Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - The Start Of Summer

Paul
Message added by Paul

This thread = Models, models and more models
Please remember that this thread is for discussing the model output only. If you want to chat about the summer weather more generally, please use the Summer chat and moans thread.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
27 minutes ago, mushymanrob said:

loving these charts, but sadly its probably an outlier and unlikely to verify?..

hot.png

boiling.png

Yes, great charts, but a bit optimistic I reckon, will be more westerly still good though, may even make dizzy heights of 20 degrees for NE Midlands

hope EC follows trend for big improvement

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny days and balmy evenings.
1 minute ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Yes, great charts, but a bit optimistic I reckon, will be more westerly still good though, may even make dizzy heights of 20 degrees for NE Midlands

hope EC follows trend for big improvement

The new update debuts on tonight's 12z. Fingers crossed it continues the positive trends....

• Like 2

Posted

12z operational huge outlier, which isn't surprising. Although most members do show significant improvement, perhaps not to the extent of the op, but still much better than this week!

• Like 1

Posted

So it is still raining in Mansfield - 31 hours non-stop now - and yet many forecasts kept saying throughout today that it would eventually dry up this afternoon - raintoday has constantly said the rain would ease off in the 3rd/4th hour of its forecast only to change as the timeframe drew nearer.

Does anyone actually know when it will stop? (And that is not meant to be sarcastic) 

Looking at the radar it looks very unlikely that it will be this evening as many forecasts suggested earlier today.

And if not, then what chance is there for accurate forecasting days in advance when we can't forecast a few hours ahead as seems to be the case at the moment. (Again not being sarcastic)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

And the GFS 12Z Operational really is an outlier!

image.thumb.png.8658737fee95801abfe08a4e0fdc645d.pngimage.thumb.png.11615c1650308e9a3f9c9ee31cd22c50.png  

image.thumb.png.e01e985a6cb2460ae4cb016e5cf2d897.pngimage.thumb.png.91544e472bc5268134b11630d4565ac2.png 

But, hey...the FV3 goes live on Friday!:shok:

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
2 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

upto 144, and looks good

ECM1-144.GIF?11-0

Yes, cold rain replaced by warmer rain at that point. Interestingly, I looked at the corresponding precipitation charts on the GFS 12z run, and they still show some rain across the UK, even with better looking synoptics.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
4 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

Yes, cold rain replaced by warmer rain at that point. Interestingly, I looked at the corresponding precipitation charts on the GFS 12z run, and they still show some rain across the UK, even with better looking synoptics.

Depends on location. Looks more settled down here in the SE on that chart. 

Posted

It's more about the progression though, it's certainly moving in the right direction, even if we have a bit more dross to get through beforehand. I'd certainly take warm rain over the current horrible cold conditions. Details still to be decided for early next week anyway. The BBC have it dry here on Monday at the moment and 20C.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
6 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

happily take warmer rain, rather rain at 19 degrees than 9 degrees

Posted
2 minutes ago, danm said:

Depends on location. Looks more settled down here in the SE on that chart. 

Yes, certainly drier further SE

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Scorcher said:

It's more about the progression though, it's certainly moving in the right direction, even if we have a bit more dross to get through beforehand. I'd certainly take warm rain over the current horrible cold conditions. Details still to be decided for early next week anyway. The BBC have it dry here on Monday at the moment and 20C.

Some warmer air being pulled N at 168 on the ECM. Depends how any troughing interacts with the warm air after that point- if it engages in a certain way, we'll be flooded out after this week's rain.

Conversely, if pressure builds, we'll get at least some sort of a warm spell.

• Like 2

Posted

The ECM shows northern blocking not disbanding as much as was once suggested. The consequence is troughing sticking around the vicinity of the UK.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

The ECM shows northern blocking not disbanding as much as was once suggested. The consequence is troughing sticking around the vicinity of the UK.

Was just going to post the same. The last couple of days have shown it decaying by day 10, tonight it’s still very much there by day 9. One to watch....if it doesn’t shift then we won’t get too far.

Posted
Just now, mb018538 said:

Was just going to post the same. The last couple of days have shown it decaying by day 10, tonight it’s still very much there by day 9. One to watch....if it doesn’t shift then we won’t get too far.

Modelling can sometimes be too eager to remove N blocking, which is why it sometimes seems to intensify as we get towards days 4&5.

If it doesn't shift, some places will be looking at their wettest June on record.

• Like 1

Just now, mb018538 said:

This is from the model that’s already the best and had a big upgrade today, really not what we were all hoping for.....GFS clearly a massive outlier and the outliers being driven by a tendency to break down the northerly blocking. Bit of a horrid rut summer 2019 appears to be stuck in....

Posted
3 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

See where it sits in the ensembles. And whether it’s repeated on the 00z.

Posted

I will reserve judgement on EC until i have seen the wz version as i openly admit i find WZ better to analyze, of course the ens will be interesting.

From what i can see, the op looks OK to me, esp the further away from the far NW one heads, as it stands, a NW/SE split is favoured but at this range, the dividing line is difficult to pin down..

• Like 1

Posted

I do wonder whether the fact we've hit solar min is having an effect. Just like the summers around the turn of the decade.

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, CreweCold said:

I do wonder whether the fact we've hit solar min is having an effect. Just like the summers around the turn of the decade.

Possibly. Although it’s a bit early to make that link. You can still have hot summers with solar minimums.

Posted
1 minute ago, Djdazzle said:

Possibly. Although it’s a bit early to make that link. You can still have hot summers with solar minimums.

Indeed, though I was pertaining more to the characteristics of the jet. I.e highly meridional. When the jet exhibits these characteristics, weather conditions on the ground can remain quasi-stationary for extended periods. Whether you're stuck under troughing or HP.

• Like 3