Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2019 - Moans, Ramps, Chat etc

Posted
21 hours ago, Frost HoIIow said:

I simply just agreed with Aleman that Heathrow's weather station is located in an increasingly built up & busy area compared to 20 years ago. Yet my post was met with hysteria by some people. If it's of any use to you I think climate change is happening but is a combination of natural & man made influences.

No doubt about it, climate has always changed and always will.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Current watch level: Level 3 - Heatwave Action

Issued at: 08:54 on Mon 26 Aug 2019

There is a 90 % probability of heat health criteria being met between 0900 on Monday and 0900 on Wednesday in parts of England.

This is an update to the previous forecast to reflect increased confidence in hot conditions across some areas, and to reduce the risk across some western parts. Hot weather has become firmly established across eastern parts of England through the weekend, reaching heat health criteria in places. These temperatures are expected to continue on Bank holiday Monday and Tuesday, with some warm nights anticipated, before gradually easing from the west Wednesday.

Fresher conditions are now expected across many western parts, ensuring heat health thresholds are not reached here.

An update will be issued when the alert level changes in any region. Alerts are issued once a day by 0900 if required and are not subject to amendment in between standard issue times. Note that the details of the forecast weather are valid at the time of issue but may change over the period that an alert remains in force. These details will not be updated here unless the alert level also changes, the latest forecast details can be obtained at the following link: http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast/#?tab=map

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/heat-health/#?tab=heatHealth

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
41 minutes ago, reef said:

This August is turning into a very good month here. The mean temp is 17.6C (+0.9C), the rainfall is just 32.6mm (54%) with only 9 days of rain and the sunshine is 169hrs (109% of average at this point).

The max of 30.2C today was the highest in August since 2001 and the third highest of the last 40 years.The mean max is 1.7C above average, but the minima just 0.4C above.

Yup, we probably fared better east of the Pennines.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

Tomorrow (Tuesday) very likely to be day 4 of consecutive 30c+ temperatures here. Heathrow has recorded 30.7c, 33.3c and 33.2c over the last 3 days. 33c forecast for London again tomorrow before the heat breaks on Wednesday.

Posted

Manchester Summer Indices 

1954 143
1907 147
1956 155
1912 156
1924 158
2012 164
2008 168
1987 169
1946 170
1909 171
1931 173
1978 173
1980 173
1920 174
1923 174
2007 174
1927 175
1948 176
1938 177
1922 178
2011 179
1985 180
1958 184
1972 185
1916 188
1986 189
1965 189
2016 189
1910 190
1936 190
1988 191
2010 191
1966 192
1998 192
2017 192
1953 193
1963 194
1993 194
2009 194
1902 195
1915 196
1981 196
1928 197
1962 197
1964 197
2004 197
1952 198
2000 198
1930 199
1974 199
1979 199
2019 199 (up to 27th August) 

• Like 4

Posted

So is that must be quite close to average? I make that 52nd from bottom of a series of, what, 118 years but it looks like the median should be about 201 so 199 is not far enough away to be of any significance.

A miserable June and start to August, balanced out by two short, hot, sunny spells at the end of July and August makes for a very average summer?

Edited by Aleman

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

Since late June here in the south east (on the coast) the summer has been not bad - dry spells, warmer than average (with the odd rainy/breezy windy day thrown in) and just the odd day not making the average max temperature...6.5/10 for me so far!

Currently about as dry as it ha been all summer...garden water butts are almost empty.

Edited by Froze were the Days

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Yesterday was not too bad because a breeze picked up in the Afternoon with a slight chill at least (the breeze in July’s actually made it worse) however Sunday was utterly awful.

While August has not been too bad I still retain my preference for summer to be May-July and collapse into August.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

Temperature wise I have to rate August far higher than June. 

June had 18 days when it failed to reach 20°C IMBY

July had just two and August has had two.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb

In London there is no contest, August is far better than June was. August might even end up warmer than July, and will probably be the sunniest month of the summer here.

June was slightly warmer, but much wetter and cloudier than normal. 4/10

July was warmer, wetter and slightly cloudier than normal. 7/10

August will end up warmer, slightly drier than normal with either slightly below average or average sunshine. 7/10

Edited by B87
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

id rate june as slightly disappointing, we had that very wet spell in early june followed by 1 very wet day later, but we (locally at least) had a lot of dry days with dry days running at around 2/3 . it was just rather pleasantly fresh for most of the time, and lacking in 'heat' or 'hot days'..

but overall i reckon 'weather historys' summer index is pretty much spot on, and this summer overall will end up 'average' (unless you were unlucky enough to get flooded out).  extreme rain cancelled out by extreme heat..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
1 hour ago, mushymanrob said:

id rate june as slightly disappointing, we had that very wet spell in early june followed by 1 very wet day later, but we (locally at least) had a lot of dry days with dry days running at around 2/3 . it was just rather pleasantly fresh for most of the time, and lacking in 'heat' or 'hot days'..

but overall i reckon 'weather historys' summer index is pretty much spot on, and this summer overall will end up 'average' (unless you were unlucky enough to get flooded out).  extreme rain cancelled out by extreme heat..

Agree...for most of the UK a near 'average' summer will be appropriate, most of southern and eastern parts I would say even a bit better, but again some variations.

B87 - for the south east I think your assessment is about right, both July and August have been okay just 'spoilt' due to briefer unsettled windier interludes from making them 'good' summer months.

Edited by Froze were the Days

Posted
20 hours ago, cheese said:

Yup, we probably fared better east of the Pennines.

Today and yesterday it seems you have. It was warmer here on Sunday officially though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I think this summer has been an object lesson in just how meaningless arithmetic means can sometimes be: drought; flooding, severe thunderstorms; record-breaking heat, you name it...? An average summer containing very few average days...?:oldgrin:

Edited by Ed Stone
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold
6 hours ago, weatherguru14 said:

This is ridiculous.. the last  few days have been too HOT.The humidity today is shocking...its been an average to poor summer. But when its been warm its been  very hot.

Can’t wait to get rid of the stupid insane heat!

• Like 3

Posted
18 minutes ago, prolongedSnowLover said:

Can’t wait to get rid of the stupid insane heat!

Not long to wait now, a few hours should do it, then respite for 7 or 8 months, maybe more......

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold
41 minutes ago, DAVID SNOW said:

Not long to wait now, a few hours should do it, then respite for 7 or 8 months, maybe more......

If I need 30c plus I would choose to go abroad on holiday and at least it would be less humid!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and blisteringly hot

Mixed day, overnight min 14.9C, temp at warmest time of the day, 4pm, 21C.  Day dawned clear and sunny but then  about lunchtime became cloudy and close with a couple of light showers.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

Raining here now. ?️
A nice way to cool down.

• Like 2