Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2019 - Moans, Ramps, Chat etc

Posted

I've never understood why some people wish for 'extreme' heat - what's so good about sweating as soon as you move, a baking car, a headache due to oppressive heat and humidity, not being able to sleep at night, and so on?

21C is perfect for me. Why do the temps need to be 28C or above? What's the benefit? It's not like winter where people understandably want really cold temps and suitable precipitation to get a good fall of long-lasting snow.

But, hell, we're all different .........

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).
2 minutes ago, Buzz said:

I've never understood why some people wish for 'extreme' heat - what's so good about sweating as soon as you move, a baking car, a headache due to oppressive heat and humidity, not being able to sleep at night, and so on?

21C is perfect for me. Why do the temps need to be 28C or above? What's the benefit? It's not like winter where people understandably want really cold temps and suitable precipitation to get a good fall of long-lasting snow.

That's right, because we're all different and enjoy different things. I don't understand people who like snow and all the trouble it brings, but I don't let what other people like bother me - that's none of my business. Live and let live, please. I for one don't feel heat as much as other people either so do take that into consideration as well. England has very cool summers for my liking, and I don't feel 30 degrees as hot.

Edited by Thundershine
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: storms - of the severe kind

Grab a hold of some of those posting in the MAD thread. They can't believe a flow from the north-sea would suppress temperatures. You only have to go back 12 months. In the E to NE flow, the west got the 30+c heat - 18c on east coasts

When the wind switches back to SW-W or NW - the east will become hottest. It happened just last year !!

The Uk is a friggin Island !! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
2 minutes ago, stevofunnelcl said:

Grab a hold of some of those posting in the MAD thread. They can't believe a flow from the north-sea would suppress temperatures. You only have to go back 12 months. In the E to NE flow, the west got the 30+c heat - 18c on east coasts

When the wind switches back to SW-W or NW - the east will become hottest. It happened just last year !!

The Uk is a friggin Island !! 

Aye remember it, GFS modeling 14 degrees here on Tues, that cold north sea, this would be much hotter 2 months later

Posted

It is beginning to remind me of the failed heatwave of late August 2008, anyone remember that? 15°C 850hpa temps and we had thick cloud with highs of 19°C. So yeah it can go that wrong on our little Island.

Edited by Thundershine

Posted
28 minutes ago, Buzz said:

We’re on a weather forum for weather enthusiasts.

Would be a bit boring if we came on here discussing our love for the benign wouldn’t it?

You also answered your own question. 28 degrees doesn’t give me any of those symptoms and some of us are able to cope, function and enjoy those conditions.

It’s exactly the same as people wishing for extreme cold in the wintertime and I don’t begrudge them in the slightest. You won’t see any cold lovers in here turn their noses up at more extreme charts- why on earth would they?

I hope the weather doesn’t get too hot for you next week incase you burst into flames.

• Like 2

Posted

Apparently ECM showing winds gusting to 50mph in the south west later in the week. 

Fascinating from a weather enthusiast’s point of view but utterly bizarre and revolting. That’s storm force.

• Like 1

Posted

I think people saying 'oh well it'll still be nice if it's mid-20s' are missing the point.

As others have said, we're weather enthusiasts on here so will be interested in extremes. In the UK summer, that's 30+C depending on your location.

My employer doesn't understand the benefits of A/C so it gets to 26-28C inside even when it's 'only' mid-20sC outside. That for me is very unpleasant... and with no interesting weather either.

I'd accept it being hot inside (and even hotter) if it meant something interesting was happening with the weather.

Similarly, it annoys me in winter when there's 1cm of snow and it causes disruption. I'd rather it be 20cm of snow - there'd be more disruption, but at least it'd be interesting weather-wise.

So the apparent downgrading of the forthcoming plume is, for me, disappointing.

Edited by h2005__uk__
  • Like 2

Posted

A strong surface easterly wind later this coming week keeping the temps lower and I suppose the ground temps are not warm after what we`ve endured so far this month which has been relentless for copious amounts of cool rains,may well be all factoring in the lower temps.

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny days and balmy evenings.
40 minutes ago, Snowyowl9 said:

A strong surface easterly wind later this coming week keeping the temps lower and I suppose the ground temps are not warm after what we`ve endured so far this month which has been relentless for copious amounts of cool rains,may well be all factoring in the lower temps.

Countryfile forecast shows the high toppling over from the northeast and seriously suppressing the temps. Glastonbury looks like THE hottest place to be.. lucky for them

Posted

I would not worry about the low temperature forecasts. I remember an easterly straight off the north sea in May 2008, 10th of May it was, and in Lincoln (where I lived) it still reached 25C with 850 temps much lower than those next week, in clear skies. If it is sunny, we'll be in the 30's across the country, 100%. 

• Like 1

Posted

I was lambasted this morning for calling the downgrade in temps mon to weds. I feel vindicated now.Gone are the high temps ,just cloudy and windy max now 24 up to weds on london. Again we now chase 5 plus days onwards. 

Edited by Rascals Revenge
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and hot.
Just now, evans1892 said:

Great uppers again, hopefully we will see some upgrades to the surface temperatures in the next 24 hours...

Where I am right now at this moment in time to say it is 'fresh' would be an understatement! It's actually quite nippy! 

I am in Haverhill, Suffolk. 25c was on the cards a few days ago but today it has been about 20c, and cloudy. You can feel that the plume is coming though, getting opressive.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
4 minutes ago, matty007 said:

I am in Haverhill, Suffolk. 25c was on the cards a few days ago but today it has been about 20c, and cloudy. You can feel that the plume is coming though, getting opressive.

That’s odd - we got 24c here in Cambridge.

if we don’t see a couple of really hot days Friday and Saturday this will be the most disappointing weather event I can remember. Potential was there to smash records, and due to a slight bit of bad luck we might miss out. Uppers north of 20c very rarely visit these shores.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.
9 minutes ago, evans1892 said:

Great uppers again, hopefully we will see some upgrades to the surface temperatures in the next 24 hours...

Where I am right now at this moment in time to say it is 'fresh' would be an understatement! It's actually quite nippy! 

You say upgrades... But tomorrows expected highs in sunny spells in East Anglia is up to 28c...the air coming in even tomorrow is significantly warmer.. Expect some really decent maximums come later next week. 

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, matty007 said:

No, it certianly wasn't 24c here. It may have touched 21c for a short while but that's about it. Bear in mind that Cambridge is more congested and might have had slightly less cloud.

I couldn't agree more. Unless someone can tell me otherwise, I think this has the potential to be the most potent plume the UK has ever witnessed. Certainly on upper air temps alone. Many charts are still showing the 25c isothern making it to us, and nearly all, the 20c. I know for a fact the 25c isothern has never touched the UK, not even close. The 20c? Not sure, but doubt it. Now obviosuly upper air temps aren't everything and there are many factors, wind speed/direction, soil temps, sunshine amount etc etc.

But you have to say that if this plume does not threaten the June record then it has been spectacularly underwhelming and a massive underperformer. You should be hitting mid thirties at the very least.

I dare say that if this is the case, we may wait for a long long time before we see upper air like this again.

We've had the 20C isotherm in a few times, I believe in 2003 and possibly more recently than that.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
7 minutes ago, evans1892 said:

We've had the 20C isotherm in a few times, I believe in 2003 and possibly more recently than that.

Yep August 2003. 1st July 2015 too, probably a couple of other examples.

• Like 3

Posted

FWIW it is very cool here now I am about a mile away from the coast, if this easterly flow does continue it will really keep the temps down, especially up here anyway.

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, evans1892 said:

FWIW it is very cool here now I am about a mile away from the coast, if this easterly flow does continue it will really keep the temps down, especially up here anyway.

Its been coolish, very windy and overcast in land too. Non of the models saw this.

Posted

My predictions of temps in South Yorks for the week ahead:

Monday: 25

Tuesday: 25

Wednesday: 26

Thursday: 30

Friday: 35

Saturday: 35

Record going to be smashed.

Posted

Manchester Summer Indices 

1954 143
1907 147
2019 153 (up to 23rd June)
1956 155
1912 156
1924 158
2012 164
2008 168
1987 169
1946 170
1909 171
1931 173
1978 173
1980 173
1920 174
1923 174
2007 174
1927 175
1948 176
1938 177
1922 178
2011 179
1985 180 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

Certainly no records going in South Yorkshire this week,Saturday looks the hottest at 24c,main issue will be humidity.