Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Noctilucent Clouds Season 2019

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie
7 hours ago, Mr Frost said:

Mushy you seem to know about this so thought I would quote you!

I took this picture at 23:00 last night - sunset was 22:10.

86997DF5-85E1-4D3B-986B-40B474775109.thumb.jpeg.6e78ef332cf1880d240bd68acd729c7d.jpeg

It was 21c and clear blue sky all day - there was no clouds! 

Do you think this is Noctilucent clouds? I done a bit of research and have attached a couple of screenshots which makes me believe it may well be!?

@Jo Farrow this was taken in Gourock, Scotland - would be good to hear what you think it is?

Would also be grateful to hear the thoughts of anyone else! 

Much appreciated everyone!

8E88F139-894B-4340-B61F-D44DB1C52E69.thumb.png.8c32ed1015cbc4fb4d6df397408d3110.png0B11FE15-A9E0-45F8-8AB5-95041CF0EEAB.thumb.png.e0735e3801c21ba95ded505392ef71ec.png

Tricky, we may have to wait for the AIM daisy chart for last night. I usually look on twitter for #NLCnow to see if anyone else can see them. there was one, that was it. Was a lot of low cloud from the North Sea but you tend to see some noise from Europe. I've only seen them vividly last Friday and they were higher up, so separate from horizon and distinct. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Glasnevin Latitude: 53°22′49″ N Longitude: 6°15′51″ W Elevation above sea level: 40 m = 131 ft
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, NLC
  • Location: Glasnevin Latitude: 53°22′49″ N Longitude: 6°15′51″ W Elevation above sea level: 40 m = 131 ft

I'll just leave this here.  Leibniz-Institute of Atmospheric Physics

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Columus Bigus Convectivus
53 minutes ago, Raindrops said:

I'll just leave this here.  Leibniz-Institute of Atmospheric Physics

yes....have seen this site but are struggling to understand the information they are portraying.....althought its always up to date......Maybe someone out-there who understands this information could take the time to explain it to us layperson`s

Edited by Arnie Pie
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!
3 hours ago, Jo Farrow said:

Tricky, we may have to wait for the AIM daisy chart for last night. I usually look on twitter for #NLCnow to see if anyone else can see them. there was one, that was it. Was a lot of low cloud from the North Sea but you tend to see some noise from Europe. I've only seen them vividly last Friday and they were higher up, so separate from horizon and distinct. 

Thanks for the reply Jo! 

This picture was taken by someone else down the road from me at roughly the same time I took mine - it was glorious! 

Edited by Mr Frost

Posted
4 hours ago, Arnie Pie said:

yes....have seen this site but are struggling to understand the information they are portraying.....althought its always up to date......Maybe someone out-there who understands this information could take the time to explain it to us layperson`s

Studies of mesospheric radar echoes at polar and middle latitudes , yellow/orange/red signals that there's something happening up there, I know yeah that wasn't very scientific of me haha but that's what I've learned so far.

Taken from the website.

During summer months, at mid and polar latitudes very strong non-turbulent related VHF-radar echoes are observed at mesospheric altitudes (80-90 km), that are called Mesosperic Summer Echoes (MSE). At polar latitudes (PMSE) they occur more often and are stronger then their midlatitude counterparts. On the other hand, winter echoes (PMWE and MWE) are more seldom observed below 80 km during equinoctial and winter months, and are believed to be related to turbulence.

At IAP we have observed PMSE and PMWE with the ALOMAR SOUSY Radar (1994-1997) the ALWIN-VHF-Radar (1999-2008) and MAARSY (since 2010) at Andenes, whereas the MSE and MWE are measured with the OSWIN-VHF-Radar at Kühlungsborn since 1998. Our investigations related to these echoes, among others, are:

• the seasonal and diurnal variation of the PMSE/MSE frequency, influence of temperature, meridional wind, water vapour, turbulence, tidal waves and ionization,
  • the influence of atmospheric waves upon the creation of discrete layers in PMSE,
  • the connection between PMSE/MSE and noctilucent clouds (NLC), since in both phenomena ice particles play an essential role,
  • the investigation of long-term variations of (P)MSE (seasonal duration and strength),
  • the dependence of (P)MSE on geographic latitude and longitude by means of absolutely calibrated VHF-Radars (e.g., interhemispheric differences).
  • Furthermore some of our studies are complemented by in-situ measurements during rocket campaigns (e.g., ROMA, ECOMA, WADIS).
  • Like 2

Posted
48 minutes ago, Raindrops said:

Studies of mesospheric radar echoes at polar and middle latitudes , yellow/orange/red signals that there's something happening up there, I know yeah that wasn't very scientific of me haha but that's what I've learned so far.

Taken from the website.

During summer months, at mid and polar latitudes very strong non-turbulent related VHF-radar echoes are observed at mesospheric altitudes (80-90 km), that are called Mesosperic Summer Echoes (MSE). At polar latitudes (PMSE) they occur more often and are stronger then their midlatitude counterparts. On the other hand, winter echoes (PMWE and MWE) are more seldom observed below 80 km during equinoctial and winter months, and are believed to be related to turbulence.

At IAP we have observed PMSE and PMWE with the ALOMAR SOUSY Radar (1994-1997) the ALWIN-VHF-Radar (1999-2008) and MAARSY (since 2010) at Andenes, whereas the MSE and MWE are measured with the OSWIN-VHF-Radar at Kühlungsborn since 1998. Our investigations related to these echoes, among others, are:

• the seasonal and diurnal variation of the PMSE/MSE frequency, influence of temperature, meridional wind, water vapour, turbulence, tidal waves and ionization,
  • the influence of atmospheric waves upon the creation of discrete layers in PMSE,
  • the connection between PMSE/MSE and noctilucent clouds (NLC), since in both phenomena ice particles play an essential role,
  • the investigation of long-term variations of (P)MSE (seasonal duration and strength),
  • the dependence of (P)MSE on geographic latitude and longitude by means of absolutely calibrated VHF-Radars (e.g., interhemispheric differences).
  • Furthermore some of our studies are complemented by in-situ measurements during rocket campaigns (e.g., ROMA, ECOMA, WADIS).

Definitely something going on this afternoon.. with all them blue thing on that chart thingy.....WOOSH

There must be someone out there pls......I havn`t got a degree......just a good tutu

There seems to be some really uptodate information on this site

Edited by Arnie Pie
  • Like 2

Posted

Just as a refference point for ' height in the sky'

Capella the double star (thats why it appears to twinkle)... is the brightest object in the Northern skies atm

Tonight.... it will start to be visible around 10.25pm NNW and then travel Eastwards and upwards in the sky through to the morning hours

At midnight tonight Capella`s 'height in the sky'  will be 8.6° altitude due N and will end up rising to 18.8° altitude in the NE

I have found the twinkerly star  a good refference point for estimating the 'height in the sky' of any visible NLC`s

• Like 2

Posted

NW skies..... light atm but there up there

687090846_thur007.thumb.jpg.fbb14c52e1f4fd2641aa521d7f71f327.jpg

• Like 2

Posted

I'm down in Salisbury, where I guess it's a bit darker looking NNW...

Am I looking at the same thing?

OI000012.thumb.jpg.c524704b55f26e4bb29f3441765561b7.jpg

• Like 3

Posted

I have no doubt......look for Capella the star just to your right.....same height

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

Beginning to appear in Newcastle too

1275050144_20190627_232856(2).thumb.jpg.5f7ce439785e839e636c0d8b306f7c54.jpg

• Like 3

Posted
6 minutes ago, BornFromTheVoid said:

Beginning to appear in Newcastle too

1275050144_20190627_232856(2).thumb.jpg.5f7ce439785e839e636c0d8b306f7c54.jpg

NW?

Posted
Just now, Arnie Pie said:

NW?

Yep. Capella is just to the right of them.

Posted

2 minutes ago, BornFromTheVoid said:

Yep. Capella is just to the right of them.

I see you have the same low cloud drifting in from the N sea

Posted
Just now, Arnie Pie said:

I see you have the same low cloud drifting in from the N sea

Yeah, and it's gotten much worse the last 10 minutes. Can't really see anything right now.

Posted

there showing dimmer here now... and being clouded out....nearly time to stop the time-lapse

Posted

Well tonight's show was short lived, I'll wait until about 1:30am just to be sure. I see you guys seen what I seen.

Posted

This was my view at 11:30pm from 53.417616, -6.266908

Not what I was hoping for but much better than waiting for a Thunderstorm to arrive.

Humm I need to fix the focus on the camera, It liked the fencing more than the cloud -_-.

DSCN0107.JPG

Edited by Raindrops
  • Like 4

Posted

yep...as long as your display was in the NW?.......short lived but worth recording   a nice bit of electric blue in there at one stage

1537805641_thur425.thumb.jpg.e316a24f6a3efb52d001cfe282edca9b.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Arnie Pie said:

yep...as long as your display was in the NW?.......short lived but worth recording   a nice bit of electric blue in there at one stage

1537805641_thur425.thumb.jpg.e316a24f6a3efb52d001cfe282edca9b.jpg

Yup I viewed the clouds in the NW. You have a good view.

• Like 1

Posted
12 minutes ago, Raindrops said:

Not what I was hoping for but much better than waiting for a Thunderstorm to arrive. 

Absolutely... more serenity in this forum

• Like 1

Posted
13 minutes ago, Raindrops said:

. You have a good view

11 storeys facing due N

totally clouded out now and i cant see this lifting before the Sunrise sweet spot

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.
18 hours ago, Arnie Pie said:

We can only hope Rob.........but dont discount this evening ...it`s forecast to be clear and is looking the part

Finally a chance to test the clockface theory

I`ll post the latest AIM sat images when they are published

i gave up last nigyht as low cloud arrived.. 11.30.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!

Lots of activity up here in Scotland during the early hours. (I slept through it all after my previous late night! )

Really annoyed I missed it!

Edited by Mr Frost
  • Like 3