Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2019 - Moans, Ramps, Chat etc

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
12 hours ago, mushymanrob said:

i dont think june was poor... apart from the second week that is, whilst it wasnt 'hot', there was plenty of decent, dry, sunny, fresh days

july was pretty decent too

august is august and shouldnt be counted as a summer month! lol..

i think weather historys index is pretty accurate tbh... and this summer will end up 'average' overall.

Nothing average here. We're on course to beat 2012's wetness should August come in wetter than average. We recorded almost 30mm just in one day yesterday.

• Like 1

Posted

Manchester Summer Indices 

1954 143
1907 147
1956 155
1912 156
1924 158
2012 164
2008 168
1987 169
1946 170
1909 171
1931 173
1978 173
1980 173
1920 174
1923 174
2007 174
1927 175
1948 176
1938 177
1922 178
2011 179
1985 180
1958 184
1972 185
1916 188
1986 189
1965 189
2016 189
1910 190
1936 190
1988 191
2010 191
1966 192
1998 192
2017 192
1953 193
1963 194
1993 194
2009 194
1902 195
1915 196
1981 196
1928 197
1962 197
1964 197
2004 197
2019 197 (up to 9th August)
1952 198
2000 198
1930 199
1974 199
1979 199 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.
14 hours ago, hillbilly said:

Have you just got back from the pub? How ever does August not count being a summer month? Yes we get plenty of poor August's but not to warrant that claim.

some of you need to learn to lighten up..... that comment was clearly in jest, hence the 'lol'.

3 hours ago, CreweCold said:

Nothing average here. We're on course to beat 2012's wetness should August come in wetter than average. We recorded almost 30mm just in one day yesterday.

depends on which statistics you use to measure how 'good' a summer it has been..

yes, it has been a lot wetter then 'average' in many places, but measuring summer by rainfall alone is  misleading. after all, we could get 30 days in july of 30c sunshine and drought, only to have a thunderstorm bring double the months rainfall on the 31st..... would that make it a 'washout' month?... extreme example i know but our rain this summer seems to have come on fewer days but heavier. unlike 2012 which was wet nearly every day..

so overall, taking into account dry sunny days/wet days/temps (day and night) and allowing for local variations, this summer will be pretty average, as the manchester summer indices are suggesting.

it would of course be interesting to see what other areas would show, but i dont think theyll be much different from the manchester one.

this is my 30th year of being self employed and working outside... so far ive enjoyed more days of decent 'working conditions' then id expect in an average summer.

of course these are just my observations and im not suggesting they apply everywhere.

ps..... are conditions in crewe really that much different from manchester?...

Edited by mushymanrob
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow deprived so anything white.

[Not considering the wider long term picture...] you have go to love our weather.. so changeable, one week really warm and feels like Southern Europe and roll on a week or two and you get a day that feels so autumnal that you have to come on netweather and see if anyone has their heating on yet and what the northern hemisphere snow coverage is looking like.

Edited by fUnKy

Posted
6 hours ago, CreweCold said:

June was extremely wet unlike any month I`ve seen before and cold especially the first half all thanks to that deep unusual low bringing cold NEly winds over us for days and it wasn`t until june 27th when it turned dry.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

A very typical Augtober day with frequent heavy showers and squally winds in those showers.

Maybe we will get 8th month synoptics in Octaugust.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
1 hour ago, DAVID SNOW said:

GFS going for a very wet Friday(16th) then almost a carbon copy of today for next Saturday.

normal runs though for August, Atlantic air every day from 0 to 384, Wed looking wettest here

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).

I can't see this month turning into anything over than a substantially cloudier and wetter than average month.

Nearly 40mm here already.

Edited by Thundershine
  • Like 1

Posted

Ranking and measuring how good the summer was, will depend on personal opinion, those who value, dry days over warm days, those who may value sunny days over warm days. My own opinion is a dry sunny though not necessarily warmer than average day is far better than a wet cloudy warm day, or even just a cloudy day - heat is a bonus, its sunshine and dry weather that I want to see in summer. With this in mind, so far summer 2019 has been average here. Warm cloudy muggy humid days don't do it for me, as we have had many of so far this month.. add rain into the mix, and days will rank low in my view.

Winter is the same, cold snowy days vs freezing dry sunny days.. which is better? Some people may prefer a 2 week freezing dry frosty spell, others may rank a short loved arctic snowy spell with temps not on the same par as better.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy and frosty

This wind is driving me insane.  Good job I lifted the hanging baskets down yesterday as there would be nothing left of them by now!  It’s broken bits of my roses and dahlias and my runner beans are tied to everything I can think of to tie them to but how they are still standing upright I’ll never know

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Yes, its the first day in months that the wind has been strong enough to make that noise and blow things around. Even in June we never really got any substantial gusts here. 

With regards to the opinion of this summer, outside of the south i suspect that most will make a judgement based on August and how the rest of the month transpires. June here was horrific for the first 20 days and a late warm spell does not make up for that. July on the other hand while not comparable to 06, 13 or even 18 was pretty pleasant and 'nice'. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it!
1 hour ago, Thundershine said:

I can't see this month turning into anything over than a substantially cloudier and wetter than average month.

Nearly 40mm here already.

Just had 16.2mm of rain just outside Falkirk in a 10 minute reading at 4pm! 

Posted

To make good hay or silage needs a 48hour drying weather  window. Since mid May we have had just  4  X 48 hour windows and have been making hay or silage on every one of them .Yes we have had single dry days and thats enough to sow neeps or cut hay or silage but this summer in general has been fairly wet.

On our heavier slighly clay soils a dry season has always been better for good results on the farm than a wet  one and this in spite of being at the top of a hill whre the water drains away very quickly.

From the above comments it can be seen that the summer here has been a pretty poor one and with the recent heavy rain even the spring barley has finally started to go flat making the harvest in the next few weeks a difficult one.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and blisteringly hot

Friday was a patchwork: warm and humid as the cloud built.  Mid afternoon a couple of thunderstorms then noticeably chillier.  Min last night 15.9C but today is definitely an autumnal day.  Heavy rain overnight but no thunder, heavy showers in the morning although dry now.  The wind is something else, a full gale.  Needless to say, cloudy.  At least I got a line of washing on the line. 

Looking at model output, this confirms my opinion that August is the first month of Autumn, as it has been during my lifetime.  2019 a good summer?  Three hot days and that's it.  Otherwise an often chilly cloudfest.

Edited by Wildswimmer Pete
My mistake

Posted

August does this every year since the 00`s,luckily july was great this year got all the hay done in that 3 week period starting june 27th amongst every other job rammed in,as august doesn`t even look like bringing any settled HP spell lasting more than 3 days.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

Whilst I do enjoy autumnal weather, I have pretty much given up on expecting a decent August now as they are so very few and far between. The only decent August I can think of since 2003 is 2016. Other than that they have either been poor or meh. I think the only time in recent memory that August has been the best summer month of the year was that of 2012, which of course isn't saying much.

Posted
41 minutes ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

Whilst I do enjoy autumnal weather, I have pretty much given up on expecting a decent August now as they are so very few and far between. The only decent August I can think of since 2003 is 2016. Other than that they have either been poor or meh. I think the only time in recent memory that August has been the best summer month of the year was that of 2012, which of course isn't saying much.

August has been disappointing since post 2005, but let’s go back to 1979, as for me this period could be classed as the christmas pudding (damn my phone for making typos)

1979 had a cool August, 1980 also had a rather poor one. 81 was dry sunny and warm, despite another poor summer August that year was the best month.

82 had another coolish August, with only a few hot days.

1983 and 84 were both warm to hot and sunny. 85-88 were all poor cool Augusts, with short warm or hot spells in 1987, and 88. 

1989 and 90 gave us another batch of warm to hot Augusts, 1991 also saw a decent one, after the poor June and early July. 

1992 summer started off warm and sunny, but August was overall quite poor. I also remember that summer being quite thundery. 

1993, was another disappointing August. 1994 was another average August, after the warm and sunny June and July.

1995 was the best August since 1990, and the hottest and driest on record(the best one since 1976), and probably the last really good one until 2003. 

I could go on, but it just goes to show how more often than not August ends up being poor or average. 

Edited by Sunny76

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

I wonder if we'll have another August-October 2017 type period. A naff August, with a warm and sunny Bank Holiday, then an even naffer September, then August synoptics turning up in October lol. Seems to happen so often now - early October being more reliable for nice weather than August and September.

Unfortunately, I can't see September bringing about any notable improvement if August continues poor. It's only done that once in recent times and that was in 2014.

Posted
4 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

1995 was the best August since 1990, and the hottest and driest on record(the best one since 1976), and probably the last really good one until 2003. 

August 1995 was better than 1990 by a distance, best August on record. Hottest, driest and sunniest, it was probably the greatest summer month of them all. 

• Like 1