Jump to content

Summer 2019 - Moans, Ramps, Chat etc


Recommended Posts

Loving this May so far,my hayfever has never been so good at this time of year and no cost of runing the aircon yet,looking good into the start of June as well,love it?

Edited by markyo
  • Like 5
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The met office have said no overnight records were broken, but they did mention this interesting phenomenon, a "heat burst"  

Worth remembering: We broke the July record today by 1.4C. That's a big margin!! 

We were so close!

Posted Images

 

16 minutes ago, weatherguru14 said:

I don't know why some people expect summers like last year to be the norm. They ain't.

They don’t. They just don’t expect it to be rubbish. I haven’t seen anyone who expects a summer like last year to be the norm.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, MP-R said:

 

They don’t. They just don’t expect it to be rubbish. I haven’t seen anyone who expects a summer like last year to be the norm.

well I have read a few comparing it elsewhere.. Its always well 2001 was like this yet 2006 was like that. With the UK summers. You never know what's gonna happen. You get an inkling by how the weather is at the start of the summer.. If it doesn't settle down early on..IE the jet is to active. and the weather remains always changing. there is little chance of a prolonged settled spell..That gives the climate a chance to slowly warm up. If we get a poor June we will get a poor summer. Obviously we will get hot spells. But intermixed with garbage.. for instance 12/13c in mid summer. which we have seen in recent years..

Just going back to my original opinion.this is gonna be your typical English summer. which really are normally rubbish.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I could be wrong, but I do remember seeing a lot of long range forecasts predicting a summer potentially rivalling 2018, if not even more extreme and a front-loaded summer. That's looking under-threat now and the clock is ticking.

 

Only 10 more months until I can look forward to summer and warm sunny days again.

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, weatherguru14 said:

well I have read a few comparing it elsewhere.. Its always well 2001 was like this yet 2006 was like that. With the UK summers. You never know what's gonna happen. You get an inkling by how the weather is at the start of the summer.. If it doesn't settle down early on..IE the jet is to active. and the weather remains always changing. there is little chance of a prolonged settled spell..That gives the climate a chance to slowly warm up. If we get a poor June we will get a poor summer. Obviously we will get hot spells. But intermixed with garbage.. for instance 12/13c in mid summer. which we have seen in recent years..

Just going back to my original opinion.this is gonna be your typical English summer. which really are normally rubbish.

Yes many posts compare but that is all. It’s all anecdotal. 

A poor June also doesn’t mean a poor rest of summer.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Only hope I can give..Is August and September were rubbish last year. And to me September is warmer than May. And next week doesn't look to bad. Just today  feels like November than the second week in May.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Azazel said:

I could be wrong, but I do remember seeing a lot of long range forecasts predicting a summer potentially rivalling 2018, if not even more extreme and a front-loaded summer. That's looking under-threat now and the clock is ticking.

 

Only 10 more months until I can look forward to summer and warm sunny days again.

Point me to these forecasts because I haven't seen a single one that has said that.

So overdramatic. Words fail me when these sorts of comments are made. Does anybody take each day as it comes?

The weather hasn't even been that bad! The amount of work I have managed to do in the garden this Spring is more than last year due to the lack of rain during daylight hours. Just 29 rain days for March and April combined, compared to 40 last year. And, both March and April sunshine hours are way above last years as well.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

Point me to these forecasts because I haven't seen a single one that has said that.

So overdramatic. Words fail me when these sorts of comments are made. Does anybody take each day as it comes?

The weather hasn't even been that bad! The amount of work I have managed to do in the garden this Spring is more than last year due to the lack of rain during daylight hours. Just 29 rain days for March and April combined, compared to 40 last year. And, both March and April sunshine hours are way above last years as well.

for you south coast maybe not, but here been dreadful,

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

for you south coast maybe not, but here been dreadful,

Oh no it’s been dreadful here too but some people enjoy 10-12 degrees and showery/frontal rain with a nagging breeze.

When I’m on the PC tomorrow I’ll dig out the posts/forecasts.

Am I being over dramatic? Possibly, but I absolutely loathe this cool crappy weather at this time of year the same way coldies loathe mild crappy weather at the height of winter - the difference is, people on here seem a lot more sympathetic to the coldies.

if come winter, I go into either the model thread or the winter moans thread and cheerlead mild Atlantic driven dross laughing at the coldies expense, I’ll probably get banned.

doesnt seem to work the other way though for some reason?

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Azazel said:

Oh no it’s been dreadful here too but some people enjoy 10-12 degrees and showery/frontal rain with a nagging breeze.

When I’m on the PC tomorrow I’ll dig out the posts/forecasts.

Am I being over dramatic? Possibly, but I absolutely loathe this cool crappy weather at this time of year the same way coldies loathe mild crappy weather at the height of winter - the difference is, people on here seem a lot more sympathetic to the coldies.

if come winter, I go into either the model thread or the winter moans thread and cheerlead mild Atlantic driven dross laughing at the coldies expense, I’ll probably get banned.

doesnt seem to work the other way though for some reason?

that's the weather we're having now, mild crappy Atlantic January weather, agree hate it at any time of the year

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, MP-R said:

 

They don’t. They just don’t expect it to be rubbish. I haven’t seen anyone who expects a summer like last year to be the norm.

Exactly. Nobody expects the UK to suddenly transform into the Mediterranean. It is unusual for the weather to go from one extreme one year, to the very opposite in the very next. From one of the warmest Mays on record to possibly the coldest. That has to be pretty unusual within a short space of time.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, weatherguru14 said:

well I have read a few comparing it elsewhere.. Its always well 2001 was like this yet 2006 was like that. With the UK summers. You never know what's gonna happen. You get an inkling by how the weather is at the start of the summer.. If it doesn't settle down early on..IE the jet is to active. and the weather remains always changing. there is little chance of a prolonged settled spell..That gives the climate a chance to slowly warm up. If we get a poor June we will get a poor summer. Obviously we will get hot spells. But intermixed with garbage.. for instance 12/13c in mid summer. which we have seen in recent years..

 Just going back to my original opinion.this is gonna be your typical English summer. which really are normally rubbish.

Average summers here aren't that bad. Average high of 21°C with 200 hours of sun a month and 50mm of rain. Highs of 12 are very unusual here in July+August. This May weather though is about 8°C below average here (avg max is 16.4°C for May) which is pretty unprecedented - though we still have 2/3 of the month to go, so it will be very unlikely to end that way.

Link to post
Share on other sites

So following on from the last post, do we think May will be the first month in over a year to be below average? It’s a close call for me, more settled weather coming up but no major temperature boost to counteract what we’ve had so far (-1.2c anomaly). It’s a battle between quantity and “quality” (even though it’s been dross ?). If I had to guess right now I’d say we’re gonna finish 0-0.5c above. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Azazel said:

Oh no it’s been dreadful here too but some people enjoy 10-12 degrees and showery/frontal rain with a nagging breeze.

When I’m on the PC tomorrow I’ll dig out the posts/forecasts.

Am I being over dramatic? Possibly, but I absolutely loathe this cool crappy weather at this time of year the same way coldies loathe mild crappy weather at the height of winter - the difference is, people on here seem a lot more sympathetic to the coldies.

if come winter, I go into either the model thread or the winter moans thread and cheerlead mild Atlantic driven dross laughing at the coldies expense, I’ll probably get banned.

doesnt seem to work the other way though for some reason?

More exaggerations. And please don't start turning it in to a mild vs cold preference argument.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

More exaggerations. And please don't start turning it in to a mild vs cold preference argument.

But it’s true. 

If I spent the winter complaining it’s ‘too cold’ or constantly whinging that I don’t like snow, the people who enjoy cold, would laugh at me and tell me to suck it up buttercup. Last March I asked in the model thread if there were any signs of spring and got absolutely slaughtered by the cold brigade.

there are people in this very thread ‘actively revelling’ in the fact it’s been 12 degrees and wet and complaining when it gets above 15 degrees because it’s too hot, the landscape has become irredeemably arid and their weird ass bodies can’t regulate temperature properly.

I suspect they’re partially doing it to get a rise out of people who enjoy warm/hot weather.

 

its a weird double standard exclusive to netweather.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Azazel said:

But it’s true. 

If I spent the winter complaining it’s ‘too cold’ or constantly whinging that I don’t like snow, the people who enjoy cold, would laugh at me and tell me to suck it up buttercup. Last March I asked in the model thread if there were any signs of spring and got absolutely slaughtered by the cold brigade.

there are people in this very thread ‘actively revelling’ in the fact it’s been 12 degrees and wet and complaining when it gets above 15 degrees because it’s too hot, the landscape has become irredeemably arid and their weird ass bodies can’t regulate temperature properly.

I suspect they’re partially doing it to get a rise out of people who enjoy warm/hot weather.

 

its a weird double standard exclusive to netweather.

Those who actively seek to get attention or a bite by posting in that way are/will be monitored, that goes for whichever bias they lean towards. If you feel a post is doing that intentionally, hit the report button and a moderator will deal with it.

What we don't need is people from both camps doing it to try and score points.

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

Those who actively seek to get attention or a bite by posting in that way are/will be monitored, that goes for whichever bias they lean towards. If you feel a post is doing that intentionally, hit the report button and a moderator will deal with it.

What we don't need is people from both camps doing it to try and score points.

 

Noted.

One question I wanted to ask actually - do we have a ‘hunt for warmth/heat’ thread come summertime on here? I might be wrong but I don’t remember seeing one.

We have a hunt for cold thread during winter so if we don’t, can we have one? It would probably make me less angsty- I just get very depressed looking at charts with green snot over the U.K. for days on end.

  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Like football has been recently, we just don’t know what is going to happen! 

Ive seen poor mays lead to a decent flaming June. I didn’t think last summer would be a record breaker, given the freezing March that we had. The change was so sudden. 

I do think we will see a more changeable summer, especially compared to last one. A few warm spells here and there throughout June and July. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, markyo said:

Loving this May so far,my hayfever has never been so good at this time of year and no cost of runing the aircon yet,looking good into the start of June as well,love it?

Not to be funny or anything, as we all have different prefereces. But what temperature do you generally need to use Air Conditioning? I live in a north facing apartment and so far indoor temps are about 15°C without heat and I get it to about 18°C - with central heating with the current temperatures. I am quite warm/heat tolerant myself, so whenever I go abroad (love the Mediterranean climates) I often argue to turnoff the AC when the person I'm with always wants it on! It's only been up to 26°C in my apartment last July, so no AC required for me, but I know south facing rooms can get hot even with cool temps and a lot of sun.

Edited by Thundershine
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Thundershine said:

Average summers here aren't that bad. Average high of 21°C with 200 hours of sun a month and 50mm of rain. Highs of 12 are very unusual here in July+August. This May weather though is about 8°C below average here (avg max is 16.4°C for May) which is pretty unprecedented - though we still have 2/3 of the month to go, so it will be very unlikely to end that way.

I think it was  July 2015.. It was terribly cold. in about the  3rd week. And I know what the average says.. But that's taken over a 20 year period. We have 4 hot summers in 12 years.. Then it gets averaged out over that length of time.

I get into this debate in most years on here. Just because May is 16.4 over all. You can have  10 days on 18c and the rest could be garbage. So far May as been poor this year.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Azazel said:

I could be wrong, but I do remember seeing a lot of long range forecasts predicting a summer potentially rivalling 2018, if not even more extreme and a front-loaded summer. That's looking under-threat now and the clock is ticking.

 

Only 10 more months until I can look forward to summer and warm sunny days again.

Summer is a very, VERY long time in meteorological terms.  To write off an entire season based on flawed weather models is downright ludicrous.  Come on people, let it start at least! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, weatherguru14 said:

well I have read a few comparing it elsewhere.. Its always well 2001 was like this yet 2006 was like that. With the UK summers. You never know what's gonna happen. You get an inkling by how the weather is at the start of the summer.. If it doesn't settle down early on..IE the jet is to active. and the weather remains always changing. there is little chance of a prolonged settled spell..That gives the climate a chance to slowly warm up. If we get a poor June we will get a poor summer. Obviously we will get hot spells. But intermixed with garbage.. for instance 12/13c in mid summer. which we have seen in recent years..

Just going back to my original opinion.this is gonna be your typical English summer. which really are normally rubbish.

Well we won't know for sure until September comes around. It's still a long way off in weather terms, even July is. Though for my own preference is I don't like heat at all & would like a cool Summer but if it doesn't happen there's nowt I can do - but the Moors near here could do with a normal Summer instead of a lot of heat & bone dry plus idiots going up there with bbq's making things worse. If it's often cool & showery that's not gonna happen.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, weatherguru14 said:

I think it was  July 2015.. It was terribly cold. in about the  3rd week. And I know what the average says.. But that's taken over a 20 year period. We have 4 hot summers in 12 years.. Then it gets averaged out over that length of time.

I get into this debate in most years on here. Just because May is 16.4 over all. You can have  10 days on 18c and the rest could be garbage. So far May as been poor this year.

Yeah, I'm aware averages are made up of colder and warmer months. In my records since 2007 I've seen only one truly awful May (2015), and two that started awful but improved in the second half (2010, 2012). In fact in the last 12 years May has done better than other months, so perhaps this cold wet one was "overdue". Even so this May is vastly more below average than any of the other poor ones in my records so far. Not going to complain though, one expects it to happen every now and again, just like June 2012. Hopefully it won't be happening again for 50 years.

Edited by Thundershine
Link to post
Share on other sites

I couldn't possibly write off summer just yet, but one thing I've noticed so far is how difficult short term weather has been to forecast. Noting especially this week at how much change has come at such short notice especially in terms of precipitation.

I've been getting annoyed at the dry forecast to be showing and then changing at last minute to show what's actually happening, just can't seem to shake this miserable wet weather from around the Midlands/ east Midlands.

We do have huge amounts of time for things to improve and I certainly dont expect a repeat from last year but I really hope for better weather than what we currently have.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Thundershine said:

Not to be funny or anything, as we all have different prefereces. But what temperature do you generally need to use Air Conditioning? I live in a north facing apartment and so far indoor temps are about 15°C without heat and I get it to about 18°C - with central heating with the current temperatures. I am quite warm/heat tolerant myself, so whenever I go abroad (love the Mediterranean climates) I often argue to turnoff the AC when the person I'm with always wants it on! It's only been up to 26°C in my apartment last July, so no AC required for me, but I know south facing rooms can get hot even with cool temps and a lot of sun.

Use the aircon in the bedroom only. 20c is the turn on temp,anything over that and i struggle to be comfortable sleeping even with fans,can't have windows open due to traffic, Hence summer can be very expensive for me,this May is proving very good for me money wise! Long may it continue?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...