Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 01/06/2019 Onwards

Mapantz

Posted

Cracking day on Saturday, but no Noctilucent Clouds for us, as the cloud rolled at Sunset. Not so nice yesterday, with further cloud cover and a bit of rain.

Still, it was warmer out under the brolly, than inside.

This morning, the radar suggests that we're on the edge of the rain band, under the lightest precip, but nothing is falling here.

On to this evening, take your pick... We've got Gardening Club this evening, but if it's looking tasty West of Southampton Water, I'll bin that off to go and sit up a hill somewhere. I will however, wait for the afternoon runs and fully expect that I'll be spending my evening listening to a nice lady talking about apples.

Hirlam goes earlier and West.

image.thumb.png.0b6aa163ba6871d334c381ee3221840b.png

Euro4, goes East and later.

image.thumb.png.b380854df9034fa2a72edbb5cae02ce8.png

NetWx fancies a bit of both.

image.thumb.png.d6243fdcd6179191c33402d614c8be0a.png

Edited by jtay
  • Like 1

Posted

Muddy and still last night, low was 15.9°C at 5am.

A very interesting 24 hours coming up, a textbook example of a Spanish plume currently with the added chance of some Thunderstorms. Could be quite severe for the UK with higher humidity etc. Just need to trigger!

Anyone who is interested in following developments, my advice is don't solely rely on models, satellite images (over Northern Spain at the moment, then France later) and soundings from these areas are always better to give you an idea of conditions.

Currently 20.8°C DP 17.0°C. Still sticky.

Edited by Dean E

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Very much like it was yesterday so far today with cloudy skies and still humid but not as warm as yesterday was. 16.9°C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Some brightness here, but feeling muggy. Temp 20.8C. Hum 78% = 16.8°C dew point.

Posted

Interesting to note the humidity today over yesterday. Currently we have 75 %, Humidex 29.0°C whilst yesterday we hovered around mid 60's percentage

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms. Warm weather. Not hot or cold weather.

Warm and humid here. Hazy sunshine most of the morning. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

Hazy sunshine here and feeling very muggy. 22.8°C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow. Storms

Where do you get your temperature readings from please? I’m using Wunderground & apparently it’s 26C here with 79% humidity according to the app.

Just opened the door to let the pup out & it was like stepping off a plane! Slightly brighter cloudy conditions & feeling much muggier now with a gentle warm breeze. MO thinks I could be in with a chance later this afternoon

6D975D95-9F47-4703-B75B-05BF0A48040E.jpegJust as I posted that the lightning symbols disappeared!

Edited by Calneee

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn
1 minute ago, Calneee said:

Where do you get your temperature readings from please? I’m using Wunderground & apparently it’s 26C here with 79% humidity according to the app.

Just opened the door to let the pup out & it was like stepping off a plane! Slightly brighter cloudy conditions & feeling much muggier now with a gentle warm breeze. MO thinks I could be in with a chance later this afternoon

6D975D95-9F47-4703-B75B-05BF0A48040E.jpeg

Most of us our own weather stations / sensors

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, CheesepuffScott said:

Most of us our own weather stations / sensors

Ah, ok, thank you. Do you think it would be better not to rely on that app then?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Fog, Frost, Storms and Rain if it rains like it means it.
6 minutes ago, Calneee said:

Ah, ok, thank you. Do you think it would be better not to rely on that app then?

I had a look for a local weather station for you. Wunderground.com (i.e. not the app) appears to have a link for a local weather station - https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ICALNE10?cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash

I would guess that if the app is driven by this data it should be ok.

• Like 1

Posted
13 minutes ago, Calneee said:

ALSO, have a look around there are stations usually within the area, that you can www search for. For example

https://www.willyweather.co.uk/sw/wiltshire/raf-lyneham.html is nearby @ Lyneham

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

I believe the wunderground app does use a nearby tation for its current data. Of course like all PWSs, the accuracy heroes considerably but it still gives a reasonable idea of local temperatures. 

Speaking of wundergound I see there’s a huge difference between the temperature here and just a few miles up the road. 15.6°C here yet just up the road it’s 20°C, then go a bit further and it’s 23-24°C. 

Did you ever get an update from them about putting decimals back in @Mapantz?

Edited by matt111
  • Like 2

Temp jumped up to 23C in a little bit of sun, however crashed down to 19C within 10 minutes of with what feels a decidedly chilly sea breeze setting in..... 

Posted

Ok thank you all, will definitely have a look around. That Lyneham Station feels more accurate, I’d be miserable & melting at 26C in this humidity & it doesn’t feel that hot & yes the temperature difference is about 3-4C which is considerably considering its only up the road (adds weather station to Christmas list...) 

• Like 1

Posted
20 minutes ago, Calneee said:

Ok thank you all, will definitely have a look around. That Lyneham Station feels more accurate, I’d be miserable & melting at 26C in this humidity & it doesn’t feel that hot & yes the temperature difference is about 3-4C which is considerably considering its only up the road (adds weather station to Christmas list...) 

Yes, it’s better having your own as you know you’re using your own data and you can configure any time, compared to using someone else’s data, which isn’t always ideal.

• Like 1

Posted
23 minutes ago, Calneee said:

might be abit south of you but my old school weather station i find most right lavington school weather station 

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, matt111 said:

Did you ever get an update from them about putting decimals back in @Mapantz?

They're still working on it, apparently.

I think the IT team for Wunderground are struggling due to the old and outdated code for the website and PWS data. They've actually had to rewrite entire software to get it up to date, so it's a long process.

• Like 1

Posted

Warm and humid but brighter than earlier with some blue sky up above. 25.3°C

Posted

The suns coming through the cloud and it feels very warm and humid now despite only being 16.7°C. I’d guess that sheltered from the breeze it probably feels much more like the low to mid 20s that most places away from the coast are at. 

Posted

A bit more in the way of sunshine here. I've been raking the lawn free of moss, no need to water it now, the sweat from me saved doing that job.

Currently T 22°C / H 73% / D 17.2°C

Edited by Mapantz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow

Think we’ll miss out here in Plymouth but by the heck it’s muggy and hard work in this heat. Shirt sticking to me hot ? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: thunderstorms and snow

It is going nice hot week and I just watch BBC weather week ahead on bbc iplayer saying on Wednesday high pressure is in charge In to this weekend in next week

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms. Warm weather. Not hot or cold weather.

cloudy now temp has dropped from 23.4c to 19.9c.