Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 01/06/2019 Onwards

Mapantz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

Cold and foggy this evening. 0.8°C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

I hope the sunshine levels on my birthday cake overcome the grey here this morning, and Scotland don’t steal that mild! 

6.8°C following a low of 0.1°C at: 02:30

B6D20CAD-8A81-4332-BE3E-98C437803990.jpeg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot in Summer Cold in Winter
4 hours ago, CheesepuffScott said:

I hope the sunshine levels on my birthday cake overcome the grey here this morning, and Scotland don’t steal that mild! 

6.8°C following a low of 0.1°C at: 02:30

B6D20CAD-8A81-4332-BE3E-98C437803990.jpeg

Happy Birthday

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Cold and foggy this morning with the temp hovering between 4 and 5C but the sun has broken through since midday and the temp is responding nicely!

Much prefer this weather.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Sunny spells to start with but it has clouded over now. Pretty much the same as it has been for the past 4 days.

Posted
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.

Unusual start here.  We woke to clear skies and sunshine, temperature around 5°C.  Drove in to Sherborne, less than 4 miles, car temp showed possibility of ice (4°C) and in the centre of town it was down to 2°C and cars still had frozen windscreens.  Normally it's the other way round with us in the countryside having the lower temperatures.  Anyway, we had pretty much wall to wall sunshine.  Clouded over about four to ruin any chance of a decent sunset!

Posted

A mix of weather today, a cloudy start with sunny spells by late morning, clouding over once again, before it cleared to blue skies around 3pm and then it clouded over just in time for sunset!

Reached 9.9°C, however... currently 6.4°C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Cloudy earlier but hazy sun appeared around lunchtime and lasted for a few hours this afternoon before it clouded over again later on. Reached 10.0°C, currently 7.9°C

Posted

Does anyone know the official line on counting dew deposits as 'wet' days? I'm currently on a 26 day record (for the site) run of 'wet' calendar days but 7 of them are single 0.2mm Davis bucket tips (sometimes 0.1 or 0.3mm in the manual gauge), and several of those I have attributed to overnight dew.

Edited by DaveL

Posted
2 minutes ago, DaveL said:

Does anyone know the official line on counting dew deposits as rainfall? I'm currently on a 26 day record (for the site) run of 'wet' calendar days but 7 of them are single 0.2mm Davis bucket tips (sometimes 0.1 or 0.3mm in the manual gauge), and several of those I have attributed to overnight dew.

Always a good question and comes up now and again. As far as I know, it counts towards rainfall totals, but it cannot be classed as a 'rain day' unfortunately, weather software cannot account for this (assuming that it is being used in conjunction with an automated station) so it will always show a rain day. Obviously, manually recording rainfall, you don't get that problem.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Mapantz said:

Always a good question and comes up now and again. As far as I know, it counts towards rainfall totals, but it cannot be classed as a 'rain day' unfortunately, weather software cannot account for this (assuming that it is being used in conjunction with an automated station) so it will always show a rain day. Obviously, manually recording rainfall, you don't get that problem.

Ah OK, thanks for that. Fortunately I keep a manual spreadsheet daily with space for comments and I always mark the suspected dew days. Sadly, this means no record in spite of the Davis software insisting every day that it is!

Posted
2 minutes ago, DaveL said:

Ah OK, thanks for that. Fortunately I keep a manual spreadsheet daily with space for comments and I always mark the suspected dew days. Sadly, this means no record in spite of the Davis software insisting every day that it is!

The only thing I can think of that might help is investing in the Davis rain gauge heater. I'm not sure it can stop dew building up, though, as it's for melting snow. I'm quite anal when it comes to my weather data, but I gave up on that one a long time ago. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Back to being dull again today after a sunnier day yesterday. 8.4°C

Posted

The overnight low was 4.6°C... it has been grey and cloudy all day, no sunshine to be seen. Reached 8.4°C earlier.

Currently 7.8°C

Posted

No surprise it’s overcast, and mild at 7C, to finish the year and the decade., but at least it’s dry...For now cheers and I’ll catch you in...

image.jpeg.c4169fcd66ec14fada155635f5436bfd.jpeg

Edited by Dorsetbred

Posted

Happy New Year

Here's to a more interesting year this year. Well let's face it, it can't get much worse than nearly all of 2019 was.