Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Noctilucent Clouds Season 2019

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.
1 hour ago, Mr Frost said:

Yes I am thinking the same! Didn’t have the same look of my previous confirmed NLC clouds below. (fine lines ect)

9B789129-EEE4-412C-A019-7F5ED46BB9DC.thumb.jpeg.1c064bd6d69f0bebc2d8467727c7d77b.jpeg

erm... i dont think they are nlc's either. ive never seen red/orange nlc's, they are characterised by the icey blue/white colour. sorry.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!
15 minutes ago, mushymanrob said:

erm... i dont think they are nlc's either. ive never seen red/orange nlc's, they are characterised by the icey blue/white colour. sorry.

Thought @Arnie Pie was the expert here. 

He replied with the information below to that picture plus numerous other folk confirmed it was but the colour was due to the post sunset red glow.

Picture below was taken at the same time a short drive down the road from me.

445C8E1B-E124-4AF8-8C3E-7D1DD7627DDA.thumb.png.debc621b8de3fa74364c8c8c5f6493a9.png 0C6278A9-41F7-421A-9527-B20BDB7051BA.thumb.jpeg.ec682e99fb79c8afa12edafdb88c036f.jpeg

On 03/07/2019 at 16:23, Arnie Pie said:

Information concerning your images from 26-6-2019 (images just realised by the AIM sat web site )

@Huntforsnow 

@Mr Frost 

The segment for our part of the over all image has been released....and coincidently was taken at roughly the same time as you guy`s took yours

cips_sci_2_orbit_66676_2019-177_v05.20_r04_alb.thumb.png.22f9413798db1f1a593d513b03ce2f20.png

taking the time on the strip as UT time.....so +1 for BST makes it around 23.00pm on the 26th

this is part of the total image from 26-6-19 which shows a bright floating linear feature arouund 73°lattitude which i believe is what you captured

current_daisy26.thumb.png.e227b05c54fe73997894d747ba705237.png

On 27/06/2019 at 12:51, Arnie Pie said:

Some great photos taken from The North and good to see them posted..... @Huntforsnow... I would say they were low latitude Noctilucent clouds......The fine lined structure and shine gives it away...a beauty

@Mr Frost ....This really looks to be the same Noctilucent cloud only caught in the post sunset red glow

If you zoom in you can see the fine lined structure of the cloud....and what a lovely back drop for you photo,,,another Beauty

imby......Clouded out... but with an eary glow to my to my N and NW

This NCL business is very confusing. 

Edited by Mr Frost

Posted
39 minutes ago, Mr Frost said:

He replied with the information below to that picture plus numerous other folk confirmed it was but the colour was due to the post sunset red glow.

Picture below was taken at the same time a short drive down the road from me.

445C8E1B-E124-4AF8-8C3E-7D1DD7627DDA.thumb.png.debc621b8de3fa74364c8c8c5f6493a9.png 0C6278A9-41F7-421A-9527-B20BDB7051BA.thumb.jpeg.ec682e99fb79c8afa12edafdb88c036f.jpeg

This NCL business is very confusing. 

well put it like this..... ive never seen noctilucent clouds with a red glow and ive seen hundreds of pictures...just google them.. ... but if others say its possible, then fair enough. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Columus Bigus Convectivus
32 minutes ago, Mr Frost said:

No expert Frosty....i`m pretty sure these are not the same... however it will be reffered to VAR

Just a nice Sunset

I had a clearish view last night ( imvhby )...with nothing to report

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!
1 hour ago, mushymanrob said:

well put it like this..... ive never seen noctilucent clouds with a red glow and ive seen hundreds of pictures...just google them.. ... but if others say its possible, then fair enough. 

Yes it’s very rare but I emailed the Metoffice who also confirmed it was NCL clouds - also questioned why it was not white/Icey blue and they referred me to the article on the website. (Attached below - states they are also sometimes orange or red)

81B62588-43E1-4912-AFC2-A3D72F8EEB43.thumb.png.fbf5af3f4cac01c4bf0dcd9edad9d936.png

Wonder why there are barely any pictures of the orange or red noctilucent clouds? 

Edited by Mr Frost
  • Like 2

Posted
19 minutes ago, Arnie Pie said:

No expert Frosty....i`m pretty sure these are not the same... however it will be reffered to VAR

Just a nice Sunset

I had a clearish view last night ( imvhby )...with nothing to report

Thanks mate! I had a feeling last night was not the same as previous - best place to ask is this thread though.

I need to do more reading! 

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, Cal5 said:

I came across this a couple weeks back and figured it might be worth sharing if people have not already seen it.

Brilliant - thanks for posting this! 

That explains it perfect. 

• Like 2

Posted
33 minutes ago, mushymanrob said:

To be fair Rob......when i first saw Mr Frosts picture from the other week I wasn`t convinced because of the red glow...It was only when i saw Huntforsnow`s image ( which had that text book luminosity )... that i realised that they were the same linear `cloud`

....and when the sat images finally became available.....these were to coincidental

So this season has been an educational one for us all

and perhaps red glow is the next black

• Like 1

Posted

Nice one Cal5

( have you found that book...yet )

Edited by Arnie Pie
  • Like 2

Posted
34 minutes ago, Mr Frost said:

Brilliant - thanks for posting this! 

That explains it perfect. 

No worries! I should be more proactive posting these things when I find them. I often hold the mentality (incorrectly) that everyone has probably already seen it and put off posting them.

I guess when people first started studying Aurora's, there were similar debates about the different colours they displayed. E.g. What causes the difference in colours? Are they part of the same thing? - At least, that is how I like to think of it. Still, I wouldn't like to commit one way or the other about if the afore posted images are NLC or not.

26 minutes ago, Arnie Pie said:

Nice one Cal5

( have you found that book...yet )

Not yet. I did have a look on the graph after Thursday evening/Friday mornings showing for the fortunate amongst us. It showed no activity. I will leave that open for interpratation...

Edited by Cal5
  • Like 2

Posted
18 minutes ago, Cal5 said:

Not yet. I did have a look on the graph after Thursday evening/Friday mornings showing for the fortunate amongst us. It showed no activity. I will leave that open for interpratation...

If only the SNR site had an archive......even us lot would be able to put two and two together

• Like 2

Posted

fair play everyone

• Like 3

Posted

a bit late....CRICKET:yahoo:...Heres the latest AIM sat for Friday 12th July

current_daisy12-7.thumb.png.9ab68b38fb6dbe55a4537151de627a2f.png

SNR signal going crazy over? ( or to the side? ) (or under?) Norway..atm

Edited by Arnie Pie
  • Like 1

Posted

This picture was taken at 2am today...20 mins drive away from me! Gutted I missed it! I took my three post sunset pictures (posted earlier) between 22:00 and 23:00 and went to sleep - wish I had known this was about to happen a few hours later!

Edited by Mr Frost
  • Like 2

Posted

July 14, 2019, 22:30 UTC+3. Kharkiv, Ukraine. Europe, be ready...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/120898778545736/?multi_permalinks=395478131087798&notif_id=1563098404111953&notif_t=group_highlights

233400960_Ukraimeatm.thumb.jpg.016996e04b2d1e12ec69b3e0ed247d68.jpg

Clear imby.....seeing nothing atm....but some NLC`s may drift in from the East later on

Edited by Arnie Pie
  • Like 2

Posted

Just goes to show @Mr Frost these clouds can 'Ping' at anytime during the night

another cracking photo from the North

Edited by Arnie Pie
  • Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Arnie Pie said:

Just goes to show @Mr Frost these clouds can 'Ping' at anytime during the night

another cracking photo from the North

Indeed - this one is even more heart breaking for me! This picture was taken in the early hours of this morning...5 minutes walk from my house!

My current view below. (Looking North)

C7CA1DA4-0960-4523-B921-9EB5B709D27E.thumb.jpeg.33b0a6da236b24ab1e1126d83edaf967.jpeg

I am on the West coast of Scotland - staying up until at least 1am so hopefully I get lucky! 

• Like 2

Posted

I have found some London webcams (why on earth did I not think to do this sooner!? It is London, its bound to have loads of high webcams!):
https://www.visitlondon.com/things-to-do/sightseeing/london-attraction/webcams-of-london

The bottom one, "Live webcam of the river Thames", is North facing.

I did a quick look at the history and oh what is that I spot from last night?
5d2a917781d7a00001fe0364?width=1920&heig

• Like 4

Posted

Plenty of reports coming in from Europe atm....according to

https://www.facebook.com/search/posts/?q=Noctilucent clouds around the world&epa=SERP_TAB

Theoretically drifting around to our longitude during the morning hours

Edited by Arnie Pie
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Woke up around 3am so went for a look with the dogs and a cup of tea.. Saw the first of the season to the N/E low on the horizon but not strong enough for my phone camera to pick up, Excellent all the same and many reports coming in with some strong displays further North.

Screenshot_20190715-040716.thumb.jpg.2f618f25da4e73446ddd371de712df8a.jpgScreenshot_20190715-041514.thumb.jpg.77fd5d13658c4327c06668c12ed3f1be.jpg

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 4

Posted

mmmm...The theorys right,,,,a  bright display burst into life around 2.40am to our NNE at 5°- 8° altitude

downloading photos which i`ll post later

Nice one Polar

11 minutes ago, Polar Maritime said:

Woke up around 3am so went for a look with the dogs and a cup of tea.. Saw the first of the season to the N/E low on the horizon but not strong enough for my phone camera to pick up, Excellent all the same and many reports coming in with some strong displays further North.

Screenshot_20190715-040716.thumb.jpg.2f618f25da4e73446ddd371de712df8a.jpg

Had to get my zoom out to get this.....thats one of the two Tolkien's towers

2 026.jpg

Edited by Arnie Pie
  • Like 3

Posted

stayed out until midnight... nowt, but i couldnt see the horizon from my back garden.

3.30 am .... nowt, lol..

• Like 1

Posted
3 hours ago, mushymanrob said:

stayed out until midnight... nowt, but i couldnt see the horizon from my back garden.

3.30 am .... nowt, lol..

At least you managed to stop up Rob, Going to bed at 6:30 last night was a big help for me after watching cricket some Hobgoblin gold and a Sunday roast.. long day ahead though.

• Like 3