Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Noctilucent Clouds Season 2019

Posted
  • Location: Glasnevin Latitude: 53°22′49″ N Longitude: 6°15′51″ W Elevation above sea level: 40 m = 131 ft
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, NLC
  • Location: Glasnevin Latitude: 53°22′49″ N Longitude: 6°15′51″ W Elevation above sea level: 40 m = 131 ft
7 hours ago, Weather-history said:

Just a small display just before midnight and around 1am

If only you could move those houses to the right a little. Good video.

• Like 2

On 27/06/2019 at 12:51, Arnie Pie said:

Some great photos taken from The North and good to see them posted..... I would say they were low latitude Noctilucent clouds......The fine lined structure and shine gives it away...a beauty

Or perhaps high latitude...was clear all night Wednesday but couldn't see a sausage further south from north Cheshire so didn't bother looking last night even though I was awake and turns out there were some present duh!

Edited by Interitus

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Columus Bigus Convectivus
11 hours ago, Weather-history said:

Just a small display just before midnight and around 1am

Short and sweet......and certainly worth recording....I know you have mentioned this in passed posts.....is your webcam viewing due N?

Our area was clouded out by midnight....but we had a view out to our NW wich started soon after sunset....and was the furthest West for NLC`s that i have witnessed

Had to set the camera up from scratch to catch the Westward showing.........only to get my settings wrong....far to under-exposed

Heres an images that i`ve put through a filter which helps show the structure,position and altitude of the cloud

1749966112_1-thur358.thumb.jpg.00549956818b71255c0c41a3d9dea7cd.jpg

Taken around 11pm to my NW at a altitude of 10°

Edited by Arnie Pie
  • Like 4

Posted

Latest AIM sat image for Wed 26th June

Plenty of mid latitude NLC`s still out there......big notch a 2`o`oclock

current_daisy26.thumb.png.1b8c7bf669a8a8032319e30a6c4f14a2.png

Posted
15 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

Yes it is facing north

Must have missed this display to the N....Trying to sort out my time-lapse out......the star at around 3am idicated due N aswell

the reason i`ve been asking.... is the clouds witnessed in the NW....Must be one of the fingers of the NCL`s cloud stretching down to the Western side of the country (?)......Just wondering how that will look on the sat image

Edited by Arnie Pie

Posted
3 hours ago, Interitus said:

Or perhaps high latitude...was clear all night Wednesday but couldn't see a sausage further south from north Cheshire so didn't bother looking last night even though I was awake and turns out there were some present duh!

Perhaps....I was thinking along the lines of low altitude NLC`s...I`m lucky enough to have a great view due N and view the lower latitude NCL's....the luminosity seems similar to me.....Tomorrow`s sat image will help......2 Beautiful photo`sanyway

Posted

Lurker here...

Been following this thread and keen to try and have a stab at catching some NLC's. Tonight is forecast to be clear down my neck of the woods (London) but if I am interpreting everything that has been previously posted on this thread correctly (unlikely), the AIM image suggests unfavourable conditions for this evening, given the UK is now sat around about where that big fat "notch" is in the top right section of the image. I understand that there is some "pot luck" involved in any event but I am curious to know if my thinking is correct.

• Like 2

Posted

Yes your thinking is correct But as you said there are some many variants that could happen

It's the first season we have tried this clock face method based soley on logic.....

Looking at the sat image if we are saying that 2 days transit takes us back to between 1-2 o`clock to find the sky which should be over our head tonight.......then logically last nights clouds should be between 4-5 o'clock

The obsevations in the NW skies, last night must indicate a finger of cloud to the west side of the uk at lower latitudes......and looking at the sat image there a finger stretching down to 60°latitude

tonights 1-2 o'clock notch has a few floating clouds and a finger streching down to mid levels which should be to our East this evening which could give us some low altitude sightings

it a working progress

Edited by Arnie Pie
  • Like 2

Posted
On 27/06/2019 at 16:00, Jo Farrow said:

Tricky, we may have to wait for the AIM daisy chart for last night. I usually look on twitter for #NLCnow to see if anyone else can see them. there was one, that was it. Was a lot of low cloud from the North Sea but you tend to see some noise from Europe. I've only seen them vividly last Friday and they were higher up, so separate from horizon and distinct. 

@Huntforsnow 

@Mr Frost

@Interitus

Looking at the sat image for Wed 26th.....there appears to be a drifting line of NLC`s  at about 73° latitude due North..... which would show at low altitude

current_daisy26.thumb.png.7c11c0f2bd267bd9e134a460333dc456.png

Edited by Arnie Pie
  • Like 3

Posted

Many Thanks for the comprehensive reply. Good to know my understanding is correct.

I did ambitiously go out and have a look this evening until around 2300 but didn't see anything, which I guess is in line with expectations. Shame, weather was perfect.

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, Cal5 said:

Many Thanks for the comprehensive reply. Good to know my understanding is correct.

I did ambitiously go out and have a look this evening until around 2300 but didn't see anything, which I guess is in line with expectations. Shame, weather was perfect.

No problems Cal,,,,,Its great to hear off someone who understands my understanding of the issue

yep shame about the no-show with  cloud free weather tonight... and as you rightly stated  we are in the big fat notch thing...so would not expect many sightings from our position....the floating cloud in the notch may have dispersed or be a few degrees either side...

pretty sure that we will catch a night when all the factors come together

they may show a couple of hours after Sunset or equally show up a couple of hours before Sunrise

no sightings atm

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.
16 hours ago, Arnie Pie said:

Latest AIM sat image for Wed 26th June

Plenty of mid latitude NLC`s still out there......big notch a 2`o`oclock

current_daisy26.thumb.png.1b8c7bf669a8a8032319e30a6c4f14a2.png

thanks for all your info..

could i ask, where do you get these daisy charts from? i tried the link jo posted but i can only find upto june 22...  if my understanding is correct, by now those at 11-1 on the above chart should be over us around now?...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
1 hour ago, mushymanrob said:

thanks for all your info..

could i ask, where do you get these daisy charts from? i tried the link jo posted but i can only find upto june 22...  if my understanding is correct, by now those at 11-1 on the above chart should be over us around now?...

Hi Rob, Here on Spaceweather scroll down and it's on the left. Not had any luck myself so far this year as always nodded off. Will be stopping up tonight hopefully.

http://www.spaceweather.com/

• Like 1

Posted
33 minutes ago, Polar Maritime said:

Hi Rob, Here on Spaceweather scroll down and it's on the left. Not had any luck myself so far this year as always nodded off. Will be stopping up tonight hopefully.

http://www.spaceweather.com/

thanks for that

yeah, my body clock is set for sleep by 10, usually wine induced, lol, so staying up has been difficult.

but i am up tonight, going to 'classical ibiza' at catesthorpe hall (ibiza dance played by an orchestra) up near macclesfield. fingers crossed that cold front doesnt arrive too soon!

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, mushymanrob said:

thanks for that

yeah, my body clock is set for sleep by 10, usually wine induced, lol, so staying up has been difficult.

but i am up tonight, going to 'classical ibiza' at catesthorpe hall (ibiza dance played by an orchestra) up near macclesfield. fingers crossed that cold front doesnt arrive too soon!

Yep Polars right.....just click on the thumbnail image

They normally become available mid afternoon....but this time seems random over the weekend

I`ll post the latest when available

I  think you`ll see a great display of lights at your 'sophisticated rave' tonight......enjoy

• Like 1

Posted

Just looking back to some ealier posts...I am guilty of skipping though some of the links that @Jo Farrow posted at the start of the season.....Far to tekky for me

It`s good to learn though....some great uptodate information here

https://www.iap-kborn.de/en/research/department-radar-remote-sensing/current-radar-observations/oswin-mesosphere/

(The blue thing on the blue thingy graph).....just started to make sense ( cracking headache now...hoping that it`s a thunderstorm a coming)

and how i missed this one

http://ukazy.astro.cz/nlc-monitor.php

webcams galore

Cheers Jo

Edited by Arnie Pie
  • Like 1

Posted

Latest AIM sat image for Thursday 27 June

current_daisy27.thumb.png.728cd6a60d8f0d1ac7ad97a4c3a87248.png

Posted

Looks like we miissed a brarmer on thursday by a few degrees to the East....clouded out by midnight imby

good to see some small fingers to the West....which correspond to the images on the night... out to the NW

theres a big bank of NLC`s around  70° latitude In the area that should be above us tonight

Just need a clear night/ morning

• Like 1

Posted

Live cam facing N in CZ....no clouds viewed yet...to early.....to cloudy here

https://kamery.humlnet.cz/en/kamery/trutnov-gablenz2/

http://portal.chmi.cz/files/portal/docs/meteo/kam/prohlizec.html?cam=lklb

Edited by Arnie Pie

Posted

Due N..... 5° altitude 02.30am

173439189_sat069.thumb.jpg.a6239e22b52ec81421e1a8c204eefc24.jpg

NNE same

1908172836_sat071.thumb.jpg.6f596bab103dedaf95c3c3638a3b533f.jpg

Edited by Arnie Pie
  • Like 2

Posted
15 hours ago, Arnie Pie said:

Latest AIM sat image for Thursday 27 June

current_daisy27.thumb.png.728cd6a60d8f0d1ac7ad97a4c3a87248.png

so a decent chance tonight as we are expecting whats between 1200 and 0200 on that daisy chart?..

Posted
4 hours ago, mushymanrob said:

so a decent chance tonight as we are expecting whats between 1200 and 0200 on that daisy chart?..

I think you head must still be at the Rave....You ol` chessy Quaver.....that`s the sat image for last night/ this mornings predicted viewing....a big bank of NLC`s around  70° latitude around the clockface area of 12-2 o`clock

So yes I did expect a decent chance last night....depending on the cloud cover

I`ll post the latest AIM sat image when available

Edited by Arnie Pie
  • Like 1