Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2019 - Moans, Ramps, Chat etc

Posted

August marks the start of the wet half of the year here (August-January), on average it is much wetter than the preceding six months. It is also duller than May-July. In this respect overall I tend to rank it behind May, June and July, despite it being on average equally as warm as July. A warm dry sunny day in June or July feels far different to one in late August, when there is a slight tinge of autumn in the air - namely marked by the fact we are losing light at a significant rate by then. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
23 minutes ago, DAVID SNOW said:

Because I like to read others opinions/observations, and not your constant arguing and disregarding of others.

I hardly post on this thread at all and yet I am supposedly constantly arguing and disregarding others.. very funny. Just pop me on ignore and that’ll be the end of that.

Edited by cheese

Posted
23 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

August marks the start of the wet half of the year here (August-January), on average it is much wetter than the preceding six months. It is also duller than May-July. In this respect overall I tend to rank it behind May, June and July, despite it being on average equally as warm as July. A warm dry sunny day in June or July feels far different to one in late August, when there is a slight tinge of autumn in the air - namely marked by the fact we are losing light at a significant rate by then. 

See, on this side of the Pennines rainfall is virtually the same in every month - there’s a bit of a dip in late winter and spring but otherwise it’s consistent throughout the year. We also benefit from westerlies because the Pennines offer shelter while your neck of the woods gets most of the rain.

This is why in April-June you often see people in eastern England moaning about the weather, because there’s a higher chance of easterlies which results in low cloud and mist that can be stubborn to clear. Low cloud is very unusual in July and August.

Indeed I remember posting last year some statistics showing that for stations in eastern England, the first 20 days of August 2018 were sunnier than the first 20 of June 2018, because for much of last June we were plagued by low cloud. It’s the final 10 days that made up for it.

Edited by cheese

Posted
55 minutes ago, Thundershine said:

August had 136 hours of sun here last year, compared to the usual 190 hours average, as it used to be at least. It must be said that it's quite unusual to see one month repeating the same consistently below average sunshine year upon year over such a stretch of time, as figures back up. 

The thing is, if a month keeps repeating the same weather over and over, then that is the average.

The problem is the 1989-2003 period had an unusual amount of warm, sunny and dry Augusts and that is what people generally try to measure it up against.

I can only speak for my location, but since 2003 we've averaged 183hrs of sunshine in August - exactly the same as the 1981-2010 average. Rainfall has been 71.7mm and Mean temp has been 16.7C. These figures are consistent with the 1981-2010 averages (or a little above with regards to temperature).

• Like 3

Posted
9 minutes ago, cheese said:

See, on this side of the Pennines rainfall is virtually the same in every month - there’s a bit of a dip in late winter and spring but otherwise it’s consistent throughout the year. We also benefit from westerlies because the Pennines offer shelter while your neck of the woods gets most of the rain.

This is why in April-June you often see people in eastern England moaning about the weather, because there’s a higher chance of easterlies which results in low cloud and mist that can be stubborn to clear. Low cloud is very unusual in July and August.

Indeed I remember posting last year some statistics showing that for stations in eastern England, the first 20 days of August 2018 were sunnier than the first 20 of June 2018, because for much of last June we were plagued by low cloud. It’s the final 10 days that made up for it.

Yes indeed east side of the Pennines tends to see more equal distribution of rainfall year round, namely as you say thanks to northerly and easterly airstreams being more likely in the March - June period whereas the west side of the Pennines is more sheltered in such set ups. The westerlies tend to come back in July and rage on through until February, and most often deposit for greater rainfall totals on the west side than the east side, especially here in the Lake District. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).
11 minutes ago, reef said:

The thing is, if a month keeps repeating the same weather over and over, then that is the average.

The problem is the 1989-2003 period had an unusual amount of warm, sunny and dry Augusts and that is what people generally try to measure it up against.

I can only speak for my location, but since 2003 we've averaged 183hrs of sunshine in August - exactly the same as the 1981-2010 average. Rainfall has been 71.7mm and Mean temp has been 16.7C. These figures are consistent with the 1981-2010 averages (or a little above with regards to temperature).

Sure, it will become the new average. The average always shifts slightly from one 30 year period to the next. The dullness of recent Augusts has been more evident in some parts of the country than others, too. Just not as much in your location. I've seen statistics from SE England in particular showing a rather obvious decrease. When does a few duller than average months become a trend though? Why only one month affected and not surrounding months, so much? Probably is a statistical quirk but evident nonetheless.

FWIW, generally, I certainly don't see August as the first month of Autumn but it depends how one perceives the conditions as well, not everyone will see it the same way. Some people observe more closely to the temperature, whereas for some the decreasing daylengths and increasing cloud/rain in their locale may give more the impression of an autumnal feel. There's certainly no reason why anybody should feel the need to argue over such ridiculousness. Everyone has their own interpretation, heavily based upon where they are located.

Edited by Thundershine

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and blisteringly hot
14 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

Yes indeed east side of the Pennines tends to see more equal distribution of rainfall year round, namely as you say thanks to northerly and easterly airstreams being more likely in the March - June period whereas the west side of the Pennines is more sheltered in such set ups. The westerlies tend to come back in July and rage on through until February, and most often deposit for greater rainfall totals on the west side than the east side, especially here in the Lake District. 

That's why the Lancashire cotton trade became established.  The constantly damp climate helped the spinning of cotton yarn.  Sadly the constant damp also exacerbates chest complaints which is why the Northwest is notorious for bronchitis.

Edited by Wildswimmer Pete
My mistake
  • Like 1

Posted
16 minutes ago, reef said:

This is what August has looked like here sunshine-wise since 2004..

2004: average sunshine

2005: above average sunshine

2006: below average sunshine

2007: above average sunshine 

2008: below average sunshine

2009: average sunshine

2010: average sunshine

2011: average sunshine

2012: below average sunshine

2013: average sunshine 

2014: above average sunshine (surprising because August 2014 was both wet and cool)

2015: average sunshine

2016: above average sunshine

2017: above average sunshine 

2018: average sunshine 

I suspect for this location there’s been no real change in August sunshine.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
3 hours ago, Freeze said:

Down here on the south coast I don’t think of autumn until it’s at least end of September/ start of October, August is usually fine and warm here whilst September is always usually dry and warm ish, wish we had a cool September for once to get me in the autumn mood

Look no further than the last 2 years, 2017 especially. 2015 was pretty cool too.

• Like 1

Posted

At my nearest weather station (Sheffield Cdl), the decrease of sun in August since 2003 hasn't been that severe actually, from 185 hours (1981-2010) to 170 hours since 2003 (as per the metoffice climate statistics).

Until relatively recently, I lived in a place more into the Peninnes, further west and that had a much more substantial decrease.

Edited by Thundershine

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

debate comes up every year about August summer or autumn, I'd say start of Autumn for the far NW, especially NW Scotland, westerlies are dominant,

hottest month of the year though for east and south, if we get plume setup or high pressure, which is very unlikely

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

I’ve said it before elsewhere on the forum but August here is probably the most consistent summer month here - consistently mediocre (only occasionally good). June and July are either the corkers or stinkers.

Late August to at least New Year however I’d expect the Atlantic to have the upper hand, perhaps further into the winter if we get a strong La Niña or El Niño to override the climatological norm.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow
6 minutes ago, Thundershine said:

Sure, it will become the new average. The average always shifts slightly from one 30 year period to the next. The dullness of recent Augusts has been more evident in some parts of the country than others, too. Just not as much in your location. I've seen statistics from SE England in particular showing a rather obvious decrease. When does a few duller than average months become a trend though? Why only one month affected and not surrounding months, so much? Probably is a statistical quirk but evident nonetheless.

FWIW, generally, I certainly don't see August as the first month of Autumn but it depends how one perceives the conditions as well, not everyone will see it the same way. Some people observe more closely to the temperature, whereas for some the decreasing daylengths and increasing cloud/rain in their locale may give more the impression of an autumnal feel. There's certainly no reason why anybody should feel the need to argue over such ridiculousness. Everyone has their own interpretation, heavily based upon where they are located.

For me personally I base it roughly on night time minima for my location going down to singles figures, which doesnt ever happen in August, usually late September for me

• Like 1

Posted

There’s definitely not been any August here recently that has managed to be as dreadful as the twins of terror that were June and July 2012.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
1 minute ago, cheese said:

There’s definitely not been any August here recently that has managed to be as dreadful as the twins of terror that were June and July 2012.

you're on right side of Pennines for the dominant August W'lys

Posted

The Pennines has a lot to do with it, re. which side you're on. When I was on the western side of the Peninnes, I remember August 2010 and 2014 being absolute stinkers. One of these months had just 90 hours of sun, but Sheffield was far sunnier. That's what constant westerlies will do in relation to the topography. Both easily as bad as July 2012, but nothing as bad as June 2012. But I lived in the East Midlands during the cloudiest August on record of 2008, where Lincoln recorded only 100 hours that month. 

Edited by Thundershine

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb

The last 5 days of July have had an awful collapse of sunshine amounts, meaning the month will end up with below average sunshine here. August starting where July left off, on a very cloudy note. I'd be happy with 200 hours this August.

Posted

This summer has brought everything so far record wet record heat well in the midlands and SE amazing 1 thunderstorm at least a great 3 week warm settled spell nobody should be moaning at all,plenty of rain in places in july its been a mix of all recent summer all combined,still august to go.

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted
1 hour ago, Mapantz said:

On the previous page, you said 'In your opinion' and now you say that you like to read others opinions?! 

What's the problem again..sigh, go back and re read the posts and don't take it out of context.

If it helps, its just polite to respect other opinions that you disagree with, without the your exaggerating / thread full off it, I am right attitude.

Anyway if you have a problem with my posts then I kindly suggest another chat with paul is required.

Posted
1 hour ago, cheese said:

I hardly post on this thread at all and yet I am supposedly constantly arguing and disregarding others.. very funny. Just pop me on ignore and that’ll be the end of that.

Looking at your profile you ONLY seem to post in this thread lol, often too.

Posted
7 minutes ago, DAVID SNOW said:

Looking at your profile you ONLY seem to post in this thread lol, often too.

With the heatwave I started posting more but before then my post rate was pretty low, mostly because there was nothing interesting to talk about. I literally posted once in March, 4 times in April and not at all in May lol.

Most of my activity in June was on the storms thread.

Edited by cheese

Posted
4 minutes ago, cheese said:

With the heatwave I started posting more but before then my post rate was pretty low, mostly because there was nothing interesting to talk about. I literally posted once in March, 4 times in April and not at all in May lol.

The heat wave is long gone but I guess you've stuck around to read ' peoples exaggerations'," and its hard to take most of what gets posted on here seriously", that's a quote from you lol.

Posted
6 minutes ago, DAVID SNOW said:

The heat wave is long gone but I guess you've stuck around to read ' peoples exaggerations'," and its hard to take most of what gets posted on here seriously", that's a quote from you lol.

Yes, I’m here all summer long. Lucky you! Now perhaps you’d like to stop obsessing over me and focus on something else.. the weather perhaps?

Edited by cheese

Posted
3 minutes ago, cheese said:

Yes, I’m here all summer long. Lucky you!

Only 1 month of summer left though, lucky everyone.

• Like 1