Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 01/06/2019 Onwards

Mapantz

Posted
22 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

Shouldn't be long until it ramps up more for you, lettice. 

Recorded a gust of 47mph on both my stations.

Yes, been watching your station and saw a short lull and then the 53mph.
We are in that lull here now, gusts down to 30mph.

The forecasts so far have been about right, showing late 35-40mph gusts. They are showing a pick up for us to 42-55 in next few hours.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Holy crapola! Average just hit 30mph. That is pretty special here.

Also hit 51.4mph on my second station

20191102_082455.thumb.jpg.a5a46f513bf1c5b5c0112373bd40828a.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Just recorded a 50mph gust which is impressive considering my station never picks up the highest speeds. Easily breaks my record wind gust. 

Edited by matt111

Posted

Gusting 43mph here in the garden, with an average 25mph. Had to tie the dog down, save em being blown away, they are only small and these gusts have quite some force.. Wind direction change is showing already in Bridport so it's moving eastwards, seemingly centered somewhere near Cardiff at the moment, so watching the direction down here, to watch it's track across the area..

Quick check on here enable you see the Dorset direction & speeds 

WEATHER.IANMILLARD.COM

Windycator combines data from a large number of weather stations and presents a convenient live wind map for sailors and other watersports enthusiasts

Nice view across Swanage bay showing some rough conditions  

Sandbanks ferry still running by the look of the Haven webcam

And Boscombe beach, not surprisingly has no grockles today

WWW.SORTEDSURFSHOP.CO.UK

Surf cams from all the surfing beaches of Bournemouth and Boscombe, so you can keep up to date with live surf conditions. Get in the water when surfing conditions...

Edited by Dorsetbred

Posted
3 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

Quite frankly, i'm shocked at this not being named, or highlighted with an amber warning.

Makes a farce of the whole storm naming thing, where people decide to pick and choose.. Let's face if we are seeing 77mph @ Portland Bill it surely rates as a named storm?

• Like 1

Posted
38 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

Quite frankly, i'm shocked at this not being named, or highlighted with an amber warning.

I admit I was somewhat surprise that it wasn't upgraded to amber as it was wild down here earlier (a tad easier now) with a 79mph gust at Culdrose and blowing a full force 9 for a short time

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Mostly light rain so far but very windy at times! Sunny at the moment.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fair to Foul...

Broken cloud. Breeze abated. 11.6c.

Posted
48 minutes ago, knocker said:

I admit I was somewhat surprise that it wasn't upgraded to amber as it was wild down here earlier (a tad easier now) with a 79mph gust at Culdrose and blowing a full force 9 

Was very surprised there wasn't a yellow warning earlier in the week.  I assume the meto were looking at the same charts that you shared ?‍♀️

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Much calmer now, dry and cloudy and breezy rather than very windy like it was an hour ago. 

Posted
4 minutes ago, Frosty hollows said:

Was very surprised there wasn't a yellow warning earlier in the week.  I assume the meto were looking at the same charts that you shared ?‍♀️

The problem, as I see it, of jumping in too early this week is the complication of rapid cyclogenisis associated with the jet and knowing whether this is likely and if so the direction of travel. And as always Exeter are in a far better to assess this than me by a country mile. But I don't fully understand no amber but no doubt they had their reasons

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic Storms, Thunder & Lightning, Snow.
WWW.CORNWALLLIVE.COM

Gusts as fast as 113mph have been battering Cornwall

Posted

Suppose they always have their reason for a weather event going wrong or worse but that doesn't change the mistake if im honest. 

This is their tweet earlier.. 

Screenshot_20191102_112634_com.android.chrome.thumb.jpg.30507ea741e5ea2fa80a253814ed35cd.jpg

Edited by jordan smith

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
10 minutes ago, knocker said:

The problem, as I see it, of jumping in too early this week is the complication of rapid cyclogenisis associated with the jet and knowing whether this is likely and if so the direction of travel. And as always Exeter are in a far better to assess this than me by a country mile. But I don't fully understand no amber but no doubt they had their reasons

Looks like it should have been red - if 113mph isn't danger to life then i don't know what is, they did a re-run of the 87 storm using the same data but with todays technology and that was just over 100mph and they said there would have definitely been a red warning had the technology been in place then.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Anyway - apart from the danger to life and property, this must have been a stonker for severe weather fans down there - why do i never get any severe weather anymore.