Jump to content

Summer 2019 - Moans, Ramps, Chat etc


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The met office have said no overnight records were broken, but they did mention this interesting phenomenon, a "heat burst"  

Worth remembering: We broke the July record today by 1.4C. That's a big margin!! 

We were so close!

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, Stonethecrows said:

Mother nature is a delicate animal, it seems like when one season is out of kilter, the others often struggle. Last years decent summer followed a proper winter so it shouldn't be a surprise we are struggling now after such a terrible(as in no cold or snow) winter just gone. Be interesting to know if this has happened a lot historically or just a coincidence.

1988 was the same.

A mild winter 1987/88, with little or no snow, followed by a dreadful summer. July that year was awful.

1998 followed a very mild winter 97/98, and the summer that year was poor. 98/99 was mild and boring. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Stonethecrows said:

Mother nature is a delicate animal, it seems like when one season is out of kilter, the others often struggle. Last years decent summer followed a proper winter so it shouldn't be a surprise we are struggling now after such a terrible(as in no cold or snow) winter just gone. Be interesting to know if this has happened a lot historically or just a coincidence.

Probably coincidence. 2012 was a poor Summer but the following Winter was a cold one. Overall it was a colder Winter than 2017/18 which brought us those two beasts in late February & March (not technically Winter). In 2013 we didn't have to wait as long for the cold to arrive (arriving about 5 weeks earlier in mid January). The following Summer was quite hot especially July but the next Winter was about as poor as you could get for cold/snow. So I think coincidence.

Edited by Frost HoIIow
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

1988 was the same.

A mild winter 1987/88, with little or no snow, followed by a dreadful summer. July that year was awful.

1998 followed a very mild winter 97/98, and the summer that year was poor. 98/99 was mild and boring. 

I hope next winter is not reminiscent of 1988/89!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Have to say though that there was some fairly knowledgeable posters on here who were going for an unsettled start to Summer a while back but they got dismissed before it even happened - mostly because it wasn't what most in here want to see in Summer. I think last Summer skewed things a tad. I don't mind an unsettled Summer but I won't rain on anyone's parade *mind the pun*.

Unsettled yes but this start to summer is record breaking! Several days 10c below average, sun hours well below average and what  about the rain and flooding! I repeat no one called this back in may.

Like I said something must be missing , or the pros and other background signal experts misunderstood what was being shown

fwiw  in the cet thread I went for above average rain, and an above average temperature, so a bust for me.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

Since what year do you reckon this started? It must have been the 1980s for Poland also.

TBH its difficult to know exactly when things began to change. Another trend is Winteg arriving later.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DAVID SNOW said:

Unsettled yes but this start to summer is record breaking! Several days 10c below average, sun hours well below average and what  about the rain and flooding! I repeat no one called this back in may.

Like I said something must be missing , or the pros and other background signal experts misunderstood what was being shown

fwiw  in the cet thread I went for above average rain, and an above average temperature, so a bust for me.

No one could have predicted how wet it's been your right there but no one predicted that anyway. Like I said there was a few people here who said this wasn't going to be a good start to Summer & it's come true but they got dismissed because of how hot last Summer was, it skewed opinions. I recall a similar thing the Winter after Dec 2010 - people in here were gunning for something cold again, maybe a watered down version of Dec 2010 but in the end only Feb 2012 delivered briefly. Although that was mostly an England affair as the cold never made it much further west.

Edited by Frost HoIIow
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

1988 was the same.

A mild winter 1987/88, with little or no snow, followed by a dreadful summer. July that year was awful.

1998 followed a very mild winter 97/98, and the summer that year was poor. 98/99 was mild and boring. 

2008? A mild winter, a poor summer but winter 2008-09......

Link to post
Share on other sites

Summer so far has been thoroughly depressing in every sense of the word.

No heat, no storms, cold and very limited sunshine.

I've given up on any heatwaves this summer, so all i'm hoping for now is the occasional waft of warmer air so we can maybe get some storms, because the climate here in Hampshire for the last 14 months has been devoid of any interest whatsoever.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Weather-history said:


The Summer index is 10 x [(mean max of summer) +(total sunshine)/67 - (rain days/8)] 

 

One question I have, is how do you pro-rata it for this summer i.e. a summer that is part way through?

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Azazel said:

Summer so far has been thoroughly depressing in every sense of the word.

No heat, no storms, cold and very limited sunshine.

I've given up on any heatwaves this summer, so all i'm hoping for now is the occasional waft of warmer air so we can maybe get some storms, because the climate here in Hampshire for the last 14 months has been devoid of any interest whatsoever.

1st February though, even worse here, not even 1cm snaw

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

1st February though, even worse here, not even 1cm snaw

Yes at least I did get some snow down here back in February. A fleeting event in a very unmemorable Winter.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

and a thunder day looking at sig, nothing here

haha the thunder day was pathetic though. One clap of thunder from a distant shower. I'm proper clutching at straws.

Link to post
Share on other sites

what a terrible summer so far! its raining and feels even colder than it as in any other day this summer so far.Its a sorry state of affairs that we are 3 weeks into  June and I cant remember it reaching 20c yet (well in this location)

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Weather-history said:

2008? A mild winter, a poor summer but winter 2008-09......

Yes, that was the winter that bucked the trend and introduced us to a classic period of colder winters, but the summers were poor.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, summer blizzard said:

It got to 6pm and i thought we had made it but tonight marks day 9 of consecutive rainfall and 13/17.

Wonder if you can beat my record of consecutive days of rainfall recorded...Aug 20 2000 - Dec 22 2000

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...