Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2019 - Moans, Ramps, Chat etc

Posted

Met have storms for my area later tomorrow, god I hope so, if its going to be record breaking heat then I want record breaking storms:drunk:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

The peak of the heat seems to be on the eastern side of London today. Heathrow did reach 31c at midday but has dropped back to 29c. City Airport (east London) is up at 32c. There’s a weather station in Essex (unsure which one) which is showing 33c. 

Posted
51 minutes ago, Stabilo19 said:

"Ancient Egyptians kept cool by using, among other things,

• Mud brick walls to keep houses cool
  • Windows for cross draft
  • Vents in the roof to help air circulate
  • Matting for window shades
  • Damp reeds and water pots for evaporated water to cool the air
  • Roofs to sleep on at night
  • Simple, light clothing, but clothing was also dictated by fashion and status
  • A headrest at night to improve air-circulation round the head
  • A wet blanket to sleep in
  • Tree-lined paths"

Yes, a very resourceful people, adapt to survive.

BTW, did they use AC or DC back then?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.
4 minutes ago, danm said:

The peak of the heat seems to be on the eastern side of London today. Heathrow did reach 31c at midday but has dropped back to 29c. City Airport (east London) is up at 32c. There’s a weather station in Essex (unsure which one) which is showing 33c. 

I've got 33c showing up for faversham, but somebody on the mod thread just quoted over 34c...any ideas to what is closer to the mark. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and hot.

Cambridge station (where I currently am) is sitting at a flat 30c. About 2c up on forecast with another 1-1/2 hours warming. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
26 minutes ago, Mattwolves said:

I've got 33c showing up for faversham, but somebody on the mod thread just quoted over 34c...any ideas to what is closer to the mark. 

32.0c here mate currently (British Standard max/min bulbs in a Stevenson Screen) so should be fairly accurate.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny
28 minutes ago, DAVID SNOW said:

Facepalm....  Please do some research! 

Anyway,  Heathrow update at 1:50 is showing 31 degrees. 

Posted
1 minute ago, Froze were the Days said:

32.0c here mate currently (British Standard max/min bulbs in a Stevenson Screen) so should be fairly accurate.

If you are recording 32c 70 miles west of Faversham it is quite conceivable that the current reading at Faversham of 34.2c is accurate. Yes, not an official record, but an accurate one nonetheless. 

I have been to Faversham multiple times and the station readings have always been within half a degree of my own equipment. 

Posted

I don't think the Faversham station's 34 is accurate. Be cautious of such anomalies.

Edited by Stabilo19

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.
2 hours ago, stainesbloke said:

You’re wasting your time. I’ve found that people are quite happy to spend hours on here moaning about brief periods of heat but do sod all to mitigate the effects on them/their homes. 

Trouble is, not everyone can afford to buy air conditioning units, fans and other equipment in this day and age.  In our case, we could afford it, but, in a bungalow with wheelchairs all over the shop, we wouldn't have anywhere to put them. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
13 minutes ago, matty007 said:

If you are recording 32c 70 miles west of Faversham it is quite conceivable that the current reading at Faversham of 34.2c is accurate. Yes, not an official record, but an accurate one nonetheless. 

I have been to Faversham multiple times and the station readings have always been within half a degree of my own equipment. 

I'm north of Faversham by about 25 miles as the crow flies on the Essex coast (north of Southend)...yeah wouldn't at all surprise me if that is correct for the reading there.

Edited by Froze were the Days

Posted
54 minutes ago, DAVID SNOW said:

Yes, a very resourceful people, adapt to survive.

I have only just seen this. Hahaha. 

Gave me a chuckle. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!

I really think we are going to see the all time UK high temperature tomorrow - obviously the amount of cloud has a say in the matter.

Belgium and the Netherlands have just done it! 

Edited by Mr Frost
  • Like 2

Posted
2 hours ago, Stabilo19 said:

Desert regions get remarkably cool at night, even in the summer. Huge sprawling concrete cities do not. That's the difference between 2019 and 10,000 BC.

Absolutely.  It isn't just the daytime maxima that cause problems; it's also the night-time minima.  Without realising it, our core temperature lowers slightly in order to be able to enter the restorative, deep phases of sleep, during which the body repairs cellular damage.  Mulltiple hot nights during which we cannot do so prevents that restorative process from happening, which puts additional physiological stress on the body.  This is why heart attacks increase in frequency in heatwaves; people who are vulnerable can see a deterioration in their health as  consequence of not being able to sleep properly at night, in addition to the increased workload on their systems during the day as their bodies try to lose excess heat.

Edited by chrisbell-nottheweatherman
  • Like 4

Posted
46 minutes ago, matty007 said:

Cambridge station (where I currently am) is sitting at a flat 30c. About 2c up on forecast with another 1-1/2 hours warming. 

Weatherquest's station on the campus of the University of East Anglia (which Dan Holey, one of their forecasters ("Staplehurst" here on Netweather) assures me is accurate, is on 31C.

Fortunately, the relative humidity is relatively low, at 48%, though that's still a touch higher than yesterday.

Edited by chrisbell-nottheweatherman

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
44 minutes ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

Trouble is, not everyone can afford to buy air conditioning units, fans and other equipment in this day and age.  In our case, we could afford it, but, in a bungalow with wheelchairs all over the shop, we wouldn't have anywhere to put them. 

A mobile unit that cools one room down brilliantly is £300 in Argos, where one can pay in instalments, I think? Not prohibitively expensive. They’re not huge, either. I appreciate that disabilities do make things more difficult. 

Edited by stainesbloke
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings
50 minutes ago, matty007 said:

It begs the question as to why there isn't an official station there anymore. Especially since it is the location of the all-time record. MetO says Shoeburyness is the closest station, which is miles away across the Thames Estuary.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Frost and snow. A quiet autumn day is also good.

The MetO must have a time machine....its 1540 now and their forecast update has a time stamp of 1603....no wonder their forecasts have become more accurate in recent years!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

And...it's time for some perspective!:oldgrin:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

33s on the board now, Cambridge and Wattisham:

image.thumb.jpg.25e8d8fc9858f7e7714c91d5e5544e5b.jpg

Interesting, as I picked Cambridge as my spot for tomorrow in the guess the maximum thread.

• Like 2

Posted

Don't think London will reach 34 as UKMO forecast, but still a very nice day at 32 C with ~18 C at 850hpa.

Tomorrow we will see warmer uppers moving in around 22 C and a change in wind direction from a WSWly to SEly. IMO we will see 37 in most places then 38-39 in a hot spot that will break the UK record.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.

Some uncertainty over the weekend conditions from the Met,, for the midlands it now looks like downpours to the NE of the region, and drier brighter conditions to the W/SW... perhaps not so bad after all. 

Edited by Mattwolves