Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 01/06/2019 Onwards

Mapantz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms. Warm weather. Not hot or cold weather.

rain has stopped. 18.8 mm from midnight.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
On 12/10/2019 at 02:00, jordan smith said:

Yeah it has been a while since we've had a really wet October I remember October 2013 definitely was wet but this looks like shaping to be wetter than that looks like I'm getting constant rainfall until atleast midday tomorrow hirlam showing 35-45mm around here that's not even including next week. Recorded 8mm so far. How much have you recorded since roughly the weekend of 21st 22nd September when the really unsettled stuff started? For me it's 126mm.?️

210mm the total for here. If it had all fallen in a calendar month I'd be on to the second wettest month I've recorded. I have to go back to November 2009 to find a run of rainfall totals like the last 20 days. That month totaled 275.6mm here, making it the wettest month I've ever recorded by far. November 2002 takes second place with 202mm.

Shock horror, it's not raining today and looks like the heaviest of the precipitation moved north to the east of this area earlier on.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, MP-R said:

210mm the total for here. If it had all fallen in a calendar month I'd be on to the second wettest month I've recorded. I have to go back to November 2009 to find a run of rainfall totals like the last 20 days. That month totaled 275.6mm here, making it the wettest month I've ever recorded by far. November 2002 takes second place with 202mm.

Shock horror, it's not raining today and looks like the heaviest of the precipitation moved north to the east of this area earlier on.

Wow that's alot still raining here will check how much and update it those where very wet autumn's actually what about October 2000 did you measure rainfall then? :oldrolleyes:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Finally stopped raining for the first time since Friday although it’s only been light rain since last night as the heavier rain moved and stayed just to the north. 15.1°C

Posted
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.

Don't get over excited, but I can see blue sky and sunshine!

Posted
2 hours ago, jordan smith said:

Wow that's alot still raining here will check how much and update it those where very wet autumn's actually what about October 2000 did you measure rainfall then? :oldrolleyes:

Sadly not, although Bristol Weather Centre which was still operational then, and not too far from me, recorded 181mm in October 2000, having collected 152mm in September and then 160mm in November. Assuming similar figures would've been the case in North Somerset, my next wettest was November 2012 with 195.2mm

Interesting to note that really wet autumns have more commonly led on to chillier winters than not, often due to a southerly tracking jet stream. Knowing our luck that won't apply this year but it's an interesting thought.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

Glimmers of brightness here with the sun having a nose from behind the clouds! 14.4°C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

lol

image.thumb.png.64877a5401070921158a9fdbbbf2c5e0.png

Posted
44 minutes ago, MP-R said:

Sadly not, although Bristol Weather Centre which was still operational then, and not too far from me, recorded 181mm in October 2000, having collected 152mm in September and then 160mm in November. Assuming similar figures would've been the case in North Somerset, my next wettest was November 2012 with 195.2mm

Interesting to note that really wet autumns have more commonly led on to chillier winters than not, often due to a southerly tracking jet stream. Knowing our luck that won't apply this year but it's an interesting thought.

Wow that really is alot and yeah I've noticed that too. I'm sure we will have something different to the last few winters I think something may be brewing.. But anyway stopped raining here now 26.5mm fell takes my total from the 22nd September to today to 145mm.?️:oldgood:

• Like 1

Posted

October 2000 here saw 174mm, preceded by 134.5 in September and followed by 164mm in November and 212mm in December, those four months accounted for over 50% of that year's annual total.

Other October figures: 2001-153mm, 2002-177mm, 2004-186mm, 2006-175mm, then a gap to 2013- 173.5.

Since September 21st this year there has been 178mm and only one completely dry day on October 2nd

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Bit different now, sunny with blue skies. 15.4°C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

I cannot remember the exact figure, but I had close to 300mm in a 30 day period during the 2013/14 Winter. The whole Winter saw around 500mm.

There's been 237.2mm since September 22nd.

Anyway, anemometer sorted out. A good few hours of sunshine this afternoon too.

• Like 2

Posted

I’ve just done some random statto research and came up with this.

Tomorrow will be the 7th wet (whether drizzle, showers or heavy rain) Monday afternoon in a row, having counted back in my recordings book there were that many wet Monday afternoons in the previous 18 months (March 2018-August 2019).

Posted

Blue skies to end the day after the rain this morning. Reached 16.7°C, currently 13.5°C

Seems some very heavy rain possible somewhere for a time tomorrow although looks like it might be further east at the moment. 

Edited by matt111

Posted
7 hours ago, Mapantz said:

I cannot remember the exact figure, but I had close to 300mm in a 30 day period during the 2013/14 Winter. The whole Winter saw around 500mm.

There's been 237.2mm since September 22nd.

Anyway, anemometer sorted out. A good few hours of sunshine this afternoon too.

That winter certainly was extraordinarily wet and stormy the lack of high pressure for so long was crazy. Was an angry winter. :oldmellow:

Edited by jordan smith

Posted
4 hours ago, Andy Bown said:

I’ve just done some random statto research and came up with this.

Tomorrow will be the 7th wet (whether drizzle, showers or heavy rain) Monday afternoon in a row, having counted back in my recordings book there were that many wet Monday afternoons in the previous 18 months (March 2018-August 2019).

Funny how weather happens like that sometimes.. such as the three wet Saturday nights into Sundays events that we've had atm. :oldlaugh:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

Its been a very wet few months in Weston super mare

August 152.8mm

September 104.4mm

October 109.4mm and counting

It would be highly unusual if it continued this wet through the rest of Autumn and Winter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Today is another example of poor warnings. It was always looking like the SE would see the worst of it, so I couldn't understand why the MetOffice issued a warning covering parts of the SW. We get over two inches of rain over the weekend, and no warnings, then a warning issued for 10mm of rain. It's  happened countless time over the past couple of months. Consistency is useless.

Posted
7 hours ago, SteveB said:

Its been a very wet few months in Weston super mare

August 152.8mm

September 104.4mm

October 109.4mm and counting

It would be highly unusual if it continued this wet through the rest of Autumn and Winter.

My word! That figure for August! When on earth did that fall?

• Like 1

Posted

More rain so far today then yesterday as this time it’s quite heavy unlike the light rain all morning yesterday. 7.0mm so far, 12.3°C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms
1 hour ago, MP-R said:

My word! That figure for August! When on earth did that fall?

Between the 4th and 22nd, must have been a lot of heavy showers.