Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Noctilucent Clouds Season 2019

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.
4 hours ago, Hirudine said:

Bright display this morning.......scuppered by cloud! 

Did anyone manage a clear view?

20190623_034716_Richtone(HDR).jpg

went out last night, but it was too cloudy, saw nothing in between the gaps in the cloud though. gave up at midnight.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Columus Bigus Convectivus
10 hours ago, Hirudine said:

Bright display this morning.......scuppered by cloud! 

Did anyone manage a clear view?

20190623_034716_Richtone(HDR).jpg

I did see a showing before midnight and had the same view as you Hirudine this morning.....and in all fairness they did look the part...... ( trouble is that im begining to see NLCs in my sleep).

927532377_satnot.thumb.jpg.f600cba0eaf9c6e63c8360d375834450.jpg

but i`m not sure about these

I checked on Sat 24 and we had wall to wall cloud over the country... plus there were no stars visible in the Northern skies

I think they would have to be Radioactive to shine through the muck above us

Edit;  NLCs were visible in polland this morning

1266223646_Poland23-62019.thumb.jpg.bd48c4a412633d7369dd1bdce4a8fb09.jpg

http://spaceweathergallery.com/nlc_gallery.html

Edited by Arnie Pie
  • Like 1

Posted

5 hours ago, mushymanrob said:

went out last night, but it was too cloudy, saw nothing in between the gaps in the cloud though. gave up at midnight.

The data`s available for the mdweeks no -showing....and shows a lack of NLCs over the Uk.....Just unlucky Rob......dont have a go on the lottery this week

current_daisy20.thumb.png.dd1e1a0bdc9e7526f4c2f3fcde1fda68.png

A bit mucky this week cloudwise.........time to switch to thunderstorm mode

more overnighters to come.....

Edited by Arnie Pie
  • Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Arnie Pie said:

I did see a showing before midnight and had the same view as you Hirudine this morning.....and in all fairness they did look the part...... ( trouble is that im begining to see NLCs in my sleep).

927532377_satnot.thumb.jpg.f600cba0eaf9c6e63c8360d375834450.jpg

I know the feeling! I did um and ah about whether to include my pic, as the cloud cover made it almost impossible to see any detail to absolutely confirm it was NLC, but it was taken over an hour before sunrise- you wouldn't normally see the lightening sky through clouds at that point from my experience. Another thing which might have been an influence was the position of the setting moon, possibly helping to illuminate a larger extent of NLC?

• Like 1

Posted

just now there is an electric blue tinge to the clouds.....which is the same time as last night.....certainly not NLCs

may have something to do with the shallow orbit of the Sun from Sunset to sunrise

Posted

Latest AIM saterlite image......for last Friday.....confirms the good showing over the country

current_daisy21.thumb.png.c5f6b50573811f40d62441ebd620c686.png

Uk at the bottom

My guestimation to where we are at pressent....140 degree`s anti- clockwise (2 days)

Edited by Arnie Pie
  • Like 1

Posted
22 hours ago, Arnie Pie said:

Latest AIM saterlite image......for last Friday.....confirms the good showing over the country

current_daisy21.thumb.png.c5f6b50573811f40d62441ebd620c686.png

Uk at the bottom

My guestimation to where we are at pressent....140 degree`s anti- clockwise (2 days)

i dont get what you mean... where we are at present, 140 degrees.. 2 days..

Posted

2 hours ago, mushymanrob said:

i dont get what you mean... where we are at present, 140 degrees.. 2 days..

Yep....Kind of un-clear...(really knackered atm)....i know what i want to say but are finding it difficult to portray in a comprehending way.....not that thats ever stopped me before

The only available data as far as i can find that i understand are the images from the AIM saterlite which are only available 2 days after being taken

I have made a Gif withe the latest available data June 14th to June 22nd (last Sunday)

If you look at the Gif you can see the mass of NLCs travel around the pole in a clockwise direction....and NASA believe this takes 5 days to complete a complete transit around the pole... which to my calculation are 72 degrees transit per day.

Now look at the Gif as if it were a clockface.....with the UK being at 6 o`clock

therefore to gauge approx where we are at present we must move anti-clockwise from 6 o`clock (Uk position).....2 days transit ( 144 degree`s ) which would bring us somewhere between 1 and 2 o`clock

1972822876_gif14-22.thumb.gif.3dfa4b59548075bd59084d5a9dbe0f32.gif

Clockwise transition of NLC`s arond the pole

current_daisy22.thumb.png.97a291ebb8f6f229cc17384c1bb7022b.png

Clockface guesswork.....We are around 2 o`clock at pressent

I hope this makes sense Rob....not that the cloud cover atm is helping.... but we may be able to give you a good head`s up when the cloud clears........You will go to the Ball

Edited by Arnie Pie

Posted
19 hours ago, Arnie Pie said:

Yep....Kind of un-clear...(really knackered atm)....i know what i want to say but are finding it difficult to portray in a comprehending way.....not that thats ever stopped me before

The only available data as far as i can find that i understand are the images from the AIM saterlite which are only available 2 days after being taken

I have made a Gif withe the latest available data June 14th to June 22nd (last Sunday)

If you look at the Gif you can see the mass of NLCs travel around the pole in a clockwise direction....and NASA believe this takes 5 days to complete a complete transit around the pole... which to my calculation are 72 degrees transit per day.

Now look at the Gif as if it were a clockface.....with the UK being at 6 o`clock

therefore to gauge approx where we are at present we must move anti-clockwise from 6 o`clock (Uk position).....2 days transit ( 144 degree`s ) which would bring us somewhere between 1 and 2 o`clock

1972822876_gif14-22.thumb.gif.3dfa4b59548075bd59084d5a9dbe0f32.gif

Clockwise transition of NLC`s arond the pole

current_daisy22.thumb.png.97a291ebb8f6f229cc17384c1bb7022b.png

Clockface guesswork.....We are around 2 o`clock at pressent

I hope this makes sense Rob....not that the cloud cover atm is helping.... but we may be able to give you a good head`s up when the cloud clears........You will go to the Ball

ah, im beginning to comprehend now i think.. so whats at around 2 oclock is due over gb in about 2 days? about 11 oclock 3 days?.. is that sort of right?... thank you very much for explaining it, appreciated

Posted

Thanks Rob......I seem to have lost a day/night.... somewhere tracking non-existant storms and clouded out NCL`s

My dates in the above information are incorrect...although I believe my clock-face theory to be correct

I`ll await the latest satalite image to be published.....so we can guage our position

Forcasted to be clearer tonight/ tomorrow morning

Edit; You correctly asumed 3 days to be around 11 0`clockish.......I have noticed that the NLC`s cloud and it`s finger`s.... can expand or recess over the 5 day transition period......which makes nailing a forecast down......difficult....I think we will just be lowering the odds

Edited by Arnie Pie
  • Like 1

Posted

Latest sat image from Monday 24th June.....looks like the cloudy nights have robbed us of some good displays

current_daisy24.thumb.png.1eaed8de121525ec131f254dc4ad9a3f.png

Forecast clearer over night

The mass of clouds on the sat image between 1and 2 o`clock..... are the clouds that should be visible tonight (2 days transit)

There`s was an interesting broken finger of cloud, reaching down to 63° latitude.....which if still there... should be visible tonight

Edited by Arnie Pie
  • Like 1

Posted
14 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

That can't be noctilucent clouds I see now? The sun hasn't set but there is odd cloud visible high up.

Wall to wall cloud atm.....I can see some gaps in the cloud around Manchester way and it seems clear to the North of York.......could well be any chance of photo

Posted
  • Location: Glasnevin Latitude: 53°22′49″ N Longitude: 6°15′51″ W Elevation above sea level: 40 m = 131 ft
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, NLC
  • Location: Glasnevin Latitude: 53°22′49″ N Longitude: 6°15′51″ W Elevation above sea level: 40 m = 131 ft

Any sightings yet? I can't see anything from my view. If I have clear skies tomorrow I might head out, my camera is collecting dust waiting on Thunderstorms.

• Like 1

Posted

No not as yet there seems to be a light coverage of low clouds covering the countries atm....Which is slowly clearing

capture-20190627-002259.thumb.png.eac3e7fc4b56c959bf0287f1d7deaba0.png

and a mexican with big ears riding up the M5

• Like 1

Posted
13 hours ago, Arnie Pie said:

Latest sat image from Monday 24th June.....looks like the cloudy nights have robbed us of some good displays

current_daisy24.thumb.png.1eaed8de121525ec131f254dc4ad9a3f.png

Forecast clearer over night

The mass of clouds on the sat image between 1and 2 o`clock..... are the clouds that should be visible tonight (2 days transit)

There`s was an interesting broken finger of cloud, reaching down to 63° latitude.....which if still there... should be visible tonight

thanks

its looking better next week, a fresh northwesterly mon-weds should be clear skies, so maybe an opportunity?..

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!
1 hour ago, mushymanrob said:

thanks

its looking better next week, a fresh northwesterly mon-weds should be clear skies, so maybe an opportunity?..

Mushy you seem to know about this so thought I would quote you!

I took this picture at 23:00 last night - sunset was 22:10.

86997DF5-85E1-4D3B-986B-40B474775109.thumb.jpeg.6e78ef332cf1880d240bd68acd729c7d.jpeg

It was 21c and clear blue sky all day - there was no clouds! 

Do you think this is Noctilucent clouds? I done a bit of research and have attached a couple of screenshots which makes me believe it may well be!?

@Jo Farrow this was taken in Gourock, Scotland - would be good to hear what you think it is?

Would also be grateful to hear the thoughts of anyone else! 

Much appreciated everyone!

8E88F139-894B-4340-B61F-D44DB1C52E69.thumb.png.8c32ed1015cbc4fb4d6df397408d3110.png0B11FE15-A9E0-45F8-8AB5-95041CF0EEAB.thumb.png.e0735e3801c21ba95ded505392ef71ec.png

Edited by Mr Frost

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool clear sunny weather all year.
23 minutes ago, Mr Frost said:

86997DF5-85E1-4D3B-986B-40B474775109.thumb.jpeg.6e78ef332cf1880d240bd68acd729c7d.jpeg

Do you think this is Noctilucent clouds? I done a bit of research and have attached a couple of screenshots which makes me believe it may well be!?

@Jo Farrow this was taken in Gourock, Scotland - would be good to hear what you think it is?

8E88F139-894B-4340-B61F-D44DB1C52E69.thumb.png.8c32ed1015cbc4fb4d6df397408d3110.png0B11FE15-A9E0-45F8-8AB5-95041CF0EEAB.thumb.png.e0735e3801c21ba95ded505392ef71ec.png

I may be wrong, if so I apologise, but they look like just high clouds, having seen a massive display when driving through Belgium years ago one night and several in this country.
The one I saw while driving abroad was so bright it was virtually dusk all night ie it wasnt dark at 1am
You wont miss them when you see them as they are almost irridesent, they just look like sun touched clouds and to low.

Edited by seaside 60
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!
35 minutes ago, seaside 60 said:

I may be wrong, if so I apologise, but they look like just high clouds, having seen a massive display when driving through Belgium years ago one night and several in this country.
The one I saw while driving abroad was so bright it was virtually dusk all night ie it wasnt dark at 1am
You wont miss them when you see them as they are almost irridesent, they just look like sun touched clouds and to low.

Cheers for the feedback - much appreciated.

It was still bright out at 12:30 a.m. - never witnessed anything like it before! 

Plus there was zero cloud cover when the sun went down - it was 40 minutes later when the orange/red lines appeared on my horizon.

@Huntforsnow lives not far from me and had this view. 

11 hours ago, Huntforsnow said:

Beautiful sunset tonight. 

Wondering what all the lines in the sky are? 

20190626_222213.jpg

20190626_222221.jpg

Edited by Mr Frost
  • Like 3

Posted
2 hours ago, Mr Frost said:

Would also be grateful to hear the thoughts of anyone else! 

hi

im learning... lol

but as 'seaside 60' says, just high cloud, not noctilucents im afraid.

• Like 1

Posted

Some great photos taken from The North and good to see them posted..... @Huntforsnow... I would say they were low latitude Noctilucent clouds......The fine lined structure and shine gives it away...a beauty

@Mr Frost ....This really looks to be the same Noctilucent cloud only caught in the post sunset red glow

If you zoom in you can see the fine lined structure of the cloud....and what a lovely back drop for you photo,,,another Beauty

imby......Clouded out... but with an eary glow to my to my N and NW

Edited by Arnie Pie
  • Like 3

Posted
5 hours ago, mushymanrob said:

We can only hope Rob.........but dont discount this evening ...it`s forecast to be clear and is looking the part

Finally a chance to test the clockface theory

I`ll post the latest AIM sat images when they are published

Edited by Arnie Pie
  • Like 3

Posted

Latest AIM sat image for Tuesday 25th June

current_daisy25.thumb.png.1ec6584fd54edbc165e767848839cdd9.png

Latest Forecast for tonight is clear with light cloud moving in from the N sea during the early hours

Looking at this image as a clockface with the UK at the bottom ( 6 o`clock)

I believe that after 2 days transit the cloud mass above us tonight will be the cloud mass that are between 1 and 2 o`clock on this image.(ish)

forgive me for using the ish word as i have also noticed that the NLC`s cloud and it`s finger`s.... can expand or recess over the 5 day transition period.

looking at this latest image there`s a seperate mass of NCL`s around 1-2 o`clock area that are around the 60° lattitude... and... IF these have survived there 2 day transit....( out on a limb here)..theywill be visible tonight

Fingers crossed & happy hunting

• Like 1