Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2019 - Moans, Ramps, Chat etc

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
2 minutes ago, Loifeless said:

Cloud starting to get onto land now. Heathrow and Northolt will struggle I think to get much past the July record.

2019-07-25_13-16-03.png

Those showers are currently on a direct path to the London area. This does concern me slightly in terms of the all time record (not the current minor cloud cover others are getting worked up over). 

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Bristle boy said:

Cant quite believe some of you are getting worked up about whether a temp is 32c or 35c OR whether temps drop if cloud appears. Chill out with an ice lolly

The all time record is at stake though! I completely get the tension/angst in here.

I was a fresh faced 18 year old with my Korn hoodeie and eyebrow piercing when the record was set.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

No surprise to see the Cambridge might end up with the high, it is probably more luck that so many of the maximum have ended up around the NW London area where many other places like interior parts of East Anglia and North Kent can do just as well in set ups like this.

To be honest I will be happy to see that July record go, such an anomaly in a rather poor summer.

Edited by Captain Shortwave
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
1 minute ago, Azazel said:

I've had really good dumpings of snow in 2 of the last 2 winters. Alright, 2018 was kinda Spring but still.

Yes but i bet you didn't get many over the course of the last 8 or 9 years, that is impressive for Hampshire these days but back in the day even Hampshire used to get winter storms and channel lows much more regularly than nowadays.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and hot.
2 minutes ago, Bristle boy said:

Cant quite believe some of you are getting worked up about whether a temp is 32c or 35c OR whether temps drop if cloud appears. Chill out with an ice lolly

Because I'd rather see it be a all time record breaking day, not just a very hot one. Sure, it's nice. But with so much potential, we should be breaking that record.

A lot of buzz leading up to this.

Posted
1 minute ago, Bristle boy said:

Tried that, melted before I could unwrap it. I blame the heat.

• Like 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, Bristle boy said:

Because some of us are interested in records.

Posted
2 minutes ago, Azazel said:

The all time record is at stake though! I completely get the tension/angst in here.

I was a fresh faced 18 year old with my Korn hoodeie and eyebrow piercing when the record was set.

Absolutely, you get me.

If 38.5c is not surpassed today, it will be a epic letdown and underperformance..

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
Just now, matty007 said:

A lot of buzz leading up to this.

Probably not the word I would use, maybe replacing it with the words hysterical behaviour?!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.
19 minutes ago, matty007 said:

How? If it was just a few loose clouds, fine. But you can't even see the sun. That is quite dense cloud. Will easily shave a couple of degrees off the temps.We have had this problem in July 1st 2015, just don't want it happening again.

Hopefully it clears very soon.

No panic mate... We just had a cloud Bank go through here, even a couple of spots of rain, and within 10 minutes, completely blue skies again. 

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Yes but i bet you didn't get many over the course of the last 8 or 9 years, that is impressive for Hampshire these days but back in the day even Hampshire used to get winter storms and channel lows much more regularly than nowadays.

True, I think we went something like 5 winters without any until 17/18.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny

I’d describe it as a letdown if it only reached 28 and fell. I know people want extremes but current temps of 35-36 are groundbreaking enough for this day to not be considered a letdown

Edited by Stabilo19
  • Like 1

Posted
Just now, Mapantz said:

Probably not the word I would use, maybe replacing it with the words hysterical behaviour?!

Hardly. The only time I get hysterical and moody is when some unwanted cumilus comes in and ruins the day. Not saying that'll 100% happen, but there's a lot more cloud than first thought.

Posted
1 minute ago, MattStoke said:

Because some of us are interested in records.

Interesting? I have over 100 vinyl LPs from late 70s and 80s. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
Just now, Summer Sun said:

Paris has a new record high of 40.6c

Champs elysees!!

• Like 3

Posted

We probably have weeks of cloud to come, why does it have to come at the most pivital time, that's why I have angst.

Look. If we had the potential for 40c very often, it wouldn't bother me, but this is a rather freak event. It's all or nothing with this for me.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
8 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

But it was for most of the last century, its only a recent thing IMO that we have had to scratch around like hermits with the clap for snow.

Snow may become more frequent again at any time. We just don’t know. But in the UK, it’s always been more difficult to get deep cold than heat. 

• Like 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, Loifeless said:

Cloud starting to get onto land now. Heathrow and Northolt will struggle I think to get much past the July record. Well, unless that cloud starts to fizzle away substantially.

2019-07-25_13-16-03.png

In that clear slot my temperatures rose by nearly 3c. If the same thing happens for Heathrow, they will end up around 39c before the clouds come over.

Cloud cover increasing to the south now due to those showers, but still reached 34.5c, a little over what was expected at this point.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Worth pointing put that high resolution models did factor in broken cloud whilst predicting the 37/38c highs for today. So nothing out of the blue at the moment. Obviously clear skies all day could have allowed the 40c to possibly be reached.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
Just now, Azazel said:

True, I think we went something like 5 winters without any until 17/18.

The question always has to be asked, would you rather have a climate like here and the West Midlands where i lived before, where snow is guaranteed every winter but usually not in any quantity, or places like Kent Sussex, Hants, Devon / South Wales where you get not a flake for 5 years then an almighty tonking of a foot, i suspect whatever your used to you would wan't the opposite TBH.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny
1 minute ago, tomwatson1987 said:

Cambridge airport has just hit 37... exciting afternoon ahead

But it’s impossible?! Haha

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

To put this into perspective, the Netherlands all-time record has just been shattered again. 41.7 °C!

• Like 3