Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - May and Early Summer!

2 minutes ago, Snowy L said:

2 days of slightly above average temperatures followed by weeks of crap is not typical summer weather.

Yep, UK payback weather in full swing! Not looking for the start of the Cricket World Cup either!! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer

Well I wouldn't be so quick to write off the next 10 weeks based on one poor output, although the first half of June '19 doesn't look good, the late Spring and early June of 1995 had a constant Northern wind due to Atlantic blocking before the high moved in and intensified giving way to heatwaves in late in June and July.  

• Like 5

Posted
9 minutes ago, Tamara said:

If I might interject at this point.

It might well be worth adding a bit more flesh to proceedings and come at this yet another way in terms of objective diagnostics vs model "hugging" hunches and speculative extrapolations of individual operational outputs

For this purpose, lets take the updated ECM 0z ensemble at day 10 - which is a reasonable estimate of where we are likely to be based on current state of affairs. It also rather illustrates the points I was trying to make yesterday in terms of the pressure void to our east.

Surely that constitutes a model 'hug' and im any case I'm not sure I would agree with your 'void' to the east

t240.thumb.png.85a27bf341847be76f12ec638666600d.png

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers
13 hours ago, ANYWEATHER said:

Good Evening All!  The brefiest of Plumes but looking at the profile could be some serious rainfall with that brief plume across central and southern Britain

For once I can't dispute the all the content your post 

The rainfall is not too much of a concern for Sunday however with thunderstorms favoured for those further North and East (as things stand!) but GFS can overestimate CAPE. Current forecast CAPE for Sunday looks pretty good it must be said!

image.thumb.png.b2f3941fce62f2fd4dd96bdf7e5bfe68.png

I think my concern is that heat is building over the continent and if the cooler air is sluggish to make inroads then this could lead to some serious rainfall in eastern areas. This GFS chart shows my overall thinking...
image.thumb.png.fec1eb99bc455208c4ea42462eb189cb.png

It's clear that to the west there is going to be some cool air but just how far east this moves is uncertain. ECM is rather more bullish leading to a cool showery flow from the WNW. If the GFS comes off however we could get areas of low pressure forming in the north sea meaning things could turn thundery and humid in the east although maximum temperatures would still be a little poor.

A brief plume though, but will it end with some good thunderstorms on sunday?

Edited by Quicksilver1989
  • Like 6

Posted
4 minutes ago, 38.5*C said:

Well I wouldn't be so quick to write off the next 10 weeks based on one poor output, although the first half of June '19 doesn't look good, the late Spring and early June of 1995 had a constant Northern wind due to Atlantic blocking before the high moved in and intensified giving way to heatwaves in late in June and July.  

Are you engaging in Bulverism as I'm not aware of anyone saying that?

• Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Starting to warm up by Friday and into the weekend with temps possibly touching 26/27c in some spots by Sunday. Scope for thunder storms into the early hours of Monday morning as cooler air pushes in from the West.

1030128794_viewimage-2019-05-28T102355_878.thumb.png.20a5019c7908522c89e3359a0218a1fa.png903753959_viewimage-2019-05-28T102405_469.thumb.png.c262c1eb84a64e9e68318dec1c3408b2.png1325940832_viewimage-2019-05-28T102518_794.thumb.png.11add449bf452709aa64c6e57472bd31.png1126872187_viewimage-2019-05-28T102532_931.thumb.png.af685f127d56293aa9538506541ec3a7.png654461981_viewimage-2019-05-28T102634_757.thumb.png.e648c7424bd940d4223beb7b8e725c46.png

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer
3 minutes ago, knocker said:

i was referring to the input that said "2 days of above average temps followed by weeks of crap is not typical summer weather. " in one of the above posts.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear skies , hard frost , snow !
20 minutes ago, knocker said:

That’s today’s new word learnt !! 

Edited by Badgers01
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Morning, well we go into meterological summer with the same undulating jet stream which seems to been around forever Of course it's not always a bad thing it does not mean it's going to be constant bad weather, I think this year farmers and growers can look forward to bumper crops with plenty of moisture but also a good measure of sunshine too....

hgt300.png

Edited by ANYWEATHER
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

Looking at the Ecm 00z ensemble mean, next week we are under the influence of a cool showery trough so a mixture of sunshine and showers, some heavy and thundery seems likely, beyond that there are hints of improvement further s / e with less showers and a recovery in temperatures.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow and....a bit more snow
19 minutes ago, Badgers01 said:

Indeed.....Today’s Lesson

Bulverism is a logical fallacy. The method of Bulverism is to "assume that your opponent is wrong, and explain his error." The Bulverist assumes a speaker's argument is invalid or false and then explains why the speaker came to make that mistake, attacking the speaker or the speaker's motive.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.
35 minutes ago, Badgers01 said:

I've got to be honest, I had to look this word up... I thought he was referring to an eating disorder when I first clocked it.. What a couple of days we have had, just the other day things were looking very rosey for a longer spell of settled Conditions, now we literally have low pressure anchored over us by Sunday.... In the words of the Queen.... One is not amused.. 

I just hope that this from the 6z gets watered down nearer the time, very unsettled conditions to the North of the country... Amazing to see how high pressure is bringing most of Europe fine summary conditions. 

gfs-0-138.png

gfs-0-168.png

Edited by Mattwolves
  • Like 5

Posted

The only positive words I can find for this at day 8 are its a long way off!! 

gfs-2-192.png

Posted
9 minutes ago, Mattwolves said:

The only positive words I can find for this at day 8 are its a long way off!! 

gfs-2-192.png

Dare I say welcome rain!!:shok:..I'll get my coat..and brolly☔

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.
3 minutes ago, Frosty. said:

Dare I say welcome rain!!:shok:..I'll get my coat..and brolly☔

Very much so down here!

• Like 7

Another dire run from GFS beyond the weekend and while yes it’s only one run, actually now it’s a rapidly deteriorating trend over the past 48hrs, hard to see the first half of June coming out with any better than an average CET. As I said last night I really don’t like troughing getting ‘anchored in’ so early in the season looks like the Baltic’s will be the place to be for sun and heat in early June. 

Posted

The only positive thing about the 1st chart is.... Its a long way off!!! And the only negative thing about the 2nd chart is.... Its a long way off I'm so frustrated I'm laughing, no matter what the time of year... Wether it's Winter or Summer.... Good old GFS always sends us the goods beyond a fortnight!!! Almost like it feels sorry for us.... Hopefully a better run next time. 

gfs-0-240.png

gfs-0-384 (1).png

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers
55 minutes ago, Mattwolves said:

I've got to be honest, I had to look this word up... I thought he was referring to an eating disorder when I first clocked it.. What a couple of days we have had, just the other day things were looking very rosey for a longer spell of settled Conditions, now we literally have low pressure anchored over us by Sunday.... In the words of the Queen.... One is not amused.. 

I just hope that this from the 6z gets watered down nearer the time, very unsettled conditions to the North of the country... Amazing to see how high pressure is bringing most of Europe fine summary conditions. 

gfs-0-138.png

gfs-0-168.png

Until that high does one from Greenland and the jet stream can shift north we're going to find it virtually impossible to get any long-lasting warmth/settled weather

• Like 2

Posted

Looking at the GEFS 6z mean as with other models there is a cooler showery trough for most of next week but beyond that there's a strong recovery to more summery conditions!

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Frosty. said:

Looking at the GEFS 6z mean as with other models there is a cooler showery trough for most of next week but beyond that there's a strong recovery to more summery conditions!

But that recovery is based on the demise of the Greenland heights and central Atlantic block, that’s what was modelled to happen beyond this coming weekend last week but the Greeny high and Atlantic P.I.C are proving just as difficult to eradicate as a Middle Eastern terror cell. 

Posted
2 minutes ago, Alderc said:

But that recovery is based on the demise of the Greenland heights and central Atlantic block, that’s what was modelled to happen beyond this coming weekend last week but the Greeny high and Atlantic P.I.C are proving just as difficult to eradicate as a Middle Eastern terror cell. 

Whatever the recovery is based on, there's a recovery!!..it's not all doom and gloom as the usual suspects describe!

• Like 4

Posted
13 minutes ago, Frosty. said:

Whatever the recovery is based on, there's a recovery!!..it's not all doom and gloom as the usual suspects describe!

To be honest Karl the ensembles you mention regarding a recovery pretty much tie in with exters thoughts... Although no clear signals are emerging from NWP moving forward, I'm surprised some are so quick to stamp a seal of its done and dusted negativety all over it. Like you say there are some signs of an improvement going forward,but when signals are said to be weak by the big boys and girls, it's foolhardy to make its in the bag predictions beyond a week! Cheers mate

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

The heavy rain event shown in the GFS 06z in the south east around the 8th June is remarkably similar to events that unfolded in the middle of June 2007 that lead to major flooding, let’s hope it disappears quickly.