Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - May and Early Summer!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
Just now, Milhouse said:

If this is to be the eventual outcome then it is some turnaround. Quite remarkable how we've gone from chilly northeasterlies to a plume in the space of 24-48 hours.

Remember early June 1975? image.thumb.png.40828c2ff967d9d65a558168ffe6fe18.png 

• Like 6

Posted

A perfect six and a thundery breakdown?

image.thumb.png.e9609fbd83792c7a53fbd35bee71bad8.pngimage.thumb.png.4d0852077526cec585af1b4d118381a0.png :yahoo:

• Like 6

Posted

What a run that was! Whatever the temps turn-out to be (25-28C will do me) a fundamental pattern-change looks more like occurring, as time goes on...Of course, it is only a model?

image.thumb.png.c909fef0b27eaecb73135b8ed6e1c4ee.pngimage.thumb.png.6f50bb62a8050880dc56af8f518d8a4f.png 

Anyone else see something rude?:oops:

Edited by Ed Stone
  • Like 6

Posted

Merely an observation but apart from the trough in mid Atlantic another key player in this evening's output from the gfs is the development of the upper trough over the eastern Mediterranean.

gfs-nhemi-z500_anom-7846000.thumb.png.be884a35de3d14777e19b4e47b7562e7.pnggfs-eur-t850_mslp_prcp6hr-7846000.thumb.png.78c71bf8385b5042eac77a489dd8f86b.pnggfs-eur-t2m_c_anom_5day-8008000.thumb.png.fcb6151d2e14d5f559bbf68cfbf643ef.png

Edited by knocker
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

The 12z is looking almost identical to early summer of last year. Continuous continental feed of warmth, with high instability incursions clipping the South and Southwest and a scandi/Euro blocking high. 

Fantastic weather it would be with crystal clear blue skies and low-ish humidity except the SW

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.
30 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

A perfect six and a thundery breakdown?

image.thumb.png.e9609fbd83792c7a53fbd35bee71bad8.pngimage.thumb.png.4d0852077526cec585af1b4d118381a0.png :yahoo:

Hey Pete, steady ya horses.... Let's get the heat in first

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)
2 minutes ago, Mattwolves said:

Hey Pete, steady ya horses.... Let's get the heat in first

Well we got the cold in so surely the heat will follow:oldgood:

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers
1 hour ago, Milhouse said:

If this is to be the eventual outcome then it is some turnaround. Quite remarkable how we've gone from chilly northeasterlies to a plume in the space of 24-48 hours.

Yup and it makes them comparisons to 2012 very premature! With heat building over Spain it only takes a very small change in positioning of high pressure to tap in that warmth. Given we are getting closer to the reliable timeframe some warmth is looking likely but how prolonged and just how warm / hot is still up for question given the contrasts between ECM and GFS.

• Like 6

Posted

The energy route around the amplifying ridge(s) to the east Med trough. Now what;s the trough south of Greenland going to do?

gfs-nhemi-z500_speed-7792000.thumb.png.6c6dabfee49f4cf30d9b40a5db9490e0.png

ah yes...now that looks familiar

gfs-nhemi-z500_anom-8008000.thumb.png.836314967c1b2b5b19127f933cfeab08.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted

And here endeth the lesson according to the FV3:

image.thumb.png.1b8de673fd373fe4dfe41cd7f94660cc.pngimage.thumb.png.85813b56b76fde9efaa0e4fbe59d5d62.png 

Once the cold air has been properly displaced, it's hard (though not impossible!) for it to reestablish itself...? Like @markyo, I'm conscious of a growing problem with water supplies, should dry weather predominate for too long...every silver-lining has a cloud?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)
6 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

And here endeth the lesson according to the FV3:

image.thumb.png.1b8de673fd373fe4dfe41cd7f94660cc.pngimage.thumb.png.85813b56b76fde9efaa0e4fbe59d5d62.png 

Once the cold air has been properly displaced, it's hard (though not impossible!) for it to reestablish itself...? Like @markyo, I'm conscious of a growing problem with water supplies, should dry weather predominate for too long...every silver-lining has a cloud?

The FV3 is a joke model, it's got cold bias built into it..having said that, so do I!!

• Like 1

Posted

And here are the long-awaited ensembles: 

image.thumb.png.d845a8254c52c1a973ece15058996452.pngimage.thumb.png.66f613930d5d009567a8b933a74d77fe.png 

Personally, I think the temperature ensemble is rather spiffing...? 

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny!

Some of these charts are looking stunning lads and lasses .  My weather station recorded 0.2C last night, which is colder than expected for December, let alone May!  Someone give the weather gods a reminder winter ended 2 months ago yeah? 

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

ECM steady at T 144, similar to UKMO 

image.thumb.jpg.84220c11cdd2bcf100a96a13e2388172.jpg

As we wait to see how this one pans out, how about this bad boy, P4 of the GEM ensembles at T 204:

image.thumb.jpg.35887d46cca462a986aa43d87788b7d9.jpg

Edit, that P4 from the GEM appears to be from 0z run, sorry, still pretty impressive though.

Edited by Mike Poole
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny!

Hope everyone has had a good (as possible) Monday.  These ensembles for my area (Cardiff) are looking very promising.  I think I speak for the majority that the prospect of warmer weather is welcomed with open arms.

Cardiff May.png

Edited by Earthshine
  • Like 6

Posted

ECM T192:

image.thumb.jpg.8b25f3ea9cbf4ec38181df7d49d174d7.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.3d97dca2c755e37d0f99e4c850837ac2.jpg

Liking the angle of attack here, with the warmer air further west it should ensure it hits the UK even with a bit of drift from west to east.

I thought it was only in winter we commented on every frame of the ECM,  but this does look to me like the switch from spring to summer this year, hence the interest.

Edited by Mike Poole
  • Like 8

Posted

I said all along that I was doubtful about the solution that the op runs kept showing with the cut off low moving into the near continent. The only thing that seems to have been certain over the past few days is the high pressure build next weekend- there was always every chance that the high would build in a more favourable position for warmth than many believed would happen.

It's by no means decided yet but things are certainly moving in the right direction- highly promising runs tonight from all the major models. A lot of serious heat looks like building over Spain in around a week's time which could put us in prime plume territory.

• Like 8

Posted

ECM T240:

image.thumb.jpg.996658a500f5fca4c3737039fb82e3ff.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.ef6e18dc68384ae9caeb5e70f298466a.jpg

OK so the heat is muted (850 chart) but the plot that looks like one of those bathtub ducks is perhaps more relevant here, possible high pressure reload on the back of this, the holy grail for heat is the self reloading high, you only have to look back to last year.  interesting run, and interesting suite of runs, the 12s, as a whole.  Welcome to summer. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Mattwolves said:

Awesome stuff folks... Place is buzzing a bit like winter time... Everyone pulling together like one big happy family.. I give you all a round of applause for your exciting and enthusiastic posts... Oh it will be interesting to see if anyweather has anything to say on the subject this evening....

Imagine what it'll be like (in here) should the incoming plume verify!:shok:

Edited by Ed Stone
  • Like 2