Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 01/06/2019 Onwards

Mapantz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

I've just noticed that as every hour passes the MetO keep knocking the wind speeds down on their forecasts.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold weather. Storms are pretty good too.
20 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

I've just noticed that as every hour passes the MetO keep knocking the wind speeds down on their forecasts.

Haha, good old MetO. They always panic and give loads of warnings since the 1987 fiasco! People in UK didn't sue then, now they might. ;)

It is starting to look a bit rough in the far west now though. Unusual for summer and with loads of silly tourists at the seaside always a danger!

Edited by coldfingers1
more info

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Wind picking up now but still dry here as it’s been nearly all day with just the odd brief shower. Looks like there’s more showers around now though. 18.7°C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

Quite gusty out there now, currently 18.1°C down from a high of 21.2°C at: 14:02

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold weather. Storms are pretty good too.

Now a F8 gusting F9 so very likely to be gusting F10 here in Bognor by the morning.

Posted

Nowhere near as windy as forecast here. Only one gust above 40mph and that was 3 hours ago.

Posted
8 hours ago, Mapantz said:

It'll be interesting to see what the Ecowitt anemometer records tonight/tomorrow. I've had 29.8mph on it so far (at 5m) The Davis is around 10m and that's recorded 33mph.

Just hit 30.9mph at 12.09am. Highest so far.

Currently 17.4°C with ESE winds at 12.4mph.

• Like 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, Dean E said:

Just hit 30.9mph at 12.09am. Highest so far.

Currently 17.4°C with ESE winds at 12.4mph.

I popped down to my porch for a quick smoke and saw the Ecowitt console register 44.5mph at 00:07. The Davis recorded 45mph at 00:06. 

Posted

Reviewing the stations across Taunton, looks like we ended with 25mm as the daily rain accumulation. A chunk of that coming in the thunderstorm about 3.45am which dropped 10-15mm (having looked at weather stations). Good for the gardens I guess ?‍♂️

Posted

The wind has been pretty consistent overnight, 16-22mph with gusts 25-35mph and a handful or so hitting 38-40mph, with one of 47mph at 1am
We had some drizzle around midnight and 2am, only amounting to 0.2mm.

Was 18.6c at midnight and a low of 17c at 4am, now 17.9c
The barometer readings are rising, now 1003.7hPa  after a a low of 998hPa at 1am.
A grey start, wind still 16-22mph, with plenty of 25-35mph gusts.

Edited by lettice

Posted

The MetO have downgraded winds again overnight. It was showing 3 hours of 52mph gusts, that has now dropped to 45mph. It's windy but not as bad as last night. I'm not sure what data the BBC weather is using but according to them it is gusting to 60mph. They're only 25mph out.

Posted

Yes saw those BBC forecasts, both local and national, with 60mph all over our area.
Sky News was doing much the same last night and this morning.

Wind is still SW 16-22mph, with plenty of 25-35mph gusts.
Sun is creeping out now, 19.2c.

Posted
11 hours ago, Mapantz said:

I popped down to my porch for a quick smoke and saw the Ecowitt console register 44.5mph at 00:07. The Davis recorded 45mph at 00:06. 

44.7mph was my highest at 6.12am!

Posted

Feeling not very summer like today, however at least it still has some warmth in the air!

Currently 19.2°C, DP 14.3°C. 15.2mph winds from the South, gusting to 25mph at times.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

Overnight low was 15.7°C at: 06:33 

Quite gusty out but it’s dry with some hazy sunny intervals, currently 18.7°C

Posted

Just had the strongest wind gust of the day here, 61.7mph!

image.thumb.png.12dde0be873f1e577957d07472b155b8.png

Really does stick out.

Edited by Dean E

Posted

Just been down to Sandbanks ferry with an old Met office issue handheld anemometer. Not sure how accurate it is, but I recorded a gust of 48 knots (55 mph), it was hard to stand.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Very windy here with the odd shower. The house across the road has just lost its back gate and the bit of fence it was attached to. 19.0°C. 

Posted
53 minutes ago, Dean E said:

Just had the strongest wind gust of the day here, 61.7mph!

image.thumb.png.12dde0be873f1e577957d07472b155b8.png

Really does stick out.

Do you think it's genuine? That's stronger than anything at Portland / St. Catherines Point / Thorney Island etc 

Posted
6 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

Do you think it's genuine? That's stronger than anything at Portland / St. Catherines Point / Thorney Island etc 

Very questionable with the sensor. However the wind gust at that time was strong, managed to slam a open stiff window!! 

Sadly do not have any other stations within close proximity of my area to compare to. 

But I'm happy to claim one of the highest wind gusts in the UK... 

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Dean E said:

Very questionable with the sensor. However the wind gust at that time was strong, managed to slam a open stiff window!! 

Sadly do not have any other stations within close proximity of my area to compare to. 

But I'm happy to claim one of the highest wind gusts in the UK... 

Always tricky to work out what real and what's not with some cup-anemometers. I have the EWN map of amateur stations on my website. It shows a top 10 of weather stats, and during windy conditions, you always get a few showing up at 80 or 90mph - you know that's not real. I've never had any spurious results from cup-anemometers, but I have with ultrasonic ones, both the Netatmo and WeatherFlow have given me ridiculous wind speeds during wet weather. As soon as drops of rain accumulate close to the 4 ultrasonic sensors, the wind wobbles them and you'll get 80mph recordings when it's not even gusting to 20mph.

Posted
49 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

Always tricky to work out what real and what's not with some cup-anemometers. I have the EWN map of amateur stations on my website. It shows a top 10 of weather stats, and during windy conditions, you always get a few showing up at 80 or 90mph - you know that's not real. I've never had any spurious results from cup-anemometers, but I have with ultrasonic ones, both the Netatmo and WeatherFlow have given me ridiculous wind speeds during wet weather. As soon as drops of rain accumulate close to the 4 ultrasonic sensors, the wind wobbles them and you'll get 80mph recordings when it's not even gusting to 20mph.

That is interesting to note, especially as ultrasonic anemometers are growing in popularity. I guess it was either localised wind gust or just my station over compensating the actual wind gust. 

Will be following this through the storm season in a few months time though, with great interest!