Holidays
Local
Radar
Snow?
Sign in to follow this  
mushymanrob

Game of Thrones

anyone else watching this long running fantasy series conclude?...

I am. Lots to resolve next week?

Rumour that the books are finished and will be released on the conclusion of the TV series.

*spoiler alert*

I have been watching it, I get the feeling season 8 has been rushed so far. IMO the quality of the writing hasn't been as good since the TV show moved ahead of the books. Plot lines that would have covered several episodes in earlier seasons are now just crammed into 1.

The worst example of this was killing off the white walkers in 1 episode after building them up for 7 seasons. I think the 'twist' in the last episode was pretty obvious that it was going to happen. I still enjoy watching it but its as good as seasons 1-4 for example ('Red wedding' is the best episode IMO, or at least the one that always sticks in my mind).

I'm still hoping there is a Bran Stark twist in there somewhere but with 1 episode left I'm not sure it will happen. I'm pretty sure he worged into the horse at the end though to help Arya. There have been a lot of scenes this season where Bran is about to talk and then the show shifts to a different scene... so I get the impression they are hiding something.

Edited by Quicksilver1989
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Quicksilver1989 said:

*spoiler alert*

I have been watching it, I get the feeling season 8 has been rushed so far. IMO the quality of the writing hasn't been as good since the TV show moved ahead of the books. Plot lines that would have covered several episodes in earlier seasons are now just crammed into 1.

The worst example of this was killing off the white walkers in 1 episode after building them up for 7 seasons. I think the 'twist' in the last episode was pretty obvious that it was going to happen. I still enjoy watching it but its as good as seasons 1-4 for example ('Red wedding' is the best episode IMO, or at least the one that always sticks in my mind).

I'm still hoping there is a Bran Stark twist in there somewhere but with 1 episode left I'm not sure it will happen. I'm pretty sure he worged into the horse at the end though to help Arya. There have been a lot of scenes this season where Bran is about to talk and then the show shifts to a different scene... so I get the impression they are hiding something.

Bran is usless and spoliers for the season have all been coming off... so i have little hope.. 

59 minutes ago, Quicksilver1989 said:

*spoiler alert*

yes...the general family consensus is that it seems rushed, half hearted, and are just throwing things together to complete this project.

there have been so many 'wtf' moments, that uncharacteristically have not been thought through as much as the rest of the seasons.

however, it has still had some moving moments, like brienne getting knighted.

there appears to be only one question to answer so it can conclude... who else is going to die trying to remove the new 'baddie' , and who will take the throne?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mushymanrob said:

anyone else watching this long running fantasy series conclude?...

like @weather history, never seen it

not sure how to 'tag' members?

1 hour ago, mushymanrob said:

yes...the general family consensus is that it seems rushed, half hearted, and are just throwing things together to complete this project.

there have been so many 'wtf' moments, that uncharacteristically have not been thought through as much as the rest of the seasons.

however, it has still had some moving moments, like brienne getting knighted.

there appears to be only one question to answer so it can conclude... who else is going to die trying to remove the new 'baddie' , and who will take the throne?

Yup it's as if the writers thought 'if we have spectacular cinematics people won't notice the plot holes during them'. The episode where Dany first attacks Euron's (what a naff character he was) fleet was particularly poorly done. Had Dany not heard of scouting?

I think I will reserve complete judgement till the end of next weeks episode but the writing has declined. Breaking bad and the wire are still my favourite dramas and GoT  doesn't come close now. Could be worse though for its final season, e.g. Dexter...

I've been hooked from the beginning tbh.  I've also read all the books, which are truly excellent.  I agree this last series has been very rushed sadly but I have still enjoyed every minute.  I wonder if they will leave a few loose ends as there is so much talk of spin off series.  I was personally disappointed in Cersei's end, I so wanted a public execution by Drogon 😂 purely on account of all her evil doings - she got away far too lightly.  Surely now they have to prevent Danny from taking the iron throne as she has demonstrated she could be a tyrant.  Do hope they leave Drogon be though, I was so sad when the dragons perished but in Dany's hands he can do so much damage.  I have half wondered in a mad moment whether Jon Snow may marry Sansa to rule together for the good if the realm as they are no longer half brother and sister but cousins.  It was a comment either Tyrion or Vary's made (can't remember) when it was said Westeros was always more peaceful and prosperous when Stark's and Targaryen's ruled together.  I shall miss GoT but am so looking forward to the spin off I believe is being made - no dragons sadly but white walkers should feature.  

I also could see Dany returning to Valyria with her remaining dragon  after realising she has somehow lost all.

18 hours ago, Quicksilver1989 said:

Yup it's as if the writers thought 'if we have spectacular cinematics people won't notice the plot holes during them'. The episode where Dany first attacks Euron's (what a naff character he was) fleet was particularly poorly done. Had Dany not heard of scouting?

I think I will reserve complete judgement till the end of next weeks episode but the writing has declined. Breaking bad and the wire are still my favourite dramas and GoT  doesn't come close now. Could be worse though for its final season, e.g. Dexter...

that was really poor... as if they couldnt have seen the iron fleet for miles off before it was close enough to attack, then dany could just attack them from the side or rear, that dragon is a lot more manoverable then a ship even with a swivveling catapult.

i might be heavily critical of modern comedy and music, but modern drama is going through a golden age with so many top class tv dramas around over the last several years... and its not 'over' yet .

Ok the the story is a bit rushed as it is bit strange for there, supposedly, to be no further series. Unlike  blooming Line of Duty. 

As a vast majority of viewers couldn’t write a story that would hook anyone for more than two seconds why not let them get on with it?

As far as I am aware various different conclusions have been filmed. Probably producers are judging from reactions now what to use. 

If anyone is sad enough to have their life blighted by a tv programme they better have some therapy. Everyone else seems to as it seems to be the current vogue. Get on with life. 

Something to watch in the future,I keep saying this but havn`t started yet.

47 minutes ago, Snipper said:

Ok the the story is a bit rushed as it is bit strange for there, supposedly, to be no further series. Unlike  blooming Line of Duty. 

As a vast majority of viewers couldn’t write a story that would hook anyone for more than two seconds why not let them get on with it?

As far as I am aware various different conclusions have been filmed. Probably producers are judging from reactions now what to use. 

If anyone is sad enough to have their life blighted by a tv programme they better have some therapy. Everyone else seems to as it seems to be the current vogue. Get on with life. 

I don't think anyone here is suggesting their life is blighted by it, your reply is a bit over the top. Are we not allowed to critique a TV series? The early seasons were so good they set a high water mark for the rest of the series which has fallen short right where it ends. This season has been good at times but it just feels rushed and a lost opportunity.

I'm still hoping there is a good twist at the end though.

1 minute ago, Snowyowl9 said:

If you do I suggest you watch it from the start. There is so much that turns up later in the series. Once you get to know the characters it is difficult not to be hooked. A word of warning the characters, on occasion, are ruthlessly killed off. Keeps you on your toes. 

We have watched earlier episodes again to understand the plot. Simplistically you don’t have to. 

Don't read too much into it and go with an enjoyable flow. 

Just because I enjoy it doesn’t mean you have to. But give it a chance by watching a few episodes. 

4 minutes ago, Quicksilver1989 said:

I don't think anyone here is suggesting their life is blighted by it, your reply is over the top. Are we not allowed to critique a TV series? The early seasons were so good they set a high water mark for the rest of the series which has fallen short right where it ends. This season has been good at times but it just feels rushed and a lost opportunity.

I'm still hoping there is a good twist at the end though.

If you look on line many seem to be so caught up with it that you wonder what else they can’t cope with. 

Yes let us see what the final episode is like. Then we can say that was ok or what’s to eat or is Jeremy Kyle on. The off button is always available 

2 minutes ago, Snipper said:

If you look on line many seem to be so caught up with it that you wonder what else they can’t cope with. 

Yes let us see what the final episode is like. Then we can say that was ok or what’s to eat or is Jeremy Kyle on. The off button is always available 

I do get where you are coming from, people just get too invested in the characters... lol

For what its worth I thought the last episode was a good one but the build up to it was as people have said rushed. It still felt like a logical turn though.

6 hours ago, mushymanrob said:

that was really poor... as if they couldnt have seen the iron fleet for miles off before it was close enough to attack, then dany could just attack them from the side or rear, that dragon is a lot more manoverable then a ship even with a swivveling catapult.

i might be heavily critical of modern comedy and music, but modern drama is going through a golden age with so many top class tv dramas around over the last several years... and its not 'over' yet .

On the subject of dramas, have you watched black mirror? I highly recommend it.

23 minutes ago, Quicksilver1989 said:

I do get where you are coming from, people just get too invested in the characters... lol

For what its worth I thought the last episode was a good one but the build up to it was as people have said rushed. It still felt like a logical turn though.

Such a pity series is so short. 

7 minutes ago, Quicksilver1989 said:

No I haven’t. Will check it out. Thanks for the suggestion. 

12 hours ago, Quicksilver1989 said:

nope.... thanks.

im currently catching up with the sopranos. would recommend 'power' on netflix..

14 hours ago, Snowyowl9 said:

If you like reading I'd read the novels as well. The HBO series does alter the storyline of some characters and misses out some characters altogether. Still waiting for the final novels and it will be interesting what GRR Martin's conclusions will be.  I am currently reading "Fire and Blood" which is the Targaryen history 300 years prior to GoT.  Next stop is the "World of Ice and Fire" which is the history of Westeros.  I do enjoy GRR Martin's novels - Fevre Dream is a good read - a vampire story set deep in the American south on board a paddle boat steamer. 

so...its showdown time... how many more will perish?..

its set now for a daenerys vs jon snow battle. i reckon daenerys will attack winterfel (in some way), i dont think sansa, bran, brienne, samwell, are safe yet.

what will bron do? he only has tyrion to give him what was promised, will bron kill tyrion now tyrion wont support daenerys?

will arya kill daenerys?

gendry for the throne?