Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 01/06/2019 Onwards

Mapantz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
4 minutes ago, Dorsetbred said:

Bring on those showers, they look feisty...

image.thumb.png.9e40e913eeb2777c4a6324f2ce763c83.png

This is what it will look like when it get's to us: 

250270490_Annotation2019-12-08185330.thumb.png.89cb05d4ab0e2fca3070b159f31871c1.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in
45 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

This is what it will look like when it get's to us: 

250270490_Annotation2019-12-08185330.thumb.png.89cb05d4ab0e2fca3070b159f31871c1.png

Already happened here with the showers earlier this afternoon yet to the north they stayed intact. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic Storms, Thunder & Lightning, Snow.

Very strong gusty wind, hail and extremely loud thunder, power interrupted. North Cornwall now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Getting gusty here but I think more convective gusts so far. Plenty of rain too...

Yawn.

Edited by MP-R

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

Windy here but only reasonably gusty when the rain picks up now and again. 6.8°C

Posted
25 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

Average speed is 51mph on Portland.

2019-12-08.thumb.png.c838d68e1ba2dfad7f5433b552f2a1e9.png

I can confirm this as this is where I'm now located. Took the dog out half hour ago she had a quick pee and dragged me back home lol

• Like 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, skyblusam said:

I can confirm this as this is where I'm now located. Took the dog out half hour ago she had a quick pee and dragged me back home lol

I can imagine. It's a great vantage point during stormy weather. I'd quite like to be fishing down at Chesil right now.

It's the complete opposite here, breezy, with the occasional 30mph gust. It was windier during a shower this afternoon.

Have you had any flood sirens go off yet?

Posted
23 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

I can imagine. It's a great vantage point during stormy weather. I'd quite like to be fishing down at Chesil right now.

It's the complete opposite here, breezy, with the occasional 30mph gust. It was windier during a shower this afternoon.

Have you had any flood sirens go off yet?

I've only lived here since April I'm up the top of island not heard anything but not sure if I would hear them up here. As for storms our flat has a nice sea view that last big storm was great me and the daughter just stood at the window with lights off. It was just a constant strobe. 

Posted

Rather uneventful passing of storm atiyah to be honest, although it did eventually track somewhat north of it's original projected route I think. Forecast suggests still some gusty conditions through the English Channel. Although Portland did manage to be in the top 5 gusts overnight. Here's the top 20 gusts, and we have quite few of the places taken locally...

image.thumb.png.b26ae20c6c6dac69a5889f44ba6015a7.png

Posted

Wind through the early hours kept up with 15-20mph and plenty of 25-32 mph gusts, a few 35mph ones.
Seemed to have calmed down a bit now, 10-15mph, with plenty of 20-25mph gusts.
Had a little rain at 5am, 0.2mm.
Nicely brightening up now.

Looking like more and stronger wind Tuesday and Thursday. Forecasts showing 40-52 mph gusts for most of the day on Tuesday and 30-43mph Thursday.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wind Storms, Severe Thunderstorms, Hot and Sunny, Tornadoes

I was out for 8hrs last night driving around the Cornwall coast line and managed to record a gust of 81mph at Lands End, a gust of 89mph at Perranporth Beach, a gust of 72 at Lizard, a gust of 69 at Port Issac and a gust of 73 at Boscastle. All using my digital anemometer. 

Surprising the sustained wind speeds were lower than I thought they would be so extreme differences between sustained and gusts. Recorded anywhere between 25mph and 40mph sustained winds. 

• Like 1

Posted

Utterly hilarious! Every forecast and app has a dry day for this region yet here we are just after 11am and it is pouring down! Plus there have been plenty of showers around all morning!

Posted

Not much happened here over night.

Highest gust was yesterday was outside of the warning period, during a shower, 41mph. Highest gust inside of the warning period was 37mph.

Tuesday is showing far higher gusts than yesterday, but no warning out for down here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Sunny all day with blue skies and a cold breeze. Reached 10.5°C, currently 4.2°C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

It’s been sunny today albeit breezy.

Reached 8.7°C .. currently 2.7°C

Edited by CheesepuffScott

Posted

So, I was under a yellow warning for wind yesterday with forecast speeds of 28 - 41mph. Tomorrow, the winds are forecast to be 50mph + for around 6 hours, with the peak of those winds around evening rush hour, and no yellow warning?!

No consistency whatsoever.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot in Summer Cold in Winter

Sunshine and a blustery NW wind this morning, a starry sky and hardly any wind at all this evening

Posted
4 hours ago, Mapantz said:

So, I was under a yellow warning for wind yesterday with forecast speeds of 28 - 41mph. Tomorrow, the winds are forecast to be 50mph + for around 6 hours, with the peak of those winds around evening rush hour, and no yellow warning?!

No consistency whatsoever.

Yeah quite low wind speeds for most inland regions too but excluding the far south, southwest and Ireland ofcourse worth noting a station at Weybourne got to 60mph mid morning.

A couple of stations near me recorded 36 and 39mph around mid morning. Just 36 hours earlier Arpege showed 75-85mph here

you gotta just laugh at output sometimes.

The same models that where more correct for last night are showing 45-55mph tomorrow for places inland but along the coast 60mph is shown. I think you'll see above that 41mph tomorrow.

Edited by jordan smith

Posted

A frosty night, well up until 2am that was, then the wind started in from the SW and the the frost disappeared rapidly. Now warm and breezy oh and cloudy to go with it. Temperature 9.6°C, with the wind gusting @ 18mph from the SW.

Edited by Dorsetbred