Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2019 - Moans, Ramps, Chat etc

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
57 minutes ago, B87 said:

2014 was a good June, warm and sunny.

June 2016 I wouldn't wish upon my worst enemy. Cloudiest on record, 8th wettest on record here, cool days rarely ever seeing any warmth (though nights were warmer than normal).

I could deal with a cooler than average June as long as it was dry and sunny, and followed by at minimum, an average July and a warm, sunny August.

A sunny but cool June is difficult to achieve though - even if there is cool upper air the strong June sun would easily nudge temps to average or a bit above if the day times are practically cloudless. Anyway for purely selfish reasons I'm thoroughly enjoying this current weather - no sweating, better for sleeping, no moorland fires. Although it can't be good for UK holiday resorts. I bet they did incredibly well last year but that was an exceptional Summer probably not to be repeated for a while. This is the UK not the Algarve.

• Like 4

Posted
Just now, Frost HoIIow said:

A sunny but cool June is difficult to achieve though - even if there is cool upper air the strong June sun would easily nudge temps to average or a bit above if the day times are practically cloudless. Anyway for purely selfish reasons I'm thoroughly enjoying this current weather - no sweating, better for sleeping, no moorland fires. Although it can't be good for UK holiday resorts. I bet they did incredibly well last year but that was an exceptional Summer probably not to be repeated for a while. This is the UK not the Algarve.

Yes you’re right. Can’t see a summer 2018 happening for at least another 3-4 years. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
10 minutes ago, Frost HoIIow said:

London managed cool but sunny Junes in 1962, 1967, 1969, 1999 and 2001. We are probably due for one.

We are also due a sunny August.

Edited by B87

Posted
2 hours ago, B87 said:

London managed cool but sunny Junes in 1962, 1967, 1969, 1999 and 2001. We are probably due for one.

We are also due a sunny August.

Not entirely true - June 1999 wasn't particularly settled but temps were average to slightly above in London. June 2001 was unsettled at first & London breached 30C during that month with quite a number of days above 20C - hardly cool....I'd call it t-shirt weather. Bearing in mind the average high in London in June is 20C. Even wearing a light jacket in 20C would make me a bit uncomfortable with the sun beating down.

Edited by Frost HoIIow
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
22 minutes ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Not entirely true - June 1999 wasn't particularly settled but temps were average to slightly above in London. June 2001 was unsettled at first & London breached 30C during that month with quite a number of days above 20C - hardly cool....I'd call it t-shirt weather. Bearing in mind the average high in London in June is 20C. Even wearing a light jacket in 20C would make me a bit uncomfortable with the sun beating down.

It takes a particularly poor June for London to only average high of 20C - reserved for years like 2016, 2013, 2012 and 2002. Even 2007 was over a degree higher.

Posted
32 minutes ago, MP-R said:

It takes a particularly poor June for London to only average high of 20C - reserved for years like 2016, 2013, 2012 and 2002. Even 2007 was over a degree higher.

True but average is average which for London in Summer really isn't that cool to folk up north. Many days between 14 & 17C like we get here in Oldham in Summer is cool. When was the last proper below average Summer month in London? I've looked through most Summers there & it's extremely rare that they don't breach 30C on at least one day in Summer. Most Summers it's multiple times which bumps up the local CET by some margin. I'd imagine what is "cool" to Londoners would seem warmer to us further north given It's not often we hit 30C here. My nearest station is Manchester airport which reached 30C just once last Summer & once in July 2016. However before then you have to go back 10 years to 2006. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Since 2000, it’s reached 30C in Leeds in 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2011, 2013, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018.

Pretty normal to reach that threshold at least once a year.  Much less common - or quite rare -  to reach it several times in a year. Back-to-back 30C+ days is a true indicator of a very special hot spell.

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
8 hours ago, MP-R said:

Yes, the average high in London in June is 21.0c (23.5c in July and 23.2c in August). 20c is reached about 100 times per year at Kew or Heathrow, it's not a special benchmark. 25c+ is seen about 30 times in a typical year, that is a better benchmark for whether the summer has been good or not. London averages 4 days above 30c per year.

London's coldest Junes on record were 1991 and 1972, both seeing an average high of 17.5c. In the last decade, we have seen very cool summer months in July/August 2007, August 2008, August 2010, July/August 2011, June/July 2012, Augut 2014. None of those months had an average high above 21.7c, which for mid-summer in London, is terrible.

Edited by B87
  • Like 1

Posted
9 hours ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Yes, 20c in June can feel warm in the sun. But, I still wear light jacket until it’s 21c. I do this because I’ve made the mistake of walking around in a t shirt when it’s 20-21, then the temp drops to 19 and it feels cold. 

You have to factor in wind and cloud also, because some people will feel cold even if the temperature is 20c.

Posted
42 minutes ago, B87 said:

Yes, the average high in London in June is 21.0c (23.5c in July and 23.2c in August). 20c is reached about 100 times per year at Kew or Heathrow, it's not a special benchmark. 25c+ is seen about 30 times in a typical year, that is a better benchmark for whether the summer has been good or not. London averages 4 days above 30c per year.

London's coldest Junes on record were 1991 and 1972, both seeing an average high of 17.5c. In the last decade, we have seen very cool summer months in July/August 2007, August 2008, August 2010, July/August 2011, June/July 2012, Augut 2014. None of those months had an average high above 21.7c, which for mid-summer in London, is terrible.

Yes it’s ghastly. Just goes to show how many poor summer months and poor summers we’ve had since 2007. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes, Snow, Winter, Summer storms after a 'heatwave'
10 hours ago, Frost HoIIow said:

My nearest station is Manchester airport which reached 30C just once last Summer & once in July 2016. However before then you have to go back 10 years to 2006. 

I'm sure it hit 30c July 2013 in Manchester

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
2 hours ago, Snowyowl9 said:

Its colder than yesterday between 9 and 10c no sun light drizzle windy.

I feel for you. Temperatures of 12-15c all week in Wales with rain isn't summer at all. It even feels disappointing here at 18c all week, some 2-3c below where we should be for June. Strap yourself in and get used to it, nothing good on the horizon for a while.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
1 hour ago, mb018538 said:

I feel for you. Temperatures of 12-15c all week in Wales with rain isn't summer at all. It even feels disappointing here at 18c all week, some 2-3c below where we should be for June. Strap yourself in and get used to it, nothing good on the horizon for a while.

this is the forecast for the next week in my area....

Parts of the Prairies are making a run at cramming every season into just a few days this week. An isolated storm risk resumes on Wednesday ahead of a more significant round of rain and severe storms to move in to finish the week. The steady downward temperature trend continues as well; a fact that leaves us looking at a "significant snow" threat by later this week.

oh the joys of snow in June:snowman-emoji:

Posted

Vile day , it feels freezing, slate grey skies and breezey.

Infact  , as i speak , im going to put the heating on. Pathetic in June.

• Like 2

Posted
6 hours ago, Dkeane3 said:

I'm sure it hit 30c July 2013 in Manchester

29C on the 19th.

Screenshot_20190605-174506.thumb.png.97a01b62e14b8d1b3aa7c09dd5abaefd.png

Edited by Frost HoIIow
  • Like 1

Posted

It’s not great for early June. What I’ve noticed recently in the London region is, we’ve had sunny mornings giving way to cloudy and dull afternoons. Temps have been disappointing, but it’s the lack of sun that’s more of an issue. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
3 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

It’s not great for early June. What I’ve noticed recently in the London region is, we’ve had sunny mornings giving way to cloudy and dull afternoons. Temps have been disappointing, but it’s the lack of sun that’s more of an issue. 

sunny evenings here always, after dull and wet days, nights dry too

Posted
3 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

sunny evenings here always, after dull and wet days, nights dry too

Yes, and the nice to have the sunny clear evenings. Especially as we are in the lightest point of the year. But, the dull afternoons are a little annoying. Hopefully a prolonged sunny spell will begin at some stage. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
29 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

Yes, and the nice to have the sunny clear evenings. Especially as we are in the lightest point of the year. But, the dull afternoons are a little annoying. Hopefully a prolonged sunny spell will begin at some stage. 

not keen on sunny evenings after dull wet days, always seems to dry up or get out sunny after 5pm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow
6 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

not keen on sunny evenings after dull wet days, always seems to dry up or get out sunny after 5pm

Sunny evenings after a dull day to me seem like a bit of an insult from the weather 

Posted

Meanwhile the heat is on in the east of Germany. It got up to 35C today in Magdeburg and 34C in Berlín.

30.1C today at my nearest weather station, though I'm unsure as to its reliability. Koliba managed 29C and Ivanka 28C (both official stations for Bratislava). I could devote an entire thread to the unusual geography and microclimates of Bratislava. 

Edited by AderynCoch

Posted

Hopefully, the temperature does not spike up to 33 degrees Celcius this June, July. Last year was extremely hot during these months. Not looking forward to the sticky and humid summer.  

• Like 3

Posted

No where near as warm as last year, which was a bit special but overall the last month or so has been very useable in my neck of the woods majority of days I've been out in t-shirt and the little rain that has fallen dried out very quickly

• Like 2