Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2019 - Moans, Ramps, Chat etc

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and blisteringly hot
1 hour ago, East Lancs Rain said:

This. I can't understand why so many people in the UK moan about the weather on an almost daily basis, when they could very easily just move abroad.

As for me, yes I do moan about the weather sometimes but I try to remember that many countries around the world have to endure extreme heat/cold for many months of the year or even all year round. I appreciate our temperature climate. Wet and windy weather isn't pleasant but at least it's better than 30+ temperatures for many months then below 0 for many months.

Que? Easily just move abroad?  Is it that really easy?  OK for someone young with no established home.  How about the elderly, or those with medical conditions?  Given the current political climate how long will your EHIC card last?   There's the distinct possibility that expat Brits could be deported from the Costas to the UK.  Where would they able to buy or rent suitable accommodation given the chronic shortage of housing?

Sadly I was pressured by family not to do I wanted - leave the lousy British climate behind for good.  Now it's too late.

Edited by Wildswimmer Pete
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

A thoroughly pleasant day today it has to be said. Another washout tomorrow though!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
3 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Apart from the sun hours, that July/August temperature/rainfall average sounds like something you would expect abroad, not in the UK. No wonder the weathermen are always talking about warm weather in the capital!

For comparison purposes, here is the climate of where my mother originally comes from: 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tynemouth#Climate

Similar rainfall/sunshine averages but look at the difference in temperatures!

... but expecting one thing for the UK as a whole is silly anyway. Those temperatures are pretty standard in the south, especially the warm southeast. Obviously further northwest, one would expect a good few degrees below what is recorded in the southeast. I would actually expect higher temperatures than that across a large swathe of southern and central Europe, perhaps lower in Scandinavia and the Baltic. A number of places abroad are also wetter in summer than London/SE England/East Anglia.

3 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

This. I can't understand why so many people in the UK moan about the weather on an almost daily basis, when they could very easily just move abroad.

As for me, yes I do moan about the weather sometimes but I try to remember that many countries around the world have to endure extreme heat/cold for many months of the year or even all year round. I appreciate our temperature climate. Wet and windy weather isn't pleasant but at least it's better than 30+ temperatures for many months then below 0 for many months.

People moan about the weather in the UK because 9/10 it disappoints. I'm sure if it was sunnier overall, a bit warmer in summer, and seasons behaved instead of autumnal conditions turning up in August or summery conditions arriving in October when they largely go unnoticed, then that would make a big difference.

It is not very easy to move abroad either so that is a very mal-informed opinion.

I still say that the UK (Brexit aside) would be an ideal place to live if not for the weather! Sometimes it provides interest, and every now and again it is beautiful, but so much of the year is just bland and boring.

• Like 2

Posted

The usual rain overnight now broken cloud and sunny intervals.  Current temp. 19C which is definitely below par for a mid-August afternoon.  Despite the temp. there is a chill in the strong breeze.  Looks like Autumn is back over the next few days.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
4 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

I get your point but moving abroad is a little more complicated than that Especially if retired or due to employment reasons. However, being in the EU made it fairly simple, part of the reason it was such a good idea. Now that the UK has blown its own feet off with a shotgun, it’ll be much more difficult. Luckily for me as a dual national, I shouldn’t have to return. But moving to a part of the country that has weather one prefers is a distinct possibility, though. If heat in the London area, for example is an issue, then moving to a coastal location would help a lot. My main issue on here is after a day or two of warmth, the moaning reaches ridiculous levels and people seem to forget the boring non weather or indeed utter crap we have to endure for the vast majority of the year. 

• Like 2

Posted
10 hours ago, Weather-history said:

Since 17th July and up to 13th August, a provisional rainfall total of around a staggering 174mm. I reckon it is has been the wettest mid July-mid August since at least 1931 for the NW England and N Wales region

Manchester Summer Indices 

Just 68.2mm in the same time period here. It shows the power of the Pennines!

The summer index here at the moment is 213, which is worse than every summer since 2000 except 2008, 2011 and 2012. Even 2007 managed a summer index of 221 as the August was good.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
48 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

I get your point but moving abroad is a little more complicated than that Especially if retired or due to employment reasons. However, being in the EU made it fairly simple, part of the reason it was such a good idea. Now that the UK has blown its own feet off with a shotgun, it’ll be much more difficult. Luckily for me as a dual national, I shouldn’t have to return. But moving to a part of the country that has weather one prefers is a distinct possibility, though. If heat in the London area, for example is an issue, then moving to a coastal location would help a lot. My main issue on here is after a day or two of warmth, the moaning reaches ridiculous levels and people seem to forget the boring non weather or indeed utter crap we have to endure for the vast majority of the year. 

its fairly easy to move anywhere in the world regardless if its the EU or not..i moved to Canada as have lots of people i work with who are also from the UK and Ireland..maybe its easier also if its an English speaking country...actually living abroad make you appreciate the weather in the UK ..You often see me moaning just as much about the weather here as you lot do about weather in the UK

• Like 1

Posted
26 minutes ago, cheeky_monkey said:

its fairly easy to move anywhere in the world regardless if its the EU or not..i moved to Canada as have lots of people i work with who are also from the UK and Ireland..maybe its easier also if its an English speaking country...actually living abroad make you appreciate the weather in the UK ..You often see me moaning just as much about the weather here as you lot do about weather in the UK

If that's you in your avatar then obviously you are young and can travel, given that you post from Canada and several towns in south England.  To quote from my earlier post elsewhere:

"Que? Easily just move abroad?  Is it that really easy?  OK for someone young with no established home.  How about the elderly, or those with medical conditions?  Given the current political climate how long will your EHIC card last?   There's the distinct possibility that expat Brits could be deported from the Costas to the UK.  Where would they able to buy or rent suitable accommodation given the chronic shortage of housing?"

The prospects for me moving to anywhere outside the EU would be even worse.  Canada wouldn't accept me as a.) I'm old and b.) have serious heart condition.

Edited by Wildswimmer Pete

Posted

This morning I walked to work at 6.30am, in semi-darkness, during a heavy downpour, wearing my thick winter coat and it felt like bonfire night was just around the corner.  I arrived at work (Tesco) absolutely sodden and cold to see the xmas family grab bags of Roses, Quality Street chocolates on sale, it felt like xmas was.just around the corner.  Currently it's a whopping 15C, a very pleasant evening and the sun is out and reassuring me that I haven't slept through the rest of August and the whole of Sept and Oct!.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
38 minutes ago, Wildswimmer Pete said:

If that's you in your avatar then obviously you are young and can travel, given that you post from Canada and several towns in south England.  To quote from my earlier post elsewhere:

"Que? Easily just move abroad?  Is it that really easy?  OK for someone young with no established home.  How about the elderly, or those with medical conditions?  Given the current political climate how long will your EHIC card last?   There's the distinct possibility that expat Brits could be deported from the Costas to the UK.  Where would they able to buy or rent suitable accommodation given the chronic shortage of housing?"

The prospects for me moving to anywhere outside the EU would be even worse.  Canada wouldn't accept me as a.) I'm old and b.) have serious heart condition.

that's the legend Bobby Moore not i...the places i note are places i have lived in over the course of my life pretty much..i wasn't talking about individuals more as a generalization on living abroad.. its hugely difficult to move in the UK if you are old or have a medical condition let alone abroad...but why anyone would move just because of the weather is beyond me?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

On the subject of moving if I could move to somewhere it would be the little known capital of Greenland called Nuuk. They have long snowy Winters & cool to chilly Summers. No heat thankfully. But it wouldn't be just for the weather, it just seems a nice place to live without crowds of people everywhere you go but not too remote either. But alas I have lived in this country all my life so it wouldn't work out going there now. Too late.

Nuuk climate https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuuk#Climate

Edited by Frost HoIIow
  • Like 4

Posted

I've got to say, if it comes off with a warm up at the end of August...I will for one be absolutely glad! I'm away staying and visiting family in Birmingham the last few days of the month into September and happy I won't be needing any brollies! Get to go places when it's nice. 

• Like 1

Posted

Manchester Summer Indices 

1954 143
1907 147
1956 155
1912 156
1924 158
2012 164
2008 168
1987 169
1946 170
1909 171
1931 173
1978 173
1980 173
1920 174
1923 174
2007 174
1927 175
1948 176
1938 177
1922 178
2011 179
1985 180
1958 184
1972 185
1916 188
1986 189
1965 189
2016 189
1910 190
1936 190
1988 191
2010 191
1966 192
1998 192
2017 192
1953 193
2019 193 (up to 15th August)
1963 194
1993 194
2009 194
1902 195
1915 196
1981 196
1928 197
1962 197
1964 197
2004 197
1952 198
2000 198
1930 199
1974 199
1979 199 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: LP - Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards

Atlantic washout - the faint glimmer of a decent spell for the next weekends Bank Holiday has gone off the GPS for the time at least.

Summer Over - I'm ready for the first frosts and Indian Summers.

Lovely.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: LP - Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards
13 hours ago, Frost HoIIow said:

On the subject of moving if I could move to somewhere it would be the little known capital of Greenland called Nuuk. They have long snowy Winters & cool to chilly Summers. No heat thankfully. But it wouldn't be just for the weather, it just seems a nice place to live without crowds of people everywhere you go but not too remote either. But alas I have lived in this country all my life so it wouldn't work out going there now. Too late.

Nuuk climate https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuuk#Climate

All well and good you'll miss all that lampost watching and the inevitable disappointment - and also what about the Latics? :unsure2:

#coyw

Edited by Iceaxecrampon
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

It’s been lovely in Nuuk this summer - saw a video from there a couple of weeks back and it was 23c and clear blue sky better than here! Even Verkhoyansk is still low to mid twenties and sunny. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

It would just be nice to have a sunny and warm bank holiday weekend. Not too bothered what happens after that but it would benefit so many to have a settled one. 

Posted

This summer reminds me at times in terms of rainfall of a combination of summer 2007 for intensity and 2012 for prolongedness.

Provisional rainfall figures of 182mm for 17th July-14th August is just ridiculous!

Already over 300mm of rainfall for this summer up to the 14th August and there was a 3 week period in the middle when only about 8mm fell!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
On 15/08/2019 at 13:03, East Lancs Rain said:

Apart from the sun hours, that July/August temperature/rainfall average sounds like something you would expect abroad, not in the UK. No wonder the weathermen are always talking about warm weather in the capital!

For comparison purposes, here is the climate of where my mother originally comes from: 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tynemouth#Climate

Similar rainfall/sunshine averages but look at the difference in temperatures!

Tynemouth has almost no summer. The peak summer temperatures there are comparable to mid-May or late-Sep/early-Oct in London!

Posted

Monumentally vile August day. more like November.  Overnight temp 13C, currently 14.7C, breezy and heavy rain.  Yes, what passes for the British "summer" is already over.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.
1 hour ago, Weather-history said:

This summer reminds me at times in terms of rainfall of a combination of summer 2007 for intensity and 2012 for prolongedness.

Provisional rainfall figures of 182mm for 17th July-14th August is just ridiculous!

Already over 300mm of rainfall for this summer up to the 14th August and there was a 3 week period in the middle when only about 8mm fell!

might be a regional thing, but weve had more dry days then wet around 2/3 dry. . its just that when it rains - we got a lot! this is unlike 2012 that was wet most days.

Edited by mushymanrob