Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2019 - Moans, Ramps, Chat etc

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
1 hour ago, h2005__uk__ said:

Does anyone know where I can find data for daily sunshine hours?

I've found this on Meteociel but can't find a key for the colours used, plus I'd rather the data in tabular form if possible - https://www.meteociel.fr/observations-meteo/enso.php?region=uk

Thanks

It is on the monthly summary if the weather station is available, eg

http://www.meteociel.fr/climatologie/villes.php?code=3772

Does anybody know where I can get data like the above, but for Kew Gardens? Specifically sunshine data.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Proper soaker of a morning, nearly 10mm here already.

Posted
51 minutes ago, Nick L said:

Proper soaker of a morning, nearly 10mm here already.

LOL!!

10MM? Its hardly stopped raining here for a week Nick.

An absolutely horrendous 1st half of August round here, and thats being generous.

Its going to take an incredible turnaround to bring August into anything other than the disgusting category IMBY.

• Like 1

Posted
10 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

LOL!!

An absolutely horrendous 1st half of August round here, and thats being generous.

Its going to take an incredible turnaround to bring August into anything other than the disgusting category IMBY.

A soaker for Buckinghamshire I should have added!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
49 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

LOL!!

Think that's a bit harsh tbh, we've had quite a few dry days this August and there's been some sunny spells inbetween the rainy spells. Today was okay up until lunchtime but it's now pouring down, currently 14c, cat ouside but sheltering under the verander.

Edited by East Lancs Rain

Posted
3 hours ago, Summer Sun said:

It was a cold night last night with temps down to 3c in Aboyne, Scotland even the south dropped below 6c

In contrast it was a reliatively mild night here at 9.8c. Still really chilly for mid-August though!

Posted
16 hours ago, B87 said:

Since July 2006 here, I'd only describe July 2013 and July 2018 as freakishly hot. July 2010 managed a 25c average high, but was exceptionally cloudy. August 2016, June 2017, June 2018 were all warmer than average, but none had an average high of 25c or warmer. July 2019 was 25.5c here, mostly near average but with the heatwave at the end.

Even including those warm but not exceptional months, that's 7/40 summer months. Nothing spectacular.

You live in the South East but only managed 25c??  Reached 33c here in late July.

Posted
13 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

You live in the South East but only managed 25c??  Reached 33c here in late July.

No you misread, B87 said average high, not overall high.

• Like 1

Posted
19 minutes ago, Nick L said:

No you misread, B87 said average high, not overall high.

Yes, the average high was 25.5c. The month was mostly very close to average, with temps pushed up by the 3 day extreme heatwave late in the month (which saw temps up to 37.9c, equalling Heathrow's August 2003 record).

It was slightly wetter and cloudier than average too, with 50.8mm and 194.5 hrs. An unusual combination. A bit like July 2010, which was extremely cloudy but had a 25c average high.

http://www.meteociel.fr/climatologie/villes.php?code=3772&mois=7&annee=2019

Edited by B87
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow
32 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

In contrast it was a reliatively mild night here at 9.8c. Still really chilly for mid-August though!

My last minimum below 10c was back in may, I don’t usually drop below 14c in August 

Edited by Freeze

Posted
13 minutes ago, B87 said:

Yes, the average high was 25.5c. The month was mostly very close to average, with temps pushed up by the 3 day extreme heatwave late in the month (which saw temps up to 37.9c, equalling Heathrow's August 2003 record).

It was slightly wetter and cloudier than average too, with 50.8mm and 194.5 hrs. An unusual combination. A bit like July 2010, which was extremely cloudy but had a 25c average high.

http://www.meteociel.fr/climatologie/villes.php?code=3772&mois=7&annee=2019

So the average high was 25.5c.  And only 50 mm of rain? Sounds like tropical weather to me. I thought London averaged 22-23c in July.

Edited by East Lancs Rain

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and blisteringly hot

Yet another wretched August day.  Cold (just 15C), windy and heavy rain.  That's all we see over the past few "summers": rain, rain and yet more *%$£" rain. I'm talking about the rain that falls during usual waking hours before someone starts quoting stats at me.

Looks like August 2019 is rivalling August 1962, the nastiest August I can remember.

Edited by Wildswimmer Pete
  • Like 1

Posted
51 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

So the average high was 25.5c.  And only 50 mm of rain? Sounds like tropical weather to me. I thought London averaged 22-23c in July.

London averages 24c in July, 45mm rain (on 7 days) and 212 sun hours.

August so far has averaged 25c, but it looks as though that will fall rapidly soon. Maybe average or slightly above by months end if this unsettled spell disappears. August average in London is 23c.

June had an average high of 21.7c this year, vs the long term 21c. It was a very wet month, with over 80mm rainfall (45mm average), and only 170 hours of sun (204 average).

Edited by B87
  • Like 1

Posted

It's looking increasingly likely that the back end of August will be reasonable with "useable" weather. Bank holiday weekend prospects currently look good, which they would be as I'm on 12 hour shifts for each of the three days.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Fancy having a nice Easter AND August bank holiday. Some nice ones from the past:

archives-2017-8-28-12-0.png archives-2016-8-29-12-0.png archives-2013-8-26-12-0.png archives-2007-8-27-12-0.png archives-2005-8-29-12-0.png archives-2003-8-25-12-0.png archives-2002-8-26-12-0.png archives-2001-8-27-12-0.png

Notice the long gap between 2007 and 2013!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

Its been 16 years since the last 'Very good' August,looks ,will have to see if 2020 wil break that trend.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn
5 hours ago, hillbilly said:

Its been 16 years since the last 'Very good' August,looks ,will have to see if 2020 wil break that trend.

But in all fairness we say that every year, but here's hoping!

Posted

Since 17th July and up to 13th August, a provisional rainfall total of around a staggering 174mm. I reckon it is has been the wettest mid July-mid August since at least 1931 for the NW England and N Wales region

Manchester Summer Indices 

1954 143
1907 147
1956 155
1912 156
1924 158
2012 164
2008 168
1987 169
1946 170
1909 171
1931 173
1978 173
1980 173
1920 174
1923 174
2007 174
1927 175
1948 176
1938 177
1922 178
2011 179
1985 180
1958 184
1972 185
1916 188
1986 189
1965 189
2016 189
1910 190
1936 190
1988 191
2010 191
1966 192
1998 192
2017 192
1953 193
1963 194
1993 194
2009 194
2019 194 (up to 14th August)
1902 195
1915 196
1981 196
1928 197
1962 197
1964 197
2004 197
1952 198
2000 198
1930 199
1974 199
1979 199 

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, Weather-history said:

Since 17th July and up to 13th August, a provisional rainfall total of around a staggering 174mm. I reckon it is has been the wettest mid July-mid August since at least 1931 for the NW England and N Wales region

Manchester Summer Indices 

[clipped]

Where did you get the temp and sun data from for these indices?

Posted
21 hours ago, B87 said:

London averages 24c in July, 45mm rain (on 7 days) and 212 sun hours.

August so far has averaged 25c, but it looks as though that will fall rapidly soon. Maybe average or slightly above by months end if this unsettled spell disappears. August average in London is 23c.

June had an average high of 21.7c this year, vs the long term 21c. It was a very wet month, with over 80mm rainfall (45mm average), and only 170 hours of sun (204 average).

Apart from the sun hours, that July/August temperature/rainfall average sounds like something you would expect abroad, not in the UK. No wonder the weathermen are always talking about warm weather in the capital!

For comparison purposes, here is the climate of where my mother originally comes from: 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tynemouth#Climate

Similar rainfall/sunshine averages but look at the difference in temperatures!

Posted
On 13 August 2019 at 21:09, stainesbloke said:

Agree with you, would be lovely to have some more warmth over the next 6 weeks or so. It definitely is starting to feel like Summer is slowly fading which is slightly depressing. I do quite like Autumn for many reasons, hopefully it’s a sunny one for much of it with fogs, frosts and some storms later on. If I still lived in the UK, I’d be trying not to think about the fact that there could be 7 months of wet and windy garbage coming up, though. One reason I find Summer so precious, when most of the year the weather is pants.

This. I can't understand why so many people in the UK moan about the weather on an almost daily basis, when they could very easily just move abroad.

As for me, yes I do moan about the weather sometimes but I try to remember that many countries around the world have to endure extreme heat/cold for many months of the year or even all year round. I appreciate our temperature climate. Wet and windy weather isn't pleasant but at least it's better than 30+ temperatures for many months then below 0 for many months.

• Like 2