Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

No storms club 2019 'season'

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).

Nothing here still.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spring, Autumn, Snow ..... not, I repeat, not heatwaves!!

Same here as usual .... the Chilterns storm shield is very much holding, like most years!

• Like 1

Posted

Think I am going to join the "No Storms Club", a pants season so far.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

I’m still here.

• 3 weeks later...
Posted

Have read all the posts  on this topic with great interest. But if you really want to experience life completely bereft of thunderstorms, spend a year in Atherstone, N.Warwicks. As near as damn it to the dead centre of England and with the emphasis, meteorologically speaking, on the word 'dead', this place has, over the last 30 years, experienced fewer and fewer thunder events of all kinds. 2017, 2018 and so far 2019 have been absolute garbage, even by Atherstone standards. 4 pathetic thunder showers and one measly bit of thundery rain in two and a half years! For instance, between 27th May last year - when we had the aforementioned thundery rain - and December 31st not ONE flash of lightning, not ONE rumble of thunder - even with all that heat. We just cooked, cracked and desiccated!

From whatever direction thunderstorms approach, by the time they reach this sorry location there is usually just enough rain to scatter the dust on the patio before they expire completely! It's as if the rest of the country North, South, East and West systematically get their fair share and Atherstone gets tossed the leftovers! 

Since the beginning of this century good ol' Atherstone has experienced 2 thunderstorms: August 10th 2003, and 28th June 2012, when the extreme heat of the former day and the supercell outbreak of the latter just about managed to overcome Atherstone's formidable defences!

It didn't used to be like this, looking back at my ancient diaries, we used to have 11 - 13 thunder days per year: T showers, T rain and the good old fashioned summer afternoon T storm. Regularly this pattern  was interspersed by real 'beauties' : August 20th 1966, 27th May 1973, 1st June 1978 and 30th July 1982 being good examples. 

So I am absolutely confident that I will be the last person on this thread. When all you others experience you 2019 storms in the fullness of time and drop out, Atherstone's unique and dreadful ability will ensure my victory - dubious as that may be!

Edited by deadcentre

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot

I think the 28th June 2012 is a poisoned chalice for any area.  Look at Newcastle, they got their supercell that day - then, more recently on 29th June, were placed in a severe / moderate risk zone and robbed accordingly

Edited by Another Kent clipper

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms

Can't believe I'm still here and likely to stay for the rest of the forecast period. If anyone says the south and east get all the storms one more time I will NOT be responsible for my actions!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

still ere.

Posted

Still here.

Posted

Storm front seems to be moving away from me now, rain now slow rather than torrential, flashes down to once every 30 seconds or so.

Edited by ianbillmorris

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunderstorms

It is  miracle I am out of that club now some big bolts of lightning and booming thunder here last night Dronfield Derbyshire

Posted

Had some thunder but due to the elevated lightning it wasn't that loud.

Posted

Nothing here in southeast Ayrshire last night. Not even a splash of rain. Were a couple of flashes way in the distance to the south and east around 3am. I think the only storms i am going to hear and see is when im on my daily video call to my friend in Houston Texas lol. They get some real monsters on an almost daily basis at this time of year.

Posted

I'm out! Nobody could be more surprised than me! The first thunder heard and lightning seen since April 8th this year. 45 minutes of thundery rain, continuous c to c lightning and low level thunder 01.45 to 2.15 and 3.15 to 3.30 a.m. Only three c to g strikes but they were at least three miles distant. BUT, watching the storm area's progress from the south west  I saw the steady decrease in c to g strikes as it approached. by the time it arrived in Atherstone it had lost much of its potency. Still, must be thankful for small mercies!

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

I keep missing out. It's so unfair!

anyways. beer anyone?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms & Snow

The let-down in Guildford on Tuesday 27th August (2019) was remarkably similar to that of Saturday 27th August 2016 with the storms kicking off just to the north of London and affecting Lincolnshire and other parts of the N.E. (as usual). So close yet so far - again. 

Just to say, we had the best thunder event in Guildford on Thursday 15th / Friday 16th September 2016 just under 3 weeks from the previous let-down; typically when I was in Cornwall on holiday, so I missed the entire event - still annoyed about it to today as we still have had nothing of the magnitude of the storm I missed (*) to compensate yet. If date history repeats itself on the 15th / 16th September (Sunday / Monday) this year then I will be home from Cornwall with a day to spare - so I do not expect to miss the next big event! 

Typical post-storm let-down fatigue and general lack of enthusiasm today after days of sweltering heat, working hard in it dealing with loutish lazy and ungrateful members of public at work with the highest temperatures perfectly timed for the busiest shifts over the bank holiday weekend. This is followed by all-out-exhaustion, disappointment and feeling Hack-Sawed off with today's rise in humidity making physical activity even more unbearable after the weekend. Not happy to see a crummy N.W. / S.E. based set up with cold dross in the next week - no chance of storms then and probabably an annoying return to rain and wind dross in time for the holiday after the first week of September. Lovely. NOT. 

(*) I was told about the storm on arriving home which was similar to another very annoying missed event on Saturday 14th June 2014. Also conversed with work colleague on FaceBook as storm was kicking off at home while I was in caravan in Cornwall with gusty cold northerly wind buffeting the caravan. 

Edited by Severe Blizzard

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Having read back through this thread it seems I didn't announce my departure from the club which was back on 23rd July. Nothing else since but enough to get out of here. 

Edited by matt111