Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2019 - Moans, Ramps, Chat etc

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

I am ready for Autumn now. 

Posted
6 minutes ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

I am ready for Autumn now. 

Summer is hanging on by its finger nails, as it often does , but it knows Autumn is close , ready to prise open its grasp and send it to its inevitable fall.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Current watch level: Level 3 - Heatwave Action

Issued at: 08:52 on Sat 24 Aug 2019

There is a 90 % probability of heat health criteria being met between 0900 on Saturday and 0900 on Wednesday in parts of England.

Dry, fine weather becomes established across the UK Saturday, with temperatures rising quite widely. Hot daytime temperatures are expected Saturday and Sunday, and warm conditions are also expected overnight, although there is lower confidence in overnight minimum temperate remaining above thresholds in places. Fresher air is expected to gradually and erratically move in from the west during Monday and Tuesday and confidence remains low regarding how quickly this spreads east. Whilst hot conditions are currently signalled to persist across Eastern and Southeastern England Tuesday, there is significant uncertainty by this stage.

An update will be issued when the alert level changes in any region. Alerts are issued once a day by 0900 if required and are not subject to amendment in between standard issue times. Note that the details of the forecast weather are valid at the time of issue but may change over the period that an alert remains in force. These details will not be updated here unless the alert level also changes, the latest forecast details can be obtained at the following link: http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast/#?tab=map 

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/heat-health/#?tab=heatHealth

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers
8 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Heathrow airport has recorded a new late August bank holiday record of 31.6C (88.9F)

Worth noting that the daily record for the 25th still stands at 32.5c which was recorded in North Heath in 1976

• Like 2

Posted

Given we still have a couple of hours of warming to go I suspect that 32.5c will be gone by the end of the day as well.

Certainly been an interesting summer, short and sharp intense heat bursts interspread with fairly bland and fairly wet spells.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.

Leeds Uni weather station is reporting 28.3ºC. Curious how high it will go! Certainly fantastic weather to be at either Leeds or Reading festivals, it's about time the weather was epic for them.

https://sci.ncas.ac.uk/leedsweather/

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
2 hours ago, Stelmer said:

Leeds Uni weather station is reporting 28.3ºC. Curious how high it will go! Certainly fantastic weather to be at either Leeds or Reading festivals, it's about time the weather was epic for them.

https://sci.ncas.ac.uk/leedsweather/

30.7C so far. 4th day above 30C this year and 30C achieved in all 3 summer months.

Today is also the second warmest day of the year, just nudging out 23 July which recorded 30.6C. 24 July obviously far ahead at 35C.

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.
4 minutes ago, cheese said:

30.7C so far. 4th day above 30C this year and 30C achieved in all 3 summer months.

Today is also the second warmest day of the year, just nudging out 23 July which recorded 30.6C. 24 July obviously far ahead at 35C.

Ooooh! Yeah I doubt we'll beat 24th July...

The sun is quite strong, my solar is doing really well at powering the house, even with my a/c on!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Great weather. Off out fishing tonight.

Still haven't managed to hit 30°C this year. A first for over 5 years.

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
17 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

Great weather. Off out fishing tonight.

Still haven't managed to hit 30°C this year. A first for over 5 years.

Good weather for mackerel bashing, My younger brothers up on Anglesey and has had a good day, Will be giving his arms a rest and going after the Conger/whiting and the good old dogfish tonight. I was going to take a trip up to meet him myself (to show him how to fish properly..) but I've not got the patients for the Bank Holiday traffic especially in this heat! 

Lovely weather here today. Just got the Barbeque lit.

IMG_20190825_170808.thumb.jpg.33940b2b1993daa1d78ed5a85bc07cb7.jpg

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 3

Posted

Heathow Airport? The station that no longer meets either the Met Office's strangely informal siting guidlines (at least the ones I've found) nor the WMO's much clearer ones (basically clear of artificial heating paving, junk and windbreaks, for 30 metres to clear Class 2 guidelines - Heathrow fails at 10m so looks like Class 4 !). Yet it keeps getting used. And 2nd and 3rd place today , at Northholt and St James, don't meet those guidelines either at Class 3 and Class 4 on roads and paving.  At least Cambridge Botanical Gardens don't feature today, though it might appear when they check later! Maybe they've replanted it with corn and watered it again now! (Do I need to emphasise the sarcastic tone? These weather stations are not good enough! See weather station siting thread.)

I was going to fit my weather station today after much delay - but I climbed up to the corner of the shed at the bottom of the garden, away from the house, and was overwhelmed by the heat off its roof. I instantly decided I could not put it there. Does the Met Office worry about such things? Apparently not for some stations! I have 20m by 50m of grass yet all sorts of things get in the way of siting the station, mostly windbreak shrubs and trees. I've given a great deal of thought where is best to put my station and still not decided. I know that nowhere in my garden meets Class 2. Yet I know I can still do much better than Heathrow Airport!

P.S. I'll take Bensons 32.1C in 4th place. That looks a like a Class 1 site, with good continuity.

Edited by Aleman

Posted
8 minutes ago, Aleman said:

Heathow Airport? The station that no longer meets either the Met Office's strangely informal siting guidlines (at least the ones I've found) nor the WMO's much clearer ones (basically clear of artificial heating paving, junk and windbreaks, for 30 metres to clear Class 2 guidelines - Heathrow fails at 10m so looks like Class 4 !). Yet it keeps getting used. And 2nd and 3rd place today , at Northholt and St James, don't meet those guidelines either at Class 3 and Class 4 on roads and paving.  At least Cambridge Botanical Gardens don't feature today, though it might appear when they check later! Maybe they've replanted it with corn and watered it again now! (Do I need to emphasise the sarcastic tone? These weather stations are not good enough! See weather station siting thread.)

I was going to fit my weather station today after much delay - but I climbed up to the corner of the shed at the bottom of the garden, away from the house, and was overwhelmed by the heat off its roof. I instantly decided I could not put it there. Does the Met Office worry about such things? Apparently not for some stations! I have 20m by 50m of grass yet all sorts of things get in the way of siting the station, mostly windbreak shrubs and trees. I've given a great deal of thought where is best to put my station and still not decided. I know that nowhere in my garden meets Class 2. Yet I know I can still do much better than Heathrow Airport!

P.S. I'll take Bensons 32.1C in 4th place. That looks a like a Class 1 site, with good continuity.

Those stations reflect conditions in places where people actually live.

• Like 3

Posted

This has surely been the warmest day in the last week of August in a very long time in these parts- even 1995 and 1997 got nowhere near this in the last week. I'd be interested to know other examples of hot days in the last week in the Manchester area- I can find very few. I think 1991 was the closest but it was certainly cooler than today.

Posted

No. Heathrow Airport does not its surroundings and it's also not consistent over time.  (Northolt and St James - it depends. It shouldn't !) It's surrounded by relatively modern blast fence at 10m which will make it considerably warmer than its typical neighbourhood. Not so a few decades ago and weather organisations are coalescing around Class 2 - no junk within 30m as a minimum. Heathrow has lots of junk within 10m and a lot more than in the past. It could easily be resited 30m south  (also taking it away away from the 6 lane north perimeter road in the process)  and return it to being a Class 2 station.  It's very inconsistent and would be expected to show higher readings than 20 years ago and 50 years ago under the same conditions. Very very poor and not good enough for what it is being used for!

Edited by Aleman
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

August 31st 2005 had 32.5C. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
16 minutes ago, Aleman said:

No. Heathrow Airport does not its surroundings and it's also not consistent over time.  (Northolt and St James - it depends. It shouldn't !) It's surrounded by relatively modern blast fence at 10m which will make it considerably warmer than its typical neighbourhood. Not so a few decades ago and weather organisations are coalescing around Class 2 - no junk within 30m as a minimum. Heathrow has lots of junk within 10m and a lot more than in the past. It could easily be resited 30m south  (also taking it away away from the 6 lane north perimeter road in the process)  and return it to being a Class 2 station.  It's very inconsistent and would be expected to show higher readings than 20 years ago and 50 years ago under the same conditions. Very very poor and not good enough for what it is being used for!

Shhhh you'll upset a few in here who still defend it.

Posted
4 minutes ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Shhhh you'll upset a few in here who still defend it.

More like you’ll bore everyone to death with the same repetitive complaints. 

Heathrow is accepted, time to move on and get over it.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, cheese said:

Well it's an argument that won't go away I'm afraid especially if you're placing a weather station close to obstacles of accurateness. 

Posted
2 minutes ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Well it's an argument that won't go away I'm afraid especially if you're placing a weather station close to obstacles of accurateness. 

Maybe you can just live in your own little alternate reality where the record temperature is only 36C. 

This isn’t the correct thread for asinine ramblings about Heathrow. Start a separate thread perhaps.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 1

Posted
19 minutes ago, cheese said:

I gather all previous complaints have been about the runway. That's a red herring.  It's over 100m away. That would not even stop it achieving Class 1 status.  Heathrow Airport fails due to lot and lots of heating junk within 30m  - and even 10m  - that was not there 50 years ago and knocks it down to Class 4. They could move it 30m towards the runway and away from all the new heating junk and make it a much better station at Class 2,  more in line with its historic readings.

Edited by Aleman
  • Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, cheese said:

Maybe you can just live in your own little alternate reality where the record temperature is only 36C. 

This isn’t the correct thread for asinine ramblings about Heathrow. Start a separate thread perhaps.

Ok bury your head in the sand instead of facing up to reality.

• Like 2

Posted
10 minutes ago, cheese said:

Already did, thanks - increasing clutter too close to some well known "hot" weather stations that could give unrepresentative readings:

Edited by Aleman
  • Like 1