Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Noctilucent Clouds Season 2019

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Columus Bigus Convectivus

just now from a baltic cam.....Its good to see theres a few clouds to the East of use at around 6° altitude .....Capella is just above this level...these might come in to play later on

latest.thumb.jpg.11db0972c0aceb047aa6617e35a40ce6.jpg

https://www.iap-kborn.de/forschung/abteilung-optische-sondierungen-und-hoehenforschungsraketen/instrumente-und-modelle/nlc-kamera-netzwerk/overview

Edited by Arnie Pie
  • Like 2

Posted
11 minutes ago, Arnie Pie said:

Clear skies here..... with the only thing standing out is the pollution level

Interesting that pollution gets mentioned. I did notice there was a bit of a “smog” out there this evening.

0C982CC7-54B3-459A-9E24-2BEB46B4E50A.jpeg

• Like 1

Posted

The other night the NLC`s had to shine through this level...which i estimate is now taking up the first 5°altitude of my view

Posted

Latest AIM sat image for Tuesday 02 July ( seem to be missing Monday`s )

current_daisy02.thumb.png.c8019c21cf60c35d0ae3890b030b7940.png

early morning for me tomorrow....so no watching tonight

• Like 1

Posted

Wow, what a shocker the latest AIM image is for tonight. Looks like somebody has taken a big bite right out of it. Annoyingly, forecast to be another clear night here as well. Guess you can never know what will happen though...

• Like 2

Posted

Yep....seems to be expanding and recessing at will every run....Wouldn`t give up hope for tonight...it`s my first nights non-veiwing for what seems an age......which normally means... the 'Law of Sod' comes in to play....

Suprised by the no show on Tuesday/Wednesday....looked spot on for a good showing....a few degrees out maybe

Happy hunting all

Posted

Despite the displays been seen so far south, I don't think the displays so far have been as spectacular as those of 10 years ago. I stumbled across photos of a display I took from 23rd July 2009

FnyMGZy.jpgztz69vX.jpg

I don't know what it was 10 years ago but the sunsets and the noctilucent displays were spectacular during that summer of 2009 and into the September. Sarychev peak volcano eruption certainly had an effect on the sunsets. 

• Like 2

Posted

We were here in the flat back then and that was the first year we had really noticed them....

They seemed more vivid and frequent that year....i havn`t looked at the amount of clear and cloudy nights

I would agree with you that this season ...concidering world wide, it`s been a record breaking season

looking at the sat images i really do think the UK has been very unlucky this year.....but as you have said the season lasts until September

Heres the AIM sat image for the your impressive images

23 July 2009

1614083799_23july09.thumb.png.f34cc3e554f3447425ec4b165914f26f.png

Edited by Arnie Pie
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.
19 hours ago, Arnie Pie said:

Latest AIM sat image for Tuesday 02 July ( seem to be missing Monday`s )

current_daisy02.thumb.png.c8019c21cf60c35d0ae3890b030b7940.png

early morning for me tomorrow....so no watching tonight

would those at 11 oclock be due tomorrow night? assuming they dont dispearse..

Posted

Yes Rob....using the `clockface method' as a guide....anything around the 10.55 area should have migrated around the pole in the 3 days since that sat image taken on 2nd July to be over us at the 6 o`clock area Tonight

we will have a better idea when the latest AIM sat images are released this afternoon when we will be looking at what was over the 1.00 o`clock area on the sat image... which will give us another indication of the possilities for Tonight

this is all for tonights chances...not tomorrow

Edited by Arnie Pie
  • Like 1

Posted

Latest AIM sat image for Wednesday 03 July....

current_daisy03.thumb.png.46eb783cd25dfe69c10dfd35502bf0e1.png

Big gap has re-filled.... there`s some mid lattitude cloud around the expected area for tonight

should be clear tonight

Edited by Arnie Pie
  • Like 2

Posted

Mixed feelings about the latest image. Seems very "middle of the road". Not that it matters much, I am still going to go and take a look in any event . I think the last two images are evidence of just how quickly things can change in the space of just a single day.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Cal5 said:

Mixed feelings about the latest image. Seems very "middle of the road". Not that it matters much, I am still going to go and take a look in any event . I think the last two images are evidence of just how quickly things can change in the space of just a single day.

dont get done for loitering

• Like 1

Posted

Just started to show NNE at around 8°altitude just above cloud bank

showtng Electric blue

1808764707_a009.thumb.jpg.4829c641ceee3a36cea66517b9d79507.jpg

Edited by Arnie Pie
  • Like 2

Posted

Hmm... hmmm... hmmmm...

Bit of an adventure tonight. Went to my vantage point but didn't see anything. Just when I gave up and went back in, I saw some Twitter reports of NLC. Had a bit of a walk locally but saw nothing. I think I am concluding that the light pollution round these parts is just too intense. Between that and the difficulties getting a good view of the horizon, I think I need to reserve NLC hunting for when I am out of town.

• Like 1

Posted

You didn`t miss alot to be honest   they only lasted for 10 mins or so before diving back behind the cloud base where they continued to glow

Un-spectacular.....but couldn`t help recording

pretty sure that there was a show to be had behind that cloud.....Starting NNE at 8° alt then out to the NNW

• Like 2

Posted

Big display to the NE.......over Birminghams skyline and beyond

Now that is spectacular

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
18 hours ago, Weather-history said:

Despite the displays been seen so far south, I don't think the displays so far have been as spectacular as those of 10 years ago. I stumbled across photos of a display I took from 23rd July 2009

FnyMGZy.jpgztz69vX.jpg

I don't know what it was 10 years ago but the sunsets and the noctilucent displays were spectacular during that summer of 2009 and into the September. Sarychev peak volcano eruption certainly had an effect on the sunsets. 

That's really quite late in the season for such displays. The season is pretty much over by the 28th July- the time when true darkness returns to our latitude. 

Posted
29 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

That's really quite late in the season for such displays. The season is pretty much over by the 28th July- the time when true darkness returns to our latitude. 

Last year, they were seen as late as 3rd August 

Posted

Grrr, feel so annoyed with myself. Looks like I needed to have stayed up a couple more hours. See that someone has posted a photo on Twitter of the display last night from London as well, so it can be done.

Edited by Cal5
  • Like 1

Posted

Couple of snaps from this morning....big bank of NLC`s visible this morning stretching at times between past NE all the way around to NNW

355581406_town288.thumb.jpg.45c6efa9289a5178ee684104dd64ed37.jpg

1962214258_town722.thumb.jpg.6d6ff001270962555704505aed367142.jpg

• Like 4

Posted

A combination 3 of time-lapses from last night and this morning....starting N and finshing off below NE at aruond 03.20

Trusty altitude gauge Capella shows at 8.6° to the N rising to the NE and up to 19-20° altitude

i cant help thinking that there were a lot more behind the bank of cloud

a bit of U2 to help the tine-lapse along

• Like 3

Posted

Latest AIM sat image for Thursday 04 July....

current_daisy04.png

cloudy forecast for tonight

This image shows Thursdays no - show.... and also goes to indicate last nights/morning sighting...which would have beeen around 4 o`clock on this sat image

Tonight chances would be at around 1 o`clock on this sat image

I dont Twitter....it would be good to share any images that are available from that platform

Edited by Arnie Pie
  • Like 2

Posted

I am not well versed on social media. I was hesistant to post an image directly as I was unsure what the rules are surrounding that sort of thing but here is a link to the tweet, which I think should be ok? Here is the image from London I referred to earlier.

I guess whilst the next few days might see some downtime (quite a bit of cloud forecast), I guess now might be a good opportunity to ask some queries with regard to the SNR graph here:
https://www.iap-kborn.de/en/research/department-radar-remote-sensing/current-radar-observations/oswin-mesosphere

More generally, what on earth am I looking at!?

Apologies if it has already been covered but I couldn't find much information on it. Queries are as follows:

1. What does the "activity" represent? I understand its "noise" but is it debris entering the atmosphere at that point in time or just detecting stuff that is already there?
  2. Where is it "looking" at? Is it a specific area in the sky?
  3. How does noise affect forecasting prospects? I am guessing more noise is a good thing. Would noise detected that day suggest a more favourable evening or would it took some days to come to fruition?

Many Thanks!

Posted

Thanks for posting that brilliant twitter image   Im sure that its all legal an above board....and if not...your the one who posted it

and thanks for posting those 3 questions concearning the SNR signal..... so comprehendible

They are pretty much the same questions that i would like explained...Im guessing that @Jo Farrow ....would be a good place to start or point us in the right direction

and the same.... if this has been covered before...my appologies

• Like 1