Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2019 - Moans, Ramps, Chat etc

Posted
19 minutes ago, matty007 said:

Indeed, a band of rain going across the channel. However looking at it, it will miss the London area by some margin.

rain.thumb.png.9bc8ce08e36e0c6a76739bf46b9fb474.png

It is actually developing over the channel not fading out will be interesting to see if it hits land if it goes at same rate probably 11-11.15am to hit the south coast?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and hot.
Just now, Azazel said:

So Summer for me so far is sitting at about a 5-6/10. An appalling June followed by a very pleasant July - first week of August looking a bit non-descript/boring (praying we don't have a re-run of June, but we probably will because August is often rubbish/autumnal).

If August sees another plume/severe storm outbreak, that would elevate this summer to a 7-8/10 for me.

June was utterly dire. However July has been much better, albeit a little cloudy in my neck of the woods. This is a summer of plumes and heat spikes. I do have a feeling that this August may deliver something more memorable.

All in all, it's been an above average summer certianly, it's just marred by the ultra consistent and sunny summer last year. I don't expect another 2018 for 30-40 years so you really can't grumble.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny

Bit of a knife edge scenario with that cloud over France on its way up. 

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, matty007 said:

June was utterly dire. However July has been much better, albeit a little cloudy in my neck of the woods. This is a summer of plumes and heat spikes. I do have a feeling that this August may deliver something more memorable.

All in all, it's been an above average summer certianly, it's just marred by the ultra consistent and sunny summer last year. I don't expect another 2018 for 30-40 years so you really can't grumble.

Agreed - 2018 was glorious, but for me I look for two things. Heat & Storms. 2018 had all the heat but absolutely no convection whatsoever for me, so it was lovely, but very boring. If August can buck the trend of recent Augusts, then it will have been a great summer overall - big ask though.

• Like 1

Posted

Heathrow, Cambridge, Northolt reporting 32 C now - Should see 35 at midday with the current rate. Perhaps the record will go near cambridge since it will probably remain clear.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
15 minutes ago, matty007 said:

Currently is the first time since 2003 that I have used a fan. Indoors, it's a little opressive even for me. 2003 was the last time I remember heat feeling so 'tropical'. Even in the great spells of 2006,2013,2015 plume and 2018, the heat didn't have quite the same feel to it

Truly feels like being in the Algarve as opposed to the UK.

Agreed!...sign of the times I'm afraid, 2006 and the odd spell in 2013 and 15' was hot but doesn't feel on the same level, just wondering if in my local I can get 3 days in a row in the 30's (that hasn't happened since 2003 I think).

Edited by Froze were the Days
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

I just don't know how summer weather fans can call this summer dire, if we hit even 37c today, that is 14c above the London average, i am a winter cold and snow fan, i certainly wouldn't call a winter daytime max 14c below average (in other words -4 to -7c) as dire, in fact i would call it a stonker.

• Like 4

Posted
6 minutes ago, Azazel said:

Agreed - 2018 was glorious, but for me I look for two things. Heat & Storms. 2018 had all the heat but absolutely no convection whatsoever for me, so it was lovely, but very boring. If August can buck the trend of recent Augusts, then it will have been a great summer overall - big ask though.

True, it's somewhat the same for me, I love storms also. The ones in May 2018 were fantastic, then preety much nothing. Although I will say that the seemingly never ending sun and pleasant temps of 25-27c for weeks on end trumped the lot for me. For the UK, that duration of settled weather was amazing. June 2018 remains my all time favourite summer month.

Edited by matty007
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy
1 minute ago, Azazel said:

That's the interesting thing about British Summers. In terms of 'hot' Summers, you either get typical weather interspersed by very hot plumes (this year) or mostly very dry and warm weather (26-29C) with no convection (last year). You'll very, very rarely see 30C every day for weeks. 

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, NTC said:

Just shy of  south coast now

rain4.png

I know we have a lot of south coast posters from the storms the other night be interesting to see if this is anything or nothing in next half an hour

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

I just don't know how summer weather fans can call this summer dire, if we hit even 37c today, that is 14c above the London average, i am a winter cold and snow fan, i certainly wouldn't call a winter daytime max 14c below average (in other words -4 to -7c) as dire, in fact i would call it a stonker.

Agreed, just this week alone should bump summer 2019 up to 9/10. Record breaking temps (potentially) and widespread significance thunderstorms 2 days ago. 2019 will go down as one of the most memorable summers ever. 

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, PerfectStorm said:

That's the interesting thing about British Summers. In terms of 'hot' Summers, you either get typical weather interspersed by very hot plumes (this year) or mostly very dry and warm weather (26-29C) with no convection (last year). You'll very, very rarely see 30C every day for weeks. 

So true. I just don't think our airmass is 'stable' enough to allow consistently high tempretures. I want to phrase that better, but still. It always seems that everytime we inject extreme upper air and heat, such as now, it is swiftly met with a huge dip in tempretures and becomes unsettled. It''s quite annoying, but i'm not complaning too much

Despite me pining for a climate of 30c+ for weeks on end every summer, I would readily bite your hand off for more summers like last year. Still nice and warm at high 20's and never ending sun and low humidity to boot. I just don't think you can beat that.

• Like 1

Posted
12 minutes ago, NTC said:

One of the mods in the storm thread has posted a picture of cloud build up in Dorset the fly is swimming in the ointment.

Edited by NTC

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.
3 minutes ago, matty007 said:

True, it's somewhat the same for me, I love storms also. The ones in May 2018 were fantastic, then preety much nothing. Although I will say that the seemingly never ending sun and pleasant temps of 25-27c for weeks on end trumped the lot for me. For the UK, that duration of settled weater was amazing. June 2018 remains my all time favourite summer month.

Just goes to show how different we are in preferences, as, for me, that month was one of the worst summer months I can recall.  Cloudy, warm and dry; the British countryside turned brown then grey.  I'd never seen grass and wild vegetation in field margins, beneath hedges and on verges go grey before, but they did around here.  It felt as though everything was dying around me, and it actually generated a sense of concern and sadness in me.  It was worse than any other summer I can recall in that regard - 1989, 1995, 2003 were dry and saw the countryside go brown, but last year was different and unpleasant.  I also found having the same conditions repeating for that length of time dreadfully monotonous.  One of the characteristics of our traditional climate I enjoyabove most others is its variability.  Last June was almost the same weather for all 30 days of the month,  IIRC.

• Like 2

Posted
9 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

While I would absolutely disagree with anyone down south saying it's been dire, 1-2 days does not a summer make;) I do think it's been a good summer so far though on average.

If we achieved record cold for 1-2 days in the winter but the rest of it was average/mild then you wouldn't be calling that Winter a stonker. 

• Like 1

Posted

Still not all that impressed with the showers coming up from the channel, though they are certainly stronger on the western side, heading for W.IoW right now.

Nothing like Tuesday night in terms of the cloud levels in front of the storms either.

Still amazing sunshine here at the moment, just the cells to the south to note really and on the eastern side (the part that counts for the record shout) its not all that impressive.

Edited by kold weather

Posted

since the last week in June this summer as really upped its game. Cant really complain about July at all. Not 100% perfect but no summer month is. Hopefully we will get a decent August. And then most of us Summer fans will be satisfied with summer 2019.

My main interest is today.To see if the all time record goes.. would be something to break the record. But to think. we have already broken the temperature record for winter this year already. Two seasonal records going in 1 year..That would be something. But also worrying.

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Azazel said:

While I would absolutely disagree with anyone down south saying it's been dire, 1-2 days does not a summer make;) I do think it's been a good summer so far though on average.

If we achieved record cold for 1-2 days in the winter but the rest of it was average/mild then you wouldn't be calling that Winter a stonker. 

1. yes i would if it contained my biggest ever snowfall.

2. This summer will come in above average so its decent for heat fans, not dire, if it came in 2c below average and 100mm of rain in each month, then that is dire.

Posted

To be fair if the highest (or lowest) ever recorded UK temperature occurred in the season, then I would rate that summer/winter very highly. It's a special event.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

A crap first half of June (2/10), a better second half (6/10) , a better than average first half of july (7/10) and a lovely second half (so far) 9/10 leads to...6/10 overall for me. 

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, PerfectStorm said:

A crap first half of June (2/10), a better second half (6/10) , a better than average first half of july (7/10) and a lovely second half (so far) 9/10 leads to...6/10 overall for me. 

I would agree with this completely.

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Azazel said:

I would agree with this completely.

Exactly. So 2 weeks of what summer fans wouldn't want and 6 weeks of what they would, imagine SW winds for first 2 weeks of Dec, NW winds for second, N'ly for first half of Jan and E'ly for last half of Jan - a stonker for me, thats the equivalent!