Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Daft Temperature Sensor readings

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Last year I had no problems with the temperatures readings apart from one day when the fan wasn't working and the vp2 read a couple of degrees too high. New fan fixed that.

Recently ever so often it would read a degree too low. The Davis is next to Stephenson screen although I suppose it's possible it was in the shade while Stephenson was in the sun. Anyway after a few weeks being mostly bang on yesterday it was a degree down while today it's a degree 0.6C to high.

Sensor is the new sht31 however I don't have the original mounting board so I've got centred using a tie wrap. I wonder if it's too close to the fan which is causing the iffy readings.

Posted

Ahh just found my original mounting block so that's this weekends task.

Posted

I've never had a temperature sensor  (SHT11/15 or 31) that has behaved that way. Generally when they fail they either read nothing or give massively wrong readings (usually on humidity rather than temperature mind you). Are the Davis and the screen located right next to each other? The SHT31 reacts extremely quickly in a FARS screen and can momentarily pick up large swings that the sensor/thermometer in the screen may not.

I run two SHT31s - one in a DC-powered Davis FARS screen and another in a passive Davis 7717 screen as a backup and you do often get differences in sunny weather with wild temperature swings.

Posted

Hi Reef but it shouldn't read a degree cooler one day the next four days bang on then be out again. It's not even the weather conditions as the variation can occur on a sunny day with no wind or sunny day and windy or days can be cloudy. I would expect the sht31 to read slightly higher due to it reacting more quickly. I've had one fail and that was the humidity the other I simply upgraded. I wouldn't be surprised that sensor is too close to fan so that's distorting the readings somewhat.

Posted

Actually it doesn't look like sht31 as the board was manufactured in 2012 so it must be the 15 version. Anyway I've correctly mounted the sensor so lets see what happens.