Jump to content
Holidays
Local
Radar
Snow?
SunnyDazee

Summer 2019 - Moans, Ramps, Chat etc

Recommended Posts

Aye same here, Cheshire Gap streamer just missing me, north of Stoke, can see anvils from here

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Woke to a lovely 15c in bedroom,no air con,windows open and 2 fans running gently...Perfect🙂 Fingers crossed summer stays like this for the rest of its visit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had some unexpected thunder and lightning last night. Rain was pretty intense mind.

 

I dont want to alleged warm up to happen next week. Just get us into autumn...but give us some dry weather to end August. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yet another cold. wet and dreary Autumn day.  Overnight min10.7C, currently 13.7C.  Just had to run the heating for an hour to take the chill off my place.  This what we laughingly describe as "high Summer." 🤣 I pity the schoolkids who have to take their holidays at home rather than in warmer, sunnier climes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Folk have got spoilt with the hot weather in the past summers that can only be described as freakish heat. Nice to be able to sleep at night this month.

The lakes should be a lot fresher and cooler too after the rains.

Edited by prolongedSnowLover

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, prolongedSnowLover said:

Folk have got spoilt with the hot weather in the past summers that can only be described as freakish heat. Nice to be able to sleep at night this month.

The lakes should be a lot fresher and cooler too after the rains.

what a strange thing to say... we have only had 3 decent (hot) summers since 2003, as the manchester summer indices posted above highlights. and 8 of the last 12 have been much worse then this summer. so i dont understand how we have "been spoilt" , hot summer weather is uncommon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

does anyone remember who predicted a wetter then average summer, with less sunshine but more thundery outbreaks including flash flooding? some internet blogger i think...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lovely waking up to a 'chill' this morning. It felt really fresh. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, nn2013 said:

Had some unexpected thunder and lightning last night. Rain was pretty intense mind.

 

I dont want to alleged warm up to happen next week. Just get us into autumn...but give us some dry weather to end August. 

I’m with you. I wish time would stop being wasted and the rest of August be largely settled and warm before a gentle slide into autumn through September.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Starting to feel decidedly back endish now. Like those days in mid Feb when the sun feels nice out of the wind. 

Saying that, we'll have another hurrah of summer I'm sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All I can say there must be BIG variations from north to south, WildswimmerPete comes from Runcorn which isn't that far north in the UK (near Liverpool) seems to be getting the rough end of this summer as well as some folk in northern central areas towards Lincolnshire and as we know parts of Scotland have been deluged over the last couple of weeks. Other posters towards the West Country, southern areas and particularly the south east and East Anglia have had generally pleasant conditions just with the odd unsettled day and been largely dry up until Friday last week for the last 6 weeks. So to summarise big variations in such a small country...interesting to note how synoptically the weather has largely come from west to east since the start of July which hasn't always been the case over recent summers which I'm sure will break in the next few weeks and punting on a more settled spell with more anti-cyclonic weather end of the month.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's about time the Mods closed this thread down - Summer is CLEARLY over !!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Summer Sun said:

Possibly the best day of the week today for many

Unbroken sunshine here in the NE after overnight rain 

Pretty much the same here in NW, rain overnight, overnight minimum again of 9.8°C. Mostly sunny here with a bit of fair weather cloud. It's breezy though and it's only 16°C so nothing to get excited about in mid August.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, markyo said:

Woke to a lovely 15c in bedroom,no air con,windows open and 2 fans running gently...Perfect🙂 Fingers crossed summer stays like this for the rest of its visit.

Sounds bloody freezing! 🥶 Are you a polar bear?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Wildswimmer Pete said:

Yet another cold. wet and dreary Autumn day.  Overnight min10.7C, currently 13.7C.  Just had to run the heating for an hour to take the chill off my place.  This what we laughingly describe as "high Summer." 🤣 I pity the schoolkids who have to take their holidays at home rather than in warmer, sunnier climes. 

Is it? I've always considered high summer to be mid-late July. That's when the highest temperatures tend to be. It's almost been 2 months since the longest day as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Sounds bloody freezing! 🥶 Are you a polar bear?

Normally in winter i try to keep bedroom bout 11 to 12c but even then still have the 2 fans on,can't stand a bedroom much over 18c........polar bear no,Eskimo may be😉

Edited by markyo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, markyo said:

Normally in winter i try to keep bedroom bout 11 to 12c but even then still have the 2 fans on,can't stand a bedroom much over 18c........polar bear no,Eskimo may be😉

I think me and most other people would become hypothermic if we stayed overnight at your house lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Froze were the Days said:

All I can say there must be BIG variations from north to south, WildswimmerPete comes from Runcorn which isn't that far north in the UK (near Liverpool) seems to be getting the rough end of this summer as well as some folk in northern central areas towards Lincolnshire and as we know parts of Scotland have been deluged over the last couple of weeks. Other posters towards the West Country, southern areas and particularly the south east and East Anglia have had generally pleasant conditions just with the odd unsettled day and been largely dry up until Friday last week for the last 6 weeks. So to summarise big variations in such a small country...interesting to note how synoptically the weather has largely come from west to east since the start of July which hasn't always been the case over recent summers which I'm sure will break in the next few weeks and punting on a more settled spell with more anti-cyclonic weather end of the month.

Hmmm... Not so sure about that. Here in East Lancs, our summers are wet, cool and miserable at the best of times, but I think this summer, if you take out the 1st half of June and the last few days, has been pretty decent here. In July, it was generally 19-22C most days which is fine by me. We had a few wet/cooler days but we have had quite a a lot of sunny days around 21c this summer which is perfect weather as far as I'm concerned. 🙂

 

And I don't think it's been as westerly as you think. Summers 2016/17 were very poor here and were very Atlantic Driven, they had a lot of brisk westerly winds with frequent weather fronts, rain bands and showers. This summer has been quite a lot better than those two summers imo. The rain has tended to fall less frequently in the form of sharp heavy showers or the odd wet day then dry for the next few days rather than active weather fronts most days. At one point in July my grass was starting to turn slightly brown before the thunderstroms came. That never happened in Summers 2015, 16 or 17.

Edited by East Lancs Rain

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

I think me and most other people would become hypothermic if we stayed overnight at your house lol.

 

44 minutes ago, markyo said:

Normally in winter i try to keep bedroom bout 11 to 12c but even then still have the 2 fans on,can't stand a bedroom much over 18c........polar bear no,Eskimo may be😉

I love a cold bedroom, don't get me wrong.

I have an aircon that is set to 18oC all summer long but 11/12oC.

Nope. That's way too cold! 

Although I would still take 11/12oC over a 30oC bedroom any day! Cosy under a thick duvet should be the only way to sleep 💪

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ARW WeatherMan said:

Cosy under a thick duvet should be the only way to sleep

oh yes,the colder the better. I normally shut the windows when it gets down to single figures in the bedroom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Turnedoutniceagain said:

It's about time the Mods closed this thread down - Summer is CLEARLY over !!

Arrr don't say that. It may be a bit cool and breezy but the sun still has some strength in it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, markyo said:

oh yes,the colder the better. I normally shut the windows when it gets down to single figures in the bedroom

You wouldn't like it at my college then. A lot of the classrooms are around 24c. Now that is too hot!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, markyo said:

oh yes,the colder the better. I normally shut the windows when it gets down to single figures in the bedroom

And I thought 17c was cold. Lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

I think me and most other people would become hypothermic if we stayed overnight at your house lol.

That's the difference between Lancastrians and Yorkshire folk😀....but your probably right!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...