Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2019 - Moans, Ramps, Chat etc

Posted

I've seen the River Wharfe was just trying to top its dykes south of Tadcaster a few hours ago after being nearly dry on Thursday. York is starting to flood in the usual spots. Oddly, we've had no rain today and a couple of brief showers yesterday that barely wet the floor. All the rain is must be up on the North York Moors

https://www.farsondigitalwatercams.com/locations/york

It does not seem like such a hot summer here. I'd call it mixed to warm and it could end up very average on the current outlook. 7 highs over 25C at Topcliffe is decent but 5 lows of 5.0C or lower offset that pretty well. It wasn't until July 22nd when we stopped closing windows for the fresh nights and there have only been a few nights that were warm enough to think about aircon and we have not actually used ours at all. (Perhaps I should test it.) I've used air con in the car several times in the last couple of weeks, more for humidity than actual heat.

https://www.ogimet.com/cgi-bin/gsynres?lang=en&ind=03265&ano=2019&mes=8&day=11&hora=18&min=0&ndays=36

https://www.ogimet.com/cgi-bin/gsynres?lang=en&ind=03265&ano=2019&mes=7&day=6&hora=18&min=0&ndays=36

It's worth remembering that slightly warmer than average temperatures might not feel warmer than average if it's due to cloudy southerlies with less sun.

Currently 14.7C here under clear skies and feeling distinctly chilly in the WNW breeze.

Edited by Aleman

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold

Well to add insult to injury, it's been wall to wall cloud all weekend but just as it gets dark, the cloud magically disappears and the skies are now completely clear. Max temp today a more than pathetic 14.5°C. It's currently 11.6°C now. so if it stays clear all night it will probably dip into single digits in the first time for weeks.

Will probably be back to cloudy when I open the curtains tomorrow lol.

• Like 1

Posted

Regarding how this summer has been so far, I would describe it as a sort of sandwich summer. The cold and wet 1st of of June, followed by a decent July, followed by (what is very likely) and cool and wet 2nd half of August. Kind of the opposite to summer 2009 which had a decent June and August but a poor July.

• Like 1

Posted
On 10 August 2019 at 20:51, nn2013 said:

I remember September being fairly warm down here in 2017, but that is probably just me (hard to believe that's two years ago!!) When was the last time we had a proper October is the question? 2012 maybe?  I'm getting tired of August weather in October...but then again, if we get a copy of that then I hope for a cold and snowy winter.  

Not sure what you're talking about really, as October here usually does feel like October! I remember having one sunny 18°C day last October and one day above 20°C but it was mostly cloudy and windy. The rest was all low to mid teens and then single digits by the end of the month - not what I would call August weather! In fact we get more October weather in August than we do August weather in October.

As for September 2017, it was a horrible month here. Extremely wet, very cloudy and barely any warmth whatsoever.

Posted
5 hours ago, Wildswimmer Pete said:

Had a brief glimpse of the sun before the cloud returned.  Managed the stellar heights of 17C.  I've always asserted that in my area, August is an Autumn month.  So "Summer 2019" turned out to be just three hot days at the end of July.

Lucky! A pathetic 14.5°C here, my coldest day since Thursday 13th June!

August does tend to feel autumnal here too.

• Like 1

Posted
12 hours ago, markyo said:

Loving the freshness to the current weather,looking like it will stay like this for much of August,perfect! First weekend for weeks i've been able to turn the air con off at home,.....can afford to eat now! Fingers crossed that's the last of the hot humid uncomfortable weather this summer will make us endure,counting the days now till Autumn,the best season of the year by far.

Well if you enjoy 16° weather with thick grey clouds, brisk winds and squally showers then good for you, most of us prefer something that more resembles summer.

You sound a bit like my mother actually. Shes been complaining that it's been too hot for weeks. Constantly flinging open windows all the time. She actually enjoyed summer 2017 which was a horrible summer imo. It was 17° and sunny intervals on Wednesday afternoon with a moderate breeze and she thought it was perfect summer weather. Mind you, she does come from the north east where people go out at night in the cold in t-shirts. Lol.

Posted
5 hours ago, cheese said:

A pigeon had a nest in one of the trees in my garden - the wind on Saturday decimated it.  RIP baby pigeons.

Windy weather at this time of year is so pointless and evil.

And yeah it’s no surprise that this thread is dead, nothing interesting at all in the output unless you enjoy boring cold weather. Luckily I’m off to Lanzarote next week with my sister, can’t wait to get away from this depressing sh&thole.

Lucky you! I'm going on holiday to Barmouth on the west coast of Wales for a week. I'm normally quite lucky with the weather on holiday (had a cracking week during the last week of August 2017 in Paignton, Devon) but i don't think I'll be quite so lucky this time...

You wouldn't like my black cat then as he kills something almost every day.  Birds, frogs, voles, field mice, pretty much anything. He even got a wood pigeon once.

Edited by East Lancs Rain

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
29 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Well if you enjoy 16° weather with thick grey clouds, brisk winds and squally showers then good for you, most of us prefer something that more resembles summer.

You sound a bit like my mother actually. Shes been complaining that it's been too hot for weeks. Constantly flinging open windows all the time. She actually enjoyed summer 2017 which was a horrible summer imo. It was 17° and sunny intervals on Wednesday afternoon with a moderate breeze and she thought it was perfect summer weather. Mind you, she does come from the north east where people go out at night in the cold in t-shirts. Lol.

I quite enjoyed summer (and Autumn actually) 2017 too. A hot June two weeks (but a dry feeling heat) followed by a July that just got cooler and wetter as it went on. August and September devoid of anything warm.

This summer though really has not been too bad Since about June 20th. Most of July felt quite nice with only one oppressive week, other than that any unpleasant spells have amounted to an odd day or two (in terms of warm humidity).

Posted

Actually, the unusual weather conditions throughout this spring and summer have been very interesting from an observational/ meteorological point of view, regardless of individual weather preferences.

A point, which in the greater scheme of things/climate, may be missed.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
5 hours ago, Weather-history said:

If it was a feral pigeon...no tears. 

Wood pigeon. There are no feral pigeons around here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
8 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

It was 17° and sunny intervals on Wednesday afternoon with a moderate breeze and she thought it was perfect summer weather.

Your Mum knows what shes talking about. That sounds perfect.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Still very much summer here in Prague. Rained all day on Saturday but felt warm. Then 28C and sunny yesterday, followed by a very impressive thunderstorm last night with loads of lightning, shotgun thunder and torrential rain. Love it  

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and blisteringly hot

I was going to post that "Autumn is already waiting in the wings" but that's now incorrect.  Given the chilly night we had (min 10.9C) Autumn has now arrived.  Already the standard pattern is being followed again.  Cold night, cloud bubbling up at breakfast time with the current temp 14C and I'll bet the cloud melts away around 8pm to lead to another unseasonably cold night.  This is supposed to be "high Summer".   Indoor here 17C, a degree lower and I'll have to put on the heating as I'm not a spring chicken anymore and have a heart condition.

• Like 1

Posted

I've tested run our central heating to bleed radiators after our room temp dipped below 19C. The low outside was 10.1C.

Bits of snow appearing on Norwegian Mountains. Some showers for next couple of days with snow line down to around 4000 feet:

https://www.j2ski.com/snow_forecast/Norway/Strynefjellet_snow.html

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.
19 minutes ago, Aleman said:

I've tested run our central heating to bleed radiators after our room temp dipped below 19C. The low outside was 10.1C.

Bits of snow appearing on Norwegian Mountains. Some showers for next couple of days with snow line down to around 4000 feet:

https://www.j2ski.com/snow_forecast/Norway/Strynefjellet_snow.html

I did that yesterday, I cheated and turned the radiator water temp down to 35ºC and ran them for a couple of hours. Loving this weather, it's pleasant to work in without breaking out in a sweat and spending a fortune on cold drinks.

I'm not putting the heat to bed just yet, we've had it appear well into October.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow

Well that really felt like Autumn this morning , trees now at their darkest greens bar the horse chestnut which have rust spots appearing in the local parks. 

August had lived up to its stinker reputation again this year so far

Posted
10 hours ago, markyo said:

Your Mum knows what shes talking about. That sounds perfect.

Yep. 16°C, Sunny Intervals, stiff NW Breeze. That’s more like it - a proper British summer at last. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Thought it was going to be the coldest day for a couple of months here today when it was 14°C at lunchtime but eventually managed to briefly touch 20°C early this evening. 

Posted

Dreadful summer weather today. It’s deteriorated so quickly since early August. Now we are left with wet and dull cool days.

Hopefully another hot spell isn’t too far away, and I think there will be another one before the end of August and early September, before the true autumn shows itself.

Posted

Manchester Summer Indices 

1954 143
1907 147
1956 155
1912 156
1924 158
2012 164
2008 168
1987 169
1946 170
1909 171