed out... Pressure rises looking good in the later frames.

EDM0-144.gif

EDM0-168.gif

EDM1-192.gif

EDM1-216.gif

EDM0-216.gif

EDM0-240.gif

EDM1-240.gif

Edited by Mattwolves
  • Like 5