Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2019 - Moans, Ramps, Chat etc

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

just had the best weekend of the summer so far..mostly sunny temps 25-26c ...fortunately missed all the big storms that skirted around the city to the north and south..otherwise it would have been another wet weekend

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

This summer is plumbing the depths of absolute tedium once again. One week in June where we actually saw some 'weather' and that has been our lot so far. Where are the storms? ECM ends with a dry furnace, which really wouldn't surprise me were it to come off- we just can't get any deeply unstable weather events these days.

Ahhh well, circa 4 weeks left until we hit the a*se end of summer.

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

This summer is plumbing the depths of absolute tedium once again. One week in June where we actually saw some 'weather' and that has been our lot so far. Where are the storms? ECM ends with a dry furnace, which really wouldn't surprise me were it to come off- we just can't get any deeply unstable weather events these days.

I'm starting to wonder whether its down to solar minimum and the colder Atlantic over recent years, one we start seeing changes I believe the jet stream will wake up again I could be completely wrong as i'm no expert but its just what I believe is responsible 

Posted

Better day , sunny from the word go,  but totally expected being a working day and stuck in work   grrrrrr  , few cumulus bubbling in the afternoon blocking the sun at times , but feeling warm

Probably cool and damp again by next weekend  , I am off work too 1st week of August, so expect a rubbish week then 

Posted
37 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

Pig sick now of lack of thunder last few years  we had a few rumbles on two different days so far in 2019 ,   and just one semi-decent afternoon storm in July 2018,   but thats the lot , pathetic compared to the last few decades .   Have just give up now , I dont even bother checking , if any happen they happen , but not holding my breath ever again  . 

I do believe low solar activity is to blame not helped by a colder Atlantic.  but not 100% sure on that   .   I do believe storms will get frequent again in the uk summers , but only in the next large solar peak ,  Could be a wait 

Posted
1 hour ago, CreweCold said:

Would have to agree, from a true weather enthusiast also.

Posted
8 hours ago, IanR said:

Pig sick now of lack of thunder last few years  we had a few rumbles on two different days so far in 2019 ,   and just one semi-decent afternoon storm in July 2018,   but thats the lot , pathetic compared to the last few decades .   Have just give up now , I dont even bother checking , if any happen they happen , but not holding my breath ever again  . 

I do believe low solar activity is to blame not helped by a colder Atlantic.  but not 100% sure on that   .   I do believe storms will get frequent again in the uk summers , but only in the next large solar peak ,  Could be a wait 

After 2020 maybe. I think 2016-18 wasn’t bad for storms, but this year has been poor so far. There’s still time though. August could still surprise us.

Posted

Manchester Summer Indices 

1954 143
1907 147
1956 155
1912 156
1924 158
2012 164
2008 168
1987 169
1946 170
1909 171
1931 173
1978 173
1980 173
1920 174
1923 174
2007 174
1927 175
1948 176
1938 177
1922 178
2011 179
1985 180
1958 184
1972 185
2019 185 (up to 15th July)
1916 188
1986 189
1965 189
2016 189
1910 190
1936 190
1988 191
2010 191
1966 192
1998 192
2017 192
1953 193
1963 194
1993 194
2009 194 

Posted

It's hard to complain about the weather this July as it's been very very pleasant. I tend to judge summers by heat and storms though so in that sense it's not been great. Absolutely no storms whatsoever anywhere near my location and one day of real heat would mark this summer as being pretty poor - however, if that cheeky plume comes off next week and brings an actual significant thundery breakdown, it will elevate it massively. 

In terms of usable weather though, it's been pretty great since that appalling first bit of June.

• Like 3

Posted
12 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

A dry St Swithin's 

It was a lovely day in Manchester yesterday, actually felt warmer than the air temperature as well- light winds and the sun felt very strong in the afternoon.

Posted

With mid-after temps here ranging from 23c to 26c in the last 3 weeks and mostly sunny on most days it's been more than pleasant here

Posted

I see poor spring and summer weather in the North and Scotland gets a mention in A.G. Barr's profits warning.

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/money/4490037/irn-bru-ag-barr-profit-collapse-sugar/

It's been quite decent here in Yorkshire the last couple of weeks but a few days above 25C would be welcome. There's only been one so far this year.

Edited by Aleman

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts
1 hour ago, Aleman said:

I see poor spring and summer weather in the North and Scotland gets a mention in A.G. Barr's profits warning.

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/money/4490037/irn-bru-ag-barr-profit-collapse-sugar/

It's been quite decent here in Yorkshire the last couple of weeks but a few days above 25C would be welcome. There's only been one so far this year.

Here in West yorks in the pennines although it has been quite pleasant with some good spells of sunshine we have only had only one day at 23 deg and just a handful of others at 20 and 21 deg,quite remarkable even by todays standards.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
5 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

After 2020 maybe. I think 2016-18 wasn’t bad for storms, but this year has been poor so far. There’s still time though. August could still surprise us.

2018 spring/summer was rubbish for convective storms as it was dominated so much by high pressure...so you can take that off the list as well!

• Like 1

Posted
29 minutes ago, hillbilly said:

Here in West yorks in the pennines although it has been quite pleasant with some good spells of sunshine we have only had only one day at 23 deg and just a handful of others at 20 and 21 deg,quite remarkable even by todays standards.

I'm amazed by how cool it is there compared to the Manchester area. Quite a number of days have exceeded 23C and virtually every day over the past week or two has reached 20C.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
5 hours ago, Weather-history said:

Manchester Summer Indices 

1954 143
1907 147
1956 155
1912 156
1924 158
2012 164
2008 168
1987 169
1946 170
1909 171
1931 173
1978 173
1980 173
1920 174
1923 174
2007 174
1927 175
1948 176
1938 177
1922 178
2011 179
1985 180
1958 184
1972 185
2019 185 (up to 15th July)
1916 188
1986 189
1965 189
2016 189
1910 190
1936 190
1988 191
2010 191
1966 192
1998 192
2017 192
1953 193
1963 194
1993 194
2009 194 

What were the end of summer figures for those 2007 onward years.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).
2 hours ago, Froze were the Days said:

2018 spring/summer was rubbish for convective storms as it was dominated so much by high pressure...so you can take that off the list as well!

There was more thunder in June and July 2018 here, we had two days each month here, nothing so far this summer at all.

Posted

Mostly sunny and 25c here at mid-after

Making the most of it as appears to be the last day of the 3-week warm and dry spell. Showers and rain forecast for next few days and into w/e.

Posted
2 hours ago, Thundershine said:

There was more thunder in June and July 2018 here, we had two days each month here, nothing so far this summer at all.

Agreed - Our last storm was April 2018.

Posted

Got my 25C+ day. Today equalled our high for the year at 26.5C. Sweat was dripping off my chin when I mowed the lawn and I needed a drink break, but it needed cutting and might rain tomorrow. We're now running above average for July but I'd like to know how Topcliffe got down to 6.6C and 7.7C the last two nights.

https://www.ogimet.com/cgi-bin/gsynres?lang=en&ind=03265&ano=2019&mes=7&day=16&hora=15&min=0&ndays=30

As an aside, I've read many online bemoaning the lack of bees. Well, they were a pain in the backside today because I do try to avoid mowing them all up. I had 100s to deal with. The secret? I've got a ridiculous amount of clover in my lawn this year and I've noticed a few other lawns in the vacinity have lots as well. We have loads and loads of honey bees and red-tail bees visiting as a result, with a modest scattering of various others. If you want bees, stop putting stuff on your lawn that kills clover!

Another aside, it must be getting close to flying ant day - a hot, sticky day towards the end of July. Ants are going crazy all over the terrace and the sparrows and blackbirds are starting to act a bit crazy in a feeding frenzy where they get hyper on the formic acid from the ants they've eaten . This usually happens just before all the new queens emerge from nests and fly away like a plague. You sometimes see "drunk" birds behaving oddly in flight - swooping crazily and flying into things.

https://www.essexlive.news/news/essex-news/flying-ant-day-2019-you-3098360

Edited by Aleman
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

27c and sunny in London, perfect summer weather. 

Posted
6 hours ago, summer blizzard said:

What were the end of summer figures for those 2007 onward years.

I thought these were the end of summer figures.

Posted
1 hour ago, Aleman said:

Got my 25C+ day. Today equalled our high for the year at 26.5C. Sweat was dripping off my chin when I mowed the lawn and I needed a drink break, but it needed cutting and might rain tomorrow. We're now running above average for July but I'd like to know how Topcliffe got down to 6.6C and 7.7C the last two nights.

https://www.ogimet.com/cgi-bin/gsynres?lang=en&ind=03265&ano=2019&mes=7&day=16&hora=15&min=0&ndays=30

As an aside, I've read many online bemoaning the lack of bees. Well, they were a pain in the backside today because I do try to avoid mowing them all up. I had 100s to deal with. The secret? I've got a ridiculous amount of clover in my lawn this year and I've noticed a few other lawns in the vacinity have lots as well. We have loads and loads of honey bees and red-tail bees visiting as a result, with a modest scattering of various others. If you want bees, stop putting stuff on your lawn that kills clover!

Another aside, it must be getting close to flying ant day - a hot, sticky day towards the end of July. Ants are going crazy all over the terrace and the sparrows and blackbirds are starting to act a bit crazy in a feeding frenzy where they get hyper on the formic acid from the ants they've eaten . This usually happens just before all the new queens emerge from nests and fly away like a plague. You sometimes see "drunk" birds behaving oddly in flight - swooping crazily and flying into things.

https://www.essexlive.news/news/essex-news/flying-ant-day-2019-you-3098360

Where in Yorkshire are you? Although its been very pleasant here this afternoon we got 21 deg,quite a way from your figure and the warmest place in the North is almost always Doncaster.