Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Best/worst months and seasons of the 2010?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

Best:

Jan 2010: Cold with snow, a proper winter month!

Feb 2019: Not exactly remarkable looking at the whole month but we went from snow at the start of the month to the high teens by the 3rd week.

Mar 2018: BFTE and BFTE 2 made the month for me.

Apr 2011: Can remember it being warm and generally settled

May 2018: The only May I can pick out recently which was warm, dry and sunny with a handful of thunderstorms towards the month's end.. 2 very warm BH weekends too

June 2018: the prolonged warm and dry, sunny weather.

July 2018: the continuation of the warm and dry weather with the Atlantic breaking through at the end, ahhh.

Aug 2019: reasonably warm and it felt sunnier compared to recent Augusts.

Sep 2016: I remember it being quite a warm month with warm air occassionally being dragged up from the south

Oct 2017: Not much of an exciting month but we did have the Saharah Dust courtesy of Ophelia and that was an interesting phenomenon

Nov 2010: it beats the rest

Dec 2010: remarkable... very cold with snow. A cold Christmas too.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

Best months/years for me

January 2010 - Cold with some snow. Best period of snow in my area for a long time.

November 2010 - The late part of the month, November 30th was my favourite day of that month when I got over a foot of snow that night.

December 2010 - Came as a big shock to me since I'd given up on ever expecting a severe cold month. This was my favourite weather chart of the entire decade for a cold lover like me

CFSR_1_2010121612_1.thumb.png.0dcab352d13c9cc89e7d9d0fd32c6a08.png

March and April 2012 - Although I'm not a particular fan of very warm weather in March or cold wet weather in April these two months rank amongst my favourites simply due to how we switched from one extreme to the other.

January to March 2013 - Cold and wintry period which satisfied my love of cold and snowy weather.

July 2013 - It made a change to get a decent month of summer like weather for a change after the washouts/boring summers from 2007 to 2012.

July 2014 - Decent thunderstorms at times during this month in particular

Late January 2015 - The only real decent snow event in Scunthorpe that entire winter. The Boxing Day 2014 event came and went without a trace and no covering on the ground at all the next day.

October 2017 - Not a favourite for the weather itself or the temperatures but for that red sun on the 16th that will stick long in my memory.

November 2017 to March 2018 - A decent winter in my books due to how early we got snow with this one and at times during December 2017 to February 2018 before we end the winter period in style with the Beast from the East at the end of February before Beast from the East part 2 came in March.

May 2018 to July 2018 - A decent summer spell with many very warm or hot day. This was my favourite summer of the 2010's. Lacked thunderstorms throughout this period until the 26th and 27th July 2018 which delivered many lightning strikes and a big cloudburst on the 27th, perfect.

July 2019 - Only a favourite due to the very hot Thursday 25th watching the temperature maximums on Netweather to see if the record was going to fall and I was happy when we managed to beat the all time temperature record. If it's going to get that hot we may as well threaten or beat the record in doing so.

August 2019 - The best thunderstorms of the year came on the 28th of this month. A fantastic lightning show for over an hour after 8:30pm until near 10pm made the day for me.

Worst months/years for me

Summer 2010 and 2011 - Pretty boring and uneventful bland summers as far as I was concerned. Maybe remember them due to just how boring they were weather and temperature wise.

January 2011 - A bad month for me as it was when the cold of December 2010 was undone and all that snow that had built up in December disappeared and it was back to the normal green muddy winter mess.

December 2011 - Maybe only a bad month for me as I had memories of what happened the year before and how I had wished it could have happened again and was so disappointed with the Atlantic zonal month of December 2011.

Summer 2012 - Nothing worse than a total washout of a summer. May as well skipped straight to Autumn after what happened in 2012.

Winter 2013/2014 - I hated this winter which had no snow what so ever. Nothing but wind and rain and a lot of it. I lost count of how many deep areas of low pressure passed us and if they had named storms during this winter they may well have run out of names.

Summer 2015 - A bad summer overall and the only thing that made this one less bad than 2012 for me was the very hot day on July 1st 2015 and the decent overnight thunderstorms on the 3rd July 2015.

December 2015 - A horror show for cold lovers like me. Nothing was worse than the almost continuous sub tropical air mass onslaught during December 2015. It was so warm that many nights saw summer like minimum temperatures and this tropical air even reached the North Pole when Storm Frank got in on the act. Above freezing in the Arctic was one of the shock horror news items of that month. The below chart is the worst winter chart I had ever seen for cold lovers.

CFSR_1_2015121706_2.thumb.png.bd29411698007a20ba0c68277e6b1ccd.png

Winter 2016/2017 - A rather boring winter compared to the two previous ones. Not a lot happened which made this one of my worst winters of the 2010's

August 2017 and 2018 - Both these Augusts were big let downs after the June and July periods before them, especially 2018. Summer 2017 was decent in June and this continued on into the July to an extent before August was cool and unsettled. 2018 was an even worse let down as both June and July 2018 were very summer like before the big switch in the August to wet and average temperatures.

Winter 2018/2019 - Mild and Dry is the worst kind of winter weather for me. If it is dry it may as well be cold and frosty with it, not cloudy, dull and mild for weeks on end and if we have cloud it may as well be of use and at least rain but better still snow from it. February 2019 was a big let down after all the model hype about the cold weather that was predicted then we went the other way with that unusual warmth.

Autumn 2019 - Nothing worse for me than lots of rain to make everything a wet, muddy mess ready for the winter and reduce the chances of any snow settling when we do finally get any.

Overall plenty of variety during this decade but very often the wrong sort of weather for the season. The only times that I feel I got prolonged spells of the right weather for the season was December 2010, Winter 2012/2013, July 2013, July 2014 and Summer 2018. Most of the rest of the decade saw messed up weather patterns with December 2015 probably the most messed up of all.