Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 01/06/2019 Onwards

Mapantz

Posted
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.

36.5mm to 09.00GMT.  Month's total so far 110.6mm.  First month of any name with more than one day 25+mm since January 2014.  Currently not raining and there's a bit of blue showing.

Goodness, mapantz!  I thought we'd had a lot.

Edited by Lyn-M
  • Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, mike5900 said:

25 mm  rain so far today. A few rumbles of thunder at 8.45 am. 

Is that from midnight, Mike or from 09.00GMT yesterday?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms. Warm weather. Not hot or cold weather.

From midnight. 6.2 mm yesterday. 

Edited by mike5900

Posted

Was a loud night for sleeping with lots of heavy pulses of rain. Total since midnight is 33.7mm here.

Currently in another downpour and have heard a few rumbles in the past 10 minutes.

16.2°C

Posted
1 hour ago, jtay said:

Woohoo! Thunder!

Horrible day though.

The pupils at my wife’s school enjoyed it!

1 hour ago, Lyn-M said:

36.5mm to 09.00GMT.  Month's total so far 110.6mm.  First month of any name with more than one day 25+mm since January 2014.  Currently not raining and there's a bit of blue showing.

Goodness, mapantz!  I thought we'd had a lot.

That’s remarkable when you consider how dry the month has been until the last few days.

34mm here from early afternoon yesterday until 10.00 today.

Posted

Remember we had that little low that made a nuisance of itself on the 9th and dumped 45.7mm on us.  So two days have so far contributed 75% of the month's rainfall.

Posted
2 hours ago, Frosty hollows said:

Poured solidly from 5am til 9am. Bit of a lull before the next band moves in. Might get a few claps in that lot 

:clap::clap::clap:

I hope that helps..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Very heavy rain that lasted quite a while this morning but didn’t hear any thunder. 25mm since midnight, 34.6mm in the last 24 hours. 

Sunny at the moment with blue skies  18.6°C

Edited by matt111

Posted

Thundery rain this morning has now ended. Total rainfall since midnight is 34.9mm of rain, which makes this the wettest day since February earlier this year! Really does highlight the lack of rainfall overall in the last few months.

24 hour rainfall is 41.5mm, not seen this for a while either!

Currently sunny and 18.2°C

Edited by Dean E

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

A mixture this afternoon. We've had some sharp heavy showers (notably around 2:30pm) with lengthy hazy spells of sunshine which have felt warm despite the strong breeze.

Currently 18.5°C after reaching 19.5°C earlier.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

No showers here since this mornings deluge. I wonder if I can obtain a new daily rain record with the rain moving this way? 34.2mm to beat on this station. My all time record was in excess of 50mm back in 2012 on a different weather station.

Just found it..

1003588214_2019-09-24(2).thumb.png.cbd069a47460ff3c99fb483a1238c928.png

Edited by Mapantz

Posted

A very wet second half of yesterday and especially overnight. 36.1 mm from that lot, and then some lively showers through today, with a few periods of sunshine. Gusty winds at times too. The next batch of rain is just about here! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms. Warm weather. Not hot or cold weather.

Rain rate this morning. I

IMG_20190924_175225.jpg

Posted
1 hour ago, Mapantz said:

No showers here since this mornings deluge. I wonder if I can obtain a new daily rain record with the rain moving this way? 34.2mm to beat on this station. My all time record was in excess of 50mm back in 2012 on a different weather station.

Just found it..

1003588214_2019-09-24(2).thumb.png.cbd069a47460ff3c99fb483a1238c928.png

Still a tad shy of the 300+ mm 24 hr rainfall in Martinstown back in the 1950s! I would have loved to have experienced that day, I think it was before Global Warming really kicked in so I suppose on a weighted equivalent we should now be looking for daily figures of 400mm to 500mm to give an equivalent record.

Edited by egret
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
1 minute ago, egret said:

Still a tad shy of the 300+ mm 24 hr rainfall in Martinstown back in the 1950s! I would have loved to have experienced that day, I think it was before Global Warming really kicked in so I suppose on a weighted equivalent we should now be looking for daily figures of 400mm to 500mm to give and equivalent record.

Hi egret.

Yes. That record stood for a very long time, a slightly unusual one for the location, I would have thought?

I remember my Dad telling me about that record when I was little. I always thought the same as you regarding experiencing it.

Posted
2 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

Hi egret.

Yes. That record stood for a very long time, a slightly unusual one for the location, I would have thought?

I remember my Dad telling me about that record when I was little. I always thought the same as you regarding experiencing it.

Hi Mapantz

Yes, if you haven't visited the village pub in Martinstown it is worth the price of a pint just to read the newspaper cuttings and see the photos on the wall. Fortunately the valley isn't steep so they did not have the torrents that occur in Devon and Cumbria.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

Drizzly light rain has just started up here again after a couple o' hours break...

Temp 15.1°C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Dry all afternoon but raining again now although nowhere near as heavy as this mornings rain. 15.8°C

Posted
1 hour ago, egret said:

Hi Mapantz

Yes, if you haven't visited the village pub in Martinstown it is worth the price of a pint just to read the newspaper cuttings and see the photos on the wall. Fortunately the valley isn't steep so they did not have the torrents that occur in Devon and Cumbria.

1 hour ago, Mapantz said:

Hi egret.

This is an interesting article on it...

www.dorsetlife.co.uk/2015/07/martinstowns-record-storm/ 

Edited by CanadianCoops
  • Like 1

Posted

Ended the day with a total of 27.0mm which makes it the wettest day of the year so far. Also had the highest rain rate of the year early this morning which was 125.2mm/hr.