Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2019 - Moans, Ramps, Chat etc

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

Woke to a lovely 15c in bedroom,no air con,windows open and 2 fans running gently...Perfect Fingers crossed summer stays like this for the rest of its visit.

• Like 2

Posted

Had some unexpected thunder and lightning last night. Rain was pretty intense mind.

I dont want to alleged warm up to happen next week. Just get us into autumn...but give us some dry weather to end August. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and blisteringly hot

Yet another cold. wet and dreary Autumn day.  Overnight min10.7C, currently 13.7C.  Just had to run the heating for an hour to take the chill off my place.  This what we laughingly describe as "high Summer."  I pity the schoolkids who have to take their holidays at home rather than in warmer, sunnier climes. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold

Folk have got spoilt with the hot weather in the past summers that can only be described as freakish heat. Nice to be able to sleep at night this month.

The lakes should be a lot fresher and cooler too after the rains.

Edited by prolongedSnowLover
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.
36 minutes ago, prolongedSnowLover said:

Folk have got spoilt with the hot weather in the past summers that can only be described as freakish heat. Nice to be able to sleep at night this month.

The lakes should be a lot fresher and cooler too after the rains.

what a strange thing to say... we have only had 3 decent (hot) summers since 2003, as the manchester summer indices posted above highlights. and 8 of the last 12 have been much worse then this summer. so i dont understand how we have "been spoilt" , hot summer weather is uncommon.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

does anyone remember who predicted a wetter then average summer, with less sunshine but more thundery outbreaks including flash flooding? some internet blogger i think...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, cold, cold and errrr......cold. I am, unashamedly, a cold fan.

Lovely waking up to a 'chill' this morning. It felt really fresh. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
3 hours ago, nn2013 said:

Had some unexpected thunder and lightning last night. Rain was pretty intense mind.

I dont want to alleged warm up to happen next week. Just get us into autumn...but give us some dry weather to end August. 

I’m with you. I wish time would stop being wasted and the rest of August be largely settled and warm before a gentle slide into autumn through September.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Starting to feel decidedly back endish now. Like those days in mid Feb when the sun feels nice out of the wind. 

Saying that, we'll have another hurrah of summer I'm sure.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

All I can say there must be BIG variations from north to south, WildswimmerPete comes from Runcorn which isn't that far north in the UK (near Liverpool) seems to be getting the rough end of this summer as well as some folk in northern central areas towards Lincolnshire and as we know parts of Scotland have been deluged over the last couple of weeks. Other posters towards the West Country, southern areas and particularly the south east and East Anglia have had generally pleasant conditions just with the odd unsettled day and been largely dry up until Friday last week for the last 6 weeks. So to summarise big variations in such a small country...interesting to note how synoptically the weather has largely come from west to east since the start of July which hasn't always been the case over recent summers which I'm sure will break in the next few weeks and punting on a more settled spell with more anti-cyclonic weather end of the month.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
6 hours ago, Summer Sun said:

Possibly the best day of the week today for many

Unbroken sunshine here in the NE after overnight rain 

Pretty much the same here in NW, rain overnight, overnight minimum again of 9.8°C. Mostly sunny here with a bit of fair weather cloud. It's breezy though and it's only 16°C so nothing to get excited about in mid August.

Posted
6 hours ago, markyo said:

Woke to a lovely 15c in bedroom,no air con,windows open and 2 fans running gently...Perfect Fingers crossed summer stays like this for the rest of its visit.

Sounds bloody freezing!  Are you a polar bear?

Posted
5 hours ago, Wildswimmer Pete said:

Yet another cold. wet and dreary Autumn day.  Overnight min10.7C, currently 13.7C.  Just had to run the heating for an hour to take the chill off my place.  This what we laughingly describe as "high Summer."  I pity the schoolkids who have to take their holidays at home rather than in warmer, sunnier climes. 

Is it? I've always considered high summer to be mid-late July. That's when the highest temperatures tend to be. It's almost been 2 months since the longest day as well.

• Like 2

Posted
19 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Sounds bloody freezing!  Are you a polar bear?

Normally in winter i try to keep bedroom bout 11 to 12c but even then still have the 2 fans on,can't stand a bedroom much over 18c........polar bear no,Eskimo may be

Edited by markyo

Posted
37 minutes ago, markyo said:

Normally in winter i try to keep bedroom bout 11 to 12c but even then still have the 2 fans on,can't stand a bedroom much over 18c........polar bear no,Eskimo may be

I think me and most other people would become hypothermic if we stayed overnight at your house lol.

Posted
1 hour ago, Froze were the Days said:

All I can say there must be BIG variations from north to south, WildswimmerPete comes from Runcorn which isn't that far north in the UK (near Liverpool) seems to be getting the rough end of this summer as well as some folk in northern central areas towards Lincolnshire and as we know parts of Scotland have been deluged over the last couple of weeks. Other posters towards the West Country, southern areas and particularly the south east and East Anglia have had generally pleasant conditions just with the odd unsettled day and been largely dry up until Friday last week for the last 6 weeks. So to summarise big variations in such a small country...interesting to note how synoptically the weather has largely come from west to east since the start of July which hasn't always been the case over recent summers which I'm sure will break in the next few weeks and punting on a more settled spell with more anti-cyclonic weather end of the month.

Hmmm... Not so sure about that. Here in East Lancs, our summers are wet, cool and miserable at the best of times, but I think this summer, if you take out the 1st half of June and the last few days, has been pretty decent here. In July, it was generally 19-22C most days which is fine by me. We had a few wet/cooler days but we have had quite a a lot of sunny days around 21c this summer which is perfect weather as far as I'm concerned. 

And I don't think it's been as westerly as you think. Summers 2016/17 were very poor here and were very Atlantic Driven, they had a lot of brisk westerly winds with frequent weather fronts, rain bands and showers. This summer has been quite a lot better than those two summers imo. The rain has tended to fall less frequently in the form of sharp heavy showers or the odd wet day then dry for the next few days rather than active weather fronts most days. At one point in July my grass was starting to turn slightly brown before the thunderstroms came. That never happened in Summers 2015, 16 or 17.

Edited by East Lancs Rain

Posted
6 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

I think me and most other people would become hypothermic if we stayed overnight at your house lol.

44 minutes ago, markyo said:

I love a cold bedroom, don't get me wrong.

I have an aircon that is set to 18oC all summer long but 11/12oC.

Nope. That's way too cold! 

Although I would still take 11/12oC over a 30oC bedroom any day! Cosy under a thick duvet should be the only way to sleep

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, ARW WeatherMan said:

Cosy under a thick duvet should be the only way to sleep

oh yes,the colder the better. I normally shut the windows when it gets down to single figures in the bedroom

Posted
1 hour ago, Turnedoutniceagain said:

It's about time the Mods closed this thread down - Summer is CLEARLY over !!

Arrr don't say that. It may be a bit cool and breezy but the sun still has some strength in it.

Posted
1 minute ago, markyo said:

oh yes,the colder the better. I normally shut the windows when it gets down to single figures in the bedroom

You wouldn't like it at my college then. A lot of the classrooms are around 24c. Now that is too hot!

Posted
2 minutes ago, markyo said:

And I thought 17c was cold. Lol.

Posted
10 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

That's the difference between Lancastrians and Yorkshire folk....but your probably right!

• Like 1