Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
Just now, East Lancs Rain said:

And I thought 17c was cold. Lol.

17c is hot in Yorkshire!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
5 hours ago, prolongedSnowLover said:

Folk have got spoilt with the hot weather in the past summers that can only be described as freakish heat. Nice to be able to sleep at night this month.

The lakes should be a lot fresher and cooler too after the rains.

Disagree with this. In the past decade I only remember June 2010, July 2013, June 2014, July 2014, June 2018 and July 2018 as the only summer months with any memorable heat.

Posted
2 minutes ago, markyo said:

That's the difference between Lancastrians and Yorkshire folk....but your probably right!

I often see a lot of people wearing winter coats here when it's in the mid teens or whenever there's a threat of rain lol. But I've been up to the North East and seen people wearing t-shirts on a cold foggy day. Like being in a different world!

Posted
5 minutes ago, markyo said:

17c is hot in Yorkshire!

Not indoors it isn't! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
26 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

I often see a lot of people wearing winter coats here when it's in the mid teens or whenever there's a threat of rain lol. But I've been up to the North East and seen people wearing t-shirts on a cold foggy day. Like being in a different world!

Winter coat usually comes off around the 12c mark for me. In sunshine it will be lower than this (maybe 8-9c). In still air, I can go out without a coat up to around -2c.

• Like 1

Posted
15 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

Winter coat usually comes off around the 12c mark for me. In sunshine it will be lower than this (maybe 8-9c). In still air, I can go out without a coat up to around -2c.

For most of last winter I was okay in a t-shirt and hoodie with no coat on top. But occasionally I got the odd "where's your coat" comment. But I have good circulation and I find my body just gets used to the lower temperatures anyway. I don't wear shorts in winter though - that's a whole different level!

Posted
7 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

I don't wear shorts in winter though - that's a whole different level!

Afraid i'm at that whole different level,shorts all year round.

Posted
10 minutes ago, markyo said:

Afraid i'm at that whole different level,shorts all year round.

Even during Beast from the East conditions?? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and blisteringly hot
1 hour ago, East Lancs Rain said:

For most of last winter I was okay in a t-shirt and hoodie with no coat on top. But occasionally I got the odd "where's your coat" comment. But I have good circulation and I find my body just gets used to the lower temperatures anyway. I don't wear shorts in winter though - that's a whole different level!

I do as I don't like long pants.  Also in winter I don't have to wash long pants because they a covered with mud etc.  Legs are washed in the bath and easily dried.  I do have an electrically heated jacket for cold weather.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Even during Beast from the East conditions?? 

Sadly yes,the cold doesn't bother me at all,the heat on the other hand,i'm a wimp,total wimp. That i literally can't deal with.

• Like 2

Posted

For me it's all about wind strength and precipitation. I'll wear a winter coat at 11C and rain but can quite happily go out with no coat at 5c sunny and a light breeze. The windchill during that BFTE episode was so perishing that I pity anyone without a coat in it. Pretty much instant hypothermia with any time in it exposed. It froze buckets of water solid in a matter of hours. Weather like that also increases the risk of heart attacks as the blood thickens when the skin is exposed to such temperatures.

I remember walking home against the wind during that spell and I couldn't feel my face by the time I got home. Could barely talk because the cold (wind chill) had made my face so numb.

Edited by CreweCold

Posted
5 hours ago, CreweCold said:

Saying that, we'll have another hurrah of summer I'm sure.

Yeah September.  Just when we don’t want it!

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Don said:

I'm past being overly concerned by then. Yes the thermometer can read mid 20s but the feel is completely different. The sun isn't intense and I can bear it. It's the mixture of mid summer sun beating down AND the high temperatures that gets to me the most.

• Like 2

Posted
20 minutes ago, Don said:

I for one will be hoping for a late blast of heat in late August and early to mid September. I don’t want full autumn weather until after mid September. I have my light jacket on today for the first time since early July, so that’s a telling sign the weather is already starting to change.

i can’t get over how many people on this forum wear just t shirts and shorts in winter. I have cold hands once temps fall below 20c, but feel the need for a jacket around 17-19c, the winter jacket comes out when we drop below 13c, and if I’m outside working in those temps, I’ll have a hat on.

• Like 1

Posted
33 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

I'm past being overly concerned by then. Yes the thermometer can read mid 20s but the feel is completely different. The sun isn't intense and I can bear it. It's the mixture of mid summer sun beating down AND the high temperatures that gets to me the most.

I’m the other way, I really love the extreme heat, or when temps top around 28-30c, but granted, even 34c in late June and anything north of 35 is too humid for me, especially in London. However, if I’m by the sea, I need temps to be at least 22c and above to enjoy it. 

Everyone has a different tolerance level. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
21 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

I for one will be hoping for a late blast of heat in late August and early to mid September. I don’t want full autumn weather until after mid September. I have my light jacket on today for the first time since early July, so that’s a telling sign the weather is already starting to change.

i can’t get over how many people on this forum wear just t shirts and shorts in winter. I have cold hands once temps fall below 20c, but feel the need for a jacket around 17-19c, the winter jacket comes out when we drop below 13c, and if I’m outside working in those temps, I’ll have a hat on.

I'm almost 70 but I still wear shorts in the Winter. I even did when temps got down to -17C here in 2010. When I walk about I soon get warm, granted I am 16 stone so probably don't feel the cold like a 12 stone man would. Of course I get the occasional comment of "are you not cold?" But I often see people in Winter coats with furry hoods when temps are 17C. I think to myself "are you not warm?".... personally I'd be sweating buckets.

• Like 2

Posted
26 minutes ago, Frost HoIIow said:

I'm almost 70 but I still wear shorts in the Winter. I even did when temps got down to -17C here in 2010. When I walk about I soon get warm, granted I am 16 stone so probably don't feel the cold like a 12 stone man would. Of course I get the occasional comment of "are you not cold?" But I often see people in Winter coats with furry hoods when temps are 17C. I think to myself "are you not warm?".... personally I'd be sweating buckets.

Me too. Often middle aged women I notice. Often accompanied by children in shorts and t-shirts, which makes it look even more odd.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Sunny76 said:

No one said anything about wearing a t-shirt outside in winter, I assume they'll be wearing a jacket or a hoodie or something with them to keep thier upper body warm. But it just goes to show - we're all different.

As for me, I generally try to hold off the winter coat until we're well into single digits. However, I usually wear a hoodie if it's below 17c or so.

Edited by East Lancs Rain

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts
36 minutes ago, Frost HoIIow said:

I have a word to describe people like you..'Lizards'.Not to be demeaning but it just means a cold blooded person who does not feel the cold.I think I am right in thinking most of these types cannot cope with anything above 15 deg as a result.Equally people a little more like me don't really like cold but can cope with any amount of heat.Pesonally am not as bad as most with cold but any type of breeze that goes with it goes straight through me.How I used to cope living high up on those pennine moors in winter ..BRRRRRR

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
10 hours ago, prolongedSnowLover said:

Folk have got spoilt with the hot weather in the past summers that can only be described as freakish heat. Nice to be able to sleep at night this month.

The lakes should be a lot fresher and cooler too after the rains.

Since July 2006 here, I'd only describe July 2013 and July 2018 as freakishly hot. July 2010 managed a 25c average high, but was exceptionally cloudy. August 2016, June 2017, June 2018 were all warmer than average, but none had an average high of 25c or warmer. July 2019 was 25.5c here, mostly near average but with the heatwave at the end.

Even including those warm but not exceptional months, that's 7/40 summer months. Nothing spectacular.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
1 hour ago, Don said:

First half of September is warmer than the first half of June pretty much throughout the UK, so it is to be expected. At least if you are looking for warmth in the first half of June anyway.

Edited by B87

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
1 hour ago, Sunny76 said:

Agree with you, would be lovely to have some more warmth over the next 6 weeks or so. It definitely is starting to feel like Summer is slowly fading which is slightly depressing. I do quite like Autumn for many reasons, hopefully it’s a sunny one for much of it with fogs, frosts and some storms later on. If I still lived in the UK, I’d be trying not to think about the fact that there could be 7 months of wet and windy garbage coming up, though. One reason I find Summer so precious, when most of the year the weather is pants.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
11 hours ago, stainesbloke said:

Agree with you, would be lovely to have some more warmth over the next 6 weeks or so. It definitely is starting to feel like Summer is slowly fading which is slightly depressing. I do quite like Autumn for many reasons, hopefully it’s a sunny one for much of it with fogs, frosts and some storms later on. If I still lived in the UK, I’d be trying not to think about the fact that there could be 7 months of wet and windy garbage coming up, though. One reason I find Summer so precious, when most of the year the weather is pants.

You may get some salvation - weather into the last week of august looking much better. Temperatures still open to debate, but settling down looks to be order of the day.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
24 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

You may get some salvation - weather into the last week of august looking much better. Temperatures still open to debate, but settling down looks to be order of the day.

That’s good. Doesn’t have to be a heatwave but sunshine and warmth would be nice again. Currently chilly and wet in W London

• Like 1

Posted

Does anyone know where I can find data for daily sunshine hours?

I've found this on Meteociel but can't find a key for the colours used, plus I'd rather the data in tabular form if possible - https://www.meteociel.fr/observations-meteo/enso.php?region=uk

Thanks