Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2019 - Moans, Ramps, Chat etc

Posted

Well the summer has had hideous heat on too many days, and not many "nice warm" days.  Its either cloudy, wet or too hot.    And unlike the 80s 90s and 00s, a severe lack of storms to match the stupidly hot spells we have had to suffer. 

Global warming is like an STD, lots of negatives and no positives whatsoever!! 

• Like 6

Posted

Manchester Summer Indices 

1954 143
1907 147
1956 155
1912 156
1924 158
2012 164
2008 168
1987 169
1946 170
1909 171
1931 173
1978 173
1980 173
1920 174
1923 174
2007 174
1927 175
1948 176
1938 177
1922 178
2011 179
1985 180
1958 184
1972 185
1916 188
1986 189
1965 189
2016 189
1910 190
1936 190
1988 191
2010 191
1966 192
1998 192
2017 192
1953 193
1963 194
1993 194
2009 194
1902 195
1915 196
1981 196
1928 197
1962 197
1964 197
2004 197
1952 198
2000 198
1930 199
1974 199
1979 199
1918 200
1944 200
2002 200
2019 200 (up to 27th August)
1951 201 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

What a difference 12 hrs makes,first time i've felt alive in days,the drop in humidity is amazing,so much better. Best 6 months of the year coming up as well weather wise! Autumn is walking down the garden path and is just about to knock on the door,can't wait!

• Like 9

Posted

4/10 summer for me IMBY.

some very notable heat (obviously) though sparing and short lived (thankfully, because that record-breaking July event was too much for me at work etc). June was awful, July was very pleasant and August has been OK. I've never seen sub 10 maxes in June before (They've probably happened but I can't remember actually seeing them) and the Friday before last was absolutely revolting.

Another year with a distinct lack of storms for this location. Thankfully we had a great event in July but that was absolutely it. One storm in 16 months really is very poor. I saw my first "hard cauliflower" convection of the season yesterday off towards the North even though its basically the end of the season. More storms and I would've been willing to bump the score up to a 6-7/10.

My final hope for a surface based storm this year rests on us perhaps achieving another burst of "freakish" heat in the autumn - with the warm SST's we might get something pretty spectacular should that occur. However, as is the case here in the last few years, heat just seems to get shunted away and fizzle out without a breakdown. Very Strange.

Anyway, all eyes start to turn to Winter now - hope its a mild and boring one!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, cold, cold and errrr......cold. I am, unashamedly, a cold fan.
2 hours ago, markyo said:

What a difference 12 hrs makes,first time i've felt alive in days,the drop in humidity is amazing,so much better. Best 6 months of the year coming up as well weather wise! Autumn is walking down the garden path and is just about to knock on the door,can't wait!

Yes, so much better!

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

A yellow severe weather warning for rain has been issued for south-west Scotland later this week

12:00 Fri 30 12:00 Sat 31

A band of heavy rain is expected to become slow-moving across southwest Scotland, especially across the hills of Dumfries and Galloway.

What to expect

• Flooding of a few homes and businesses is likely
  • Bus and train services probably affected with journey times taking longer
  • Spray and flooding on roads probably making journey times longer

A period of heavy and persistent rain is expected to affect southwest Scotland through Friday afternoon and into Saturday morning. Accumulations of 30-50 mm are expected quite widely with isolated accumulations of 100 mm possible over the hills of Dumfries and Galloway. There is some uncertainty in the northern and southern extent of the heaviest rain with Dumfries and Galloway considered most likely to see some impacts.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/warnings-and-advice/uk-warnings?WT.mc_id=Twitter_Weatherdesk_Enquiries#?date=2019-08-30&id=86406db8-a0bb-4c4d-9c85-50107b248957&details

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.
18 hours ago, Ed Stone said:

I think this summer has been an object lesson in just how meaningless arithmetic means can sometimes be: drought; flooding, severe thunderstorms; record-breaking heat, you name it...? An average summer containing very few average days...?:oldgrin:

i wouldnt agree with that...imho this summer has had many average days, here we have only broken 25c 10 times, and its been dry more days then wet.... its just that when its rained, its been heavy and when its been hot, its been very hot.

well thats my perception anyway.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow

It's been an average summer here. Luckily i was in Greece during the dreadful period of the first two weeks of June, ironically just as the Ionian Islands started their hottest early June spell for 20 years (thanks to UK copping it in part).I came back and the weather turned. It was wonderfully hot for some periods, but not prolonged like 2018. Then after a lovely July, August took the normal route here, bar the Bank Holiday weekend. Id give the summer a solid 6 out of 10.

I think we've lost the heat for the year now here, so it's nicely downhill into Autumn before I get a sneeky week back on Zante in Mid October- if that follows my holiday of October 2017 when it was hot and sunny I'll take that going forward into late Autumn and early Winter

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
4 hours ago, markyo said:

Again - I think you need to understand what humidity is! In your location humidity has been between 90-95% all day. How can that be a drop? Was it that high over the last week? A quick look back at Sunday shows a high of 29c with 40% humidity. Try the tropics for some actually humid weather. 40% isn’t high humidity.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
1 hour ago, mb018538 said:

Again - I think you need to understand what humidity is! In your location humidity has been between 90-95% all day. How can that be a drop? Was it that high over the last week? A quick look back at Sunday shows a high of 29c with 40% humidity. Try the tropics for some actually humid weather. 40% isn’t high humidity.

Just ignore him.

• Like 1

Posted

Like philglossop I also happened to be in the Greek islands for the worst part of June - the Cyclades were sunny as expected with temperatures close to or slightly above the a seasonal average. The northerly Meltemi wind moderated the heat somewhat, particularly in Mykonos where it was pretty windy early on. We arrived back on the 20th just as the weather was picking up in the UK.

Some folks have observed that this summer had little typical decent weather with average temperatures - here, in fact, we had an excellent spell from the last week of June until mid July with daytime temperatures a little above average, some cool nights and almost no rain.

On the whole I'd say June was poor (4/10), July good (7.5/10) and August average plus (6.5/10, perhaps 7 by the end, with the unsettled middle part letting down an otherwise good month). Overall a somewhat better than average summer here.

Posted
2 hours ago, mb018538 said:

To me it felt far less humid,what is your problem with that? Every person i have spoken to today has said the same. But please just ignore me.I ignore certain folk on here as well.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, markyo said:

To me it felt far less humid,what is your problem with that? Every person i have spoken to today has said the same. But please just ignore me.I ignore certain folk on here as well.

I agree with you - it feels far fresher and cooler outside now (although it feels warm indoors still even with windows open).

It'll certainly be nice to have a night without the incessant heat of the last few days though!

• Like 6

Posted
2 hours ago, mb018538 said:

I will use the Humidex reference in future. That will be more accurate. Sorry for the confusion.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

oddly, humidity is higher here today at 80% then it was yesterday at around 50% ..... i guess 50% humidity in 26c feels more humid then 80% in 18c ....

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, mushymanrob said:

oddly, humidity is higher here today at 80% then it was yesterday at around 50% ..... i guess 50% humidity in 26c feels more humid then 80% in 18c ....

The Humidex index is a Canadian scale used to to reference the combination of heat and humidity on the average person. About the mid 1960's i think it was first really used.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

Been out for a mile or so walk this afternoon, though yesterday was 29c and today just above 25c it still feels quite humid just with bit more of a breeze. Actually looking forward to some proper fresh conditions...whenever that occurs! 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

had enough now, another day when it rains all day, then as soon as 5pm comes it dries up, and remains dry all night, then often starts raining again around 9am,

not sure if there's any scientific reasons why in my location the fronts are timed for the day, hit the west early hours, then the east early evening?

we all have weather preferences, that's what makes forum interesting but cannot understand anyone wanting wind and rain/cold weather early Sept? we have Nov to Mar of this vile stuff

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow

Being on the south coast I quite like an early gale and driving rain in September reminding me autumn is setting in, gives a much different feel to the summer just gone and season change taking place, however I also like a late blast of summer aswell either one doesn’t bother me I like any weather type apart from very mild in the middle of winter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and blisteringly hot

Back to Autumn. Wet and just 15C mid-afternoon and cloudy. Looks like the cloud is doing the usual, melting away as it gets dark. The outlook is even more Autumnal.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
2 minutes ago, Wildswimmer Pete said:

Back to Autumn. Wet and just 15C mid-afternoon and cloudy. Looks like the cloud is doing the usual, melting away as it gets dark. The outlook is even more Autumnal.

Sometimes wonder if you live in another country...but 15c is some 10c colder than here in Essex today - incredible! As I said a few weeks ago you need to move down here

• Like 1