Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2019 - Moans, Ramps, Chat etc

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).

Very annoying day today, where there were thunderstorms to the north and south and we got nothing right here but a couple of very distant rumbles. Quite windy and cloudy feeling on the chillier side despite average temps. 

Posted

Well...our first Summer holiday in this country since around 2011 coming up

Since then we have been in the Canary Islands (always go (today) Tuesday in August every year) but this year we are travelling down to Bournemouth instead on Friday. Blimey the weather sounds rough for travelling down there Friday morning and the days ahead

There is always the pub once we get there

Posted

I just don't know what's happened to Augusts. It seems like every year we say that we're due a good one and every year it's the first month of Autumn (away from the South East of course). This weekend's depression is certainly more at home in late September than early August. The only compensation of the past week has been the residual warmth, but even that's about to depart in a few days. Yes September can produce some lovely weather, and I certainly appreciate the gentler warmth on offer then, but the daylight is fading quickly and the Christmas stuff is in the shops! When will we get a good August again?

Edited by davehsug
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

If people are interested in the trend to cooler, wetter August’s since 2003 then watch the first 15mins of the Met Office live video from today. Very interesting: 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear skies , hard frost , snow !
8 hours ago, danm said:

If people are interested in the trend to cooler, wetter August’s since 2003 then watch the first 15mins of the Met Office live video from today. Very interesting: 

Thank you for posting that I found it really interesting... clearly the perception of poor August’s post 2003 is backed up by some empirical evidence.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and blisteringly hot

A pretty vile August day.  Chilly, windy, heavy showers with the sun just briefly appearing.  Weather more like October.  This is turning out to be a rerun of August 1962, the vilest August I can remember.  Mark my words, going on past form, high pressure and fine weather arrives just as soon as the kids go back to school.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.
18 hours ago, johnholmes said:

Come of it m, unless the weather in Derby is very different from up the M! in Doncaster, breezy and dry with spells of warm sunshine this morning and well into the afternoon before the showers/storms clipped this area, a maximum of 24.4 C in my garden!

wasnt that warm here john.... but that post was light hearted, not serious...

Posted

Monday afternoon and yesterday were dry, sunny and warm. Today we’ve had a few heavy showers in London, but still warm when the sun comes out. 

Posted
15 hours ago, danm said:

i have no sound...

oh it came on

Edited by mushymanrob

Posted
3 hours ago, Wildswimmer Pete said:

A pretty vile August day.  Chilly, windy, heavy showers with the sun just briefly appearing.  Weather more like October.  This is turning out to be a rerun of August 1962, the vilest August I can remember.  Mark my words, going on past form, high pressure and fine weather arrives just as soon as the kids go back to school.

It must be a lot colder in Runcorn than in Manchester then...we've managed 19C despite a couple of showers- hardly like October! There have been far worse starts to August in the last 10 years- surprised 1962 is getting a mention!

Posted
16 hours ago, danm said:

wow..... thats bad news for augusts going off that chart. its looking like about ten years before we might get back to drier sunnier warmer augusts.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and blisteringly hot
51 minutes ago, Scorcher said:

It must be a lot colder in Runcorn than in Manchester then...we've managed 19C despite a couple of showers- hardly like October! There have been far worse starts to August in the last 10 years- surprised 1962 is getting a mention!

That's because I actually experienced it. We went on a week's holiday to Scotland and it rained solidly all the way up the A6 over Shap (M6 didn't exist then) then to Kirkcudbright were we stayed.  We had just one fine day so I could go to the beach.  Otherwise confined to base by the persistent rain and cold winds. Rained solidly going home.

That's one reason I'll never pay for a holiday in UK anymore.

Edited by Wildswimmer Pete

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
56 minutes ago, Scorcher said:

definitely good start to Aug here, all 7 days over 20 degrees and no washouts, Aye no hot spells but hot spells rare in August due to dominant Atlantic air

• Like 1

Posted

afternoon all, well we have 2 outdoor events comming up, Warwick Castle on the 17th Aug, and Goodwood Revival from the 12th to the 16th Sept, please may we have one last blast of summer, but i fear things are going to remain unsettled.

Posted
12 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

definitely good start to Aug here, all 7 days over 20 degrees and no washouts, Aye no hot spells but hot spells rare in August due to dominant Atlantic air

Yes it's been decent here too, not brilliant but warm and with a fair bit of sunshine so far.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
8 hours ago, Badgers01 said:

Thank you for posting that I found it really interesting... clearly the perception of poor August’s post 2003 is backed up by some empirical evidence.

Wetter than average doesn’t automatically mean bad though. August 2004 for example was wet but it wasn’t what I’d call bad by any means. July this year was wet too but it was also perfectly decent. Short, heavy bursts of rain are fine and August 2004 was extremely thundery as most of us know. By contrast there are many months that look dry on the surface but had frequent light rain and drizzle. Summer 2011 was dry but felt really rubbish.

He also mentions that the wetter trend for August also applies to July and yet there hasn’t been that perception on this forum for some reason. The hot July last year might be masking the fact that most July’s in recent years have been very unremarkable too. Indeed I remember lots of moaning in 2015, 2016 and 2017 (even though I thought they were okay here), and that’s obviously overlooking July 2012 which is probably the worst summer month of the 2010s.

It all varies by location but the August’s of 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2018 were all decent here. 

Edited by cheese
  • Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, cheese said:

Wetter than average doesn’t automatically mean bad though. August 2004 for example was wet but it wasn’t what I’d call bad by any means. July this year was wet too but it was also perfectly decent. Short, heavy bursts of rain are fine and August 2004 was extremely thundery as most of us know. By contrast there are many months that look dry on the surface but had frequent light rain and drizzle. Summer 2011 was dry but felt rubbish.

He also mentions that the wetter trend for August also applies to July and yet there hasn’t been that perception on this forum for some reason. 

True. Last year was also good overall. First week was very hot, it then cooled down considerably but we still had many fine, warm, sunny days. At least here. 

I think what we seem to have lacked is a proper, month long warm/hot August since 2003, and they’ve also tended to be more unsettled than those in the 90s in general. 

Posted
16 minutes ago, danm said:

True. Last year was also good overall. First week was very hot, it then cooled down considerably but we still had many fine, warm, sunny days. At least here. 

I think what we seem to have lacked is a proper, month long warm/hot August since 2003, and they’ve also tended to be more unsettled than those in the 90s in general. 

Yes, it was the same here. I remember the final 8 days of August last year being rubbish but otherwise it was a decent month with plenty of dry, warm and usable weather even after the hot first week. Most of August last year was better than June which only got going here in the final third once the cold easterlies stopped.

Like I said before, other than August 2014 I’m struggling to think of a genuinely really bad August recently, but likewise no really good one. They’ve mostly been unremarkable, close to average affairs at least in this part of the world. Some like 2013 were wetter than average but that was largely down to a few single downpours much like this year. August has been rather thundery here in recent years.

Anyway, point being I don’t think August has been anywhere near as bad as people on here keep on making out. Like you say, it’s just the lack of a hot August that sticks out.

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
26 minutes ago, cheese said:

Wetter than average doesn’t automatically mean bad though. August 2004 for example was wet but it wasn’t what I’d call bad by any means. July this year was wet too but it was also perfectly decent. Short, heavy bursts of rain are fine and August 2004 was extremely thundery as most of us know. By contrast there are many months that look dry on the surface but had frequent light rain and drizzle. Summer 2011 was dry but felt really rubbish.

He also mentions that the wetter trend for August also applies to July and yet there hasn’t been that perception on this forum for some reason. The hot July last year might be masking the fact that most July’s in recent years have been very unremarkable too. Indeed I remember lots of moaning in 2015, 2016 and 2017 (even though I thought they were okay here), and that’s obviously overlooking July 2012 which is probably the worst summer month of the 2010s.

It all varies by location but the August’s of 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2018 were all decent here. 

I have to disagree anecdotally. August 04 is one of my earliest standout memories that i remember well and that's because i recall it being a month of humid hell. The CET does not always tell the whole story and i know in prior discussions in previous years many have agreed with that perception of Aug 04.

On the subject of July-August i suspect it comes down to the fact that even most cool July's still feel relatively warm. Before the final of this month for example we were on course for an average CET at best but it had been a pleasant month. August by contrast while perfectly capable of being very warm can by even halfway feel genuinely cool (late August 2011 probably being the most recent example). This is perhaps aided by light levels and longer nights being able to produce a chillier feel.  

Edited by summer blizzard

Posted
20 minutes ago, summer blizzard said:

I have to disagree anecdotally. August 04 is one of my earliest standout memories that i remember well and that's because i recall it being a month of humid hell. The CET does not always tell the whole story and i know in prior discussions in previous years many have agreed with that perception of Aug 04.

On the subject of July-August i suspect it comes down to the fact that even most cool July's still feel relatively warm. Before the final of this month for example we were on course for an average CET at best but it had been a pleasant month. August by contrast while perfectly capable of being very warm can by even halfway feel genuinely cool (late August 2011 probably being the most recent example). This is perhaps aided by light levels and longer nights being able to produce a chillier feel.  

Well with all due respect, you have claimed numerous times that you prefer August to be autumnal, so I’m not surprised you found it to be a ‘humid hell’. Personally the humidity didn’t bother me at all - this is the UK after all, not Florida. A humid 22C isn’t exactly oppressive.

I’d agree that August is capable of being cooler but I’m not sure that’s been the case in recent years. Comparing August 2014 and, say, July 2011, both being the coolest August and July this decade respectively - both had similar mean temperatures across England. The last very cool August must be some years ago now - possibly 1987?

Edited by cheese

Posted

Looks like Friday and.saturday will be very lively indeed,gales forecast for Saturday ample showers coming in making up for the dry warm first week to august,had a few showers yesterday and Monday afternoon was pretty dull with light showers.

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
On 06/08/2019 at 08:17, East Lancs Rain said:

Where are you? My area does not get the best weather but I managed 33C on Thu 25th July and 29C on Tuesday 23rd July. Other than 1st half of June it's not been too bad, it's been generally around 19-22C through July which is quite warm for here. Just the odd rainy 16C day here and there. Not had too  rain since June either and some of that was from thunderstorms during the late July heatwave. 

It's been a lot better than Summers 2016 and 2017, that's for sure.

lol im in Edmonton Canada..my post are mainly related to my location and not the UK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Latest EC has gusts of 55-60mph across swathes of southern England on Saturday morning. Could be nasty.

• Like 2