Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 01/06/2019 Onwards

Mapantz

Posted
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.

Absolutely foul all afternoon.  The rain's got stuck over us, it's going round in a circle and moving nowhere fast.  Just put the gas fire on in the lounge for the first time since late April, difficult to believe that it was only a couple of weeks ago that we were sweltering in the high 20s.

Posted

Radar at 16.35 and 18.05, my locating red dot is obliterated!  I have yet to venture to the rain gauge.....

0909192.JPG

0909191.JPG

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

Yep.. quite heavy now.. and dark

It reached 13.9°C at 15:40.. currently 12.8°C

Posted
1 hour ago, Lyn-M said:

Absolutely foul all afternoon.  The rain's got stuck over us, it's going round in a circle and moving nowhere fast.  Just put the gas fire on in the lounge for the first time since late April, difficult to believe that it was only a couple of weeks ago that we were sweltering in the high 20s.

I am guessing a small LOW has formed over your part of the region today, stalling and forcing extra developments rather than a simple front moving through.

Posted

Yes, it certainly gave that impression, Andy and, for once, the forecast was right!

Just ventured to the gauge, glad I did because the inner cylinder would have overflowed by morning!  45.3mm and it's still raining, although not so heavily and it does appear to be moving away.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

The charts looked OK-ish for thunder today, alas, nothing happened. A very regular occurrence over the past 18 months.

anim2h_uk.thumb.gif.cd091aab1a8aa2ad9c287f23c4ced2d8.gif

Not much rain either, stark contrast from forecasts.

Posted
1 hour ago, Lyn-M said:

Yes, it certainly gave that impression, Andy and, for once, the forecast was right!

Just ventured to the gauge, glad I did because the inner cylinder would have overflowed by morning!  45.3mm and it's still raining, although not so heavily and it does appear to be moving away.

Wow, you've certainly done well your way! A wet day here but we missed the very heavy sections and had mostly moderate rain through the day. A cool max for the time of year at just 14.1 °C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Mostly light rain on and off but with a few heavier showers later on this afternoon and evening including a very heavy shower just now. Reached 15.4°C, currently 13.8°C

Edited by matt111

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

Rain has stopped now although there’s showers to the south heading this way.

Currently 11.5°C

Posted

Misty start here too. 9.2°C currently after a low of 8.9°C

Posted

Final total was 45.7mm, 6th highest total for any day of any month in my records starting in September 1999.  I shall be interested to see other totals in the area in the fullness of time.

Foggy here initially, cleared more quickly than I thought it might, but still not much in the way of brightness.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Lyn-M said:

Final total was 45.7mm, 6th highest total for any day of any month in my records starting in September 1999.  I shall be interested to see other totals in the area in the fullness of time.

Hi Lyn, when was your last really wet day before yesterday? I only had 8.5mm! 

Posted

Sat24 showing that we might get a bit of brightness later. I'm hoping to get out in the garden for a couple of hours, before the footie. ?️⚽

Posted
33 minutes ago, jtay said:

Sat24 showing that we might get a bit of brightness later. I'm hoping to get out in the garden for a couple of hours, before the footie. ?️⚽

Yes it’s been beautiful here since about 16.00, very limited brief sun prior to that.

Posted

The mist this morning cleared to some clear skies but it quickly clouded over. It reached 18.9°C at: 12:40

Currently 17.0°C

Posted

Sun’s out!

Posted

An unremarkable 8.8 mm of rain from yesterday. Cloudy for most of the day today, dark ominous clouds at times too, but stayed dry. Sun came out mid-late afternoon. Max temp of 16.9 °C. 

Posted

It cleared up almost completely after around 6pm which was nice!

Currently 13.1°C

Posted
7 hours ago, Andy Bown said:

Hi Lyn, when was your last really wet day before yesterday? I only had 8.5mm! 

Hi Andy, only just spotted this!  Depends on the definition of 'really wet', but this year March 5 produced 25.1mm, last year two days in November (9th and 19th) had 33.6 and 33.0 respectively, but I have to go back to July 2012 for any days with more than 40mm. 

I have to say that going for a walk this evening along the same route that I took yesterday before the rain set in, it was hard to believe how much we had.  There was no visible difference in the Yeo (very, very low yesterday), footpaths not even sticky and only the longest of the grass was showing signs of dampness

Posted

A grey and damp start this morning with rain in the night..

Overnight low was 11.6°C around 02:00 before the temperature started rising. 

Currently 13.4°C

Posted

Not weather related but regional related....

I'm staying in Farnham Dorset for the week soon and wondered if anyone had any suggestions for sightseeing/days out. It'll also include a 2 year old but she loves outdoors anyway.

Any suggestions for that region? I'm happy to travel up to an hour.

Cheers