Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2019 - Moans, Ramps, Chat etc

Posted
2 hours ago, cheese said:

It makes sense up there because the best weather in Scotland typically occurs earlier.  Despite all the moaning on here about how bad recent Augusts have been, on average it is clearly one of the best months of the year, especially in eastern and southern parts. For my nearest station, July and August are virtually identical in terms of temperature, sunshine and rainfall. 

I wouldn’t go changing the summer holidays based on a very short period of history. Late July and early August is the warmest period of the year and the school holidays capture that just fine.

Also, I don’t think the past few Augusts have been terrible, not in Leeds anyway. Only 2014 was very bad imo. 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015 were all pretty average, 2013 was somewhat warm. August 2012 was the best month that year - June and July were awful. The only thing that’s been missing is a very hot August like 2003, 1997 or 1995. 

Yes , always find it odd that the English schools are still in during most of July . Yes usually in Scotland better weather start  of summer , after the last week of July , tends to slip .

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
2 minutes ago, scott125 said:

Yes , always find it odd that the English schools are still in during most of July . Yes usually in Scotland better weather start  of summer , after the last week of July , tends to slip .

think it might be to do with bank holiday, 1st Monday of Sept is holiday too, and tues for many, we always had the Monday off, perhaps kind of in lieu of BH

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and blisteringly hot

August Bank Holiday was originally the first Monday in the month, but was moved to the last Monday in 1965.  The inevitably bad Bank Holiday weather followed to the new late August BH.  Coincidence?

Not stats, but actual personal experience.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).

Almost 100mm of rain here now! A very wet month indeed after today's deluges. Mind you, at my sister's house in leyburn, they had over 200mm of rain today according to netweather rainfall accumulation!!!!!!

Their new house was flooded out and they have had to move out

Edited by Thundershine
  • Like 1

Posted

Manchester Summer Indices 

1954 143
1907 147
1956 155
1912 156
1924 158
2012 164
2008 168
1987 169
1946 170
1909 171
1931 173
1978 173
1980 173
1920 174
1923 174
2007 174
1927 175
1948 176
1938 177
1922 178
2011 179
1985 180
1958 184
1972 185
1916 188
1986 189
1965 189
2016 189
1910 190
1936 190
1988 191
2010 191
1966 192
1998 192
2017 192
1953 193
1963 194
1993 194
2009 194
1902 195
2019 195 (up to 30th July)
1915 196
1981 196
1928 197
1962 197
1964 197
2004 197
1952 198
2000 198 

• Like 1

Posted

Did we also break the minimum temperature record last week? 

Looking at Brogdale's temperatures for last 25th/26th July (it still has the "MetOffice" logo on its WoW webpage so assuming it remains an official reporting station), the station reported a maximum of 38.4C (impressive!) and a minimum of 24.3C.

The previous record was 23.9C.

For the details, see http://wow.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/view?&reportId=8082001&siteID=25668314, and use the tables tab to find the data.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,fairly warm in summer

apart from greenhouses gases making a major impact of global warming.ive noticed not only are temps rising in the day but also at night,another change that could make a difference in cities is I live in a city and I walk down many streets in hull and 90% of front gardens are concreted over for cars.no wonder nights are warmer.concrete takes a long time to cool down after a days heat.in the long term,things like this have to change.we need more trees and grass and the return of a green front garden.

• Like 2

Posted

Looks like July is ending as it began - but  for three hot days disappointing temperatures and mostly cloudy during waking hours.  Current mid afternoon temp: 18.3C in what we describe to be "high summer". 

Oh well, tomorrow sees the start of the first Autumn month.

Posted
26 minutes ago, MIKE LEVITT said:

apart from greenhouses gases making a major impact of global warming.ive noticed not only are temps rising in the day but also at night,another change that could make a difference in cities is I live in a city and I walk down many streets in hull and 90% of front gardens are concreted over for cars.no wonder nights are warmer.concrete takes a long time to cool down after a days heat.in the long term,things like this have to change.we need more trees and grass and the return of a green front garden.

I agree.  Not only is an urban jungle ugly, it doesn't help the environment at all!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in
2 hours ago, MIKE LEVITT said:

Go to any recently built housing estate and you’ll be lucky if the houses even have a front garden. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow
2 hours ago, Wildswimmer Pete said:

Looks like July is ending as it began - but  for three hot days disappointing temperatures and mostly cloudy during waking hours.  Current mid afternoon temp: 18.3C in what we describe to be "high summer". 

Oh well, tomorrow sees the start of the first Autumn month.

Down here on the south coast I don’t think of autumn until it’s at least end of September/ start of October, August is usually fine and warm here whilst September is always usually dry and warm ish, wish we had a cool September for once to get me in the autumn mood

Edited by Freeze

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

Met think we’ll have a hot spell in the south over the next 10 days, although showers never far away. 

Edited by danm
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
1 hour ago, Freeze said:

Down here on the south coast I don’t think of autumn until it’s at least end of September/ start of October, August is usually fine and warm here whilst September is always usually dry and warm ish, wish we had a cool September for once to get me in the autumn mood

Autumn doesn’t start until late September at the earliest imo. People on here love to exaggerate.

It’s been warm and humid here today, and much like yesterday we have had a few thundery showers. Max temp of 22C.

Could be a lot worse, still shorts and T-shirts for me, but could do with a fully dry day now. Thankfully the next few days look dry and warm - August will start on a better note than July ended.

My birthday is at the end of the month and regardless of what weather was like before, my actual birthday has been very nice weather-wise in recent years. We’ve had a few thunderstorms too. I remember growing up in the 90s my birthday was often hot, especially 1995 when it was about 32C. My grandma’s birthday is in mid June and has been much less reliable for nice weather.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 1

Posted

Another ridiculously wet day, 2nd half of July has been a complete washout. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
12 minutes ago, cheese said:

Autumn doesn’t start until late September at the earliest imo. People on here love to exaggerate.

It’s been warm and humid here today, and much like yesterday we have had a few thundery showers. Max temp of 22C.

Could be a lot worse, still shorts and T-shirts for me, but could do with a fully dry day now. Thankfully the next few days look dry and warm - August will start on a better note than July ended.

My birthday is at the end of the month and regardless of what weather was like before, my actual birthday has been very nice weather-wise in recent years. We’ve had a few thunderstorms too. I remember growing up in the 90s my birthday was often hot, especially 1995 when it was about 32C. My grandma’s birthday is in mid June and has been much less reliable for nice weather.

my birthday normally decent too then

Posted
19 minutes ago, cheese said:

Autumn doesn’t start until late September at the earliest imo. 

Not in Merseyside.  We've had particularly lousy Augusts the past few years.  As I posted earlier on I can count the  number of decent Augusts I've experienced during the past 60 years on my ten fingers (I've discounted my 9 years' childhood) .  This week we've had a front stall on top of us for several days resulting in steady, cold rain, something that happens far too often.

Edit: Despite it being dry and breezy, my washing is still damp.  I'd expect that in winter but not in so-called high summer.

Edited by Wildswimmer Pete

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow
10 minutes ago, cheese said:

I agree I don’t understand people in the south calling on average one of the warmest months of the year the start of Autumn, my birthday is the start of October and in recent year I’ve always still walked around in just a T-shirt.

• Like 2

Posted

My birthday's on 31st August. Can't remember a single good day's weather on that date, except the one year I spent my birthday in Spain, when it was 31°C and sunny.

Posted
12 minutes ago, Freeze said:

I agree I don’t understand people in the south calling on average one of the warmest months of the year the start of Autumn, my birthday is the start of October and in recent year I’ve always still walked around in just a T-shirt.

Like I said, people exaggerate. It’s hard to take most of what gets posted on here seriously.

• Like 3

Posted
28 minutes ago, cheese said:

Like I said, people exaggerate. It’s hard to take most of what gets posted on here seriously.

1, in your opinion.

2, its the moans ramps chat etc thread.

And 3, why bother reading the thread then!

• Like 5

Posted
Just now, DAVID SNOW said:

1, in your opinion.

2, its the moans ramps chat etc thread.

And 3, why bother reading the thread then!

My post wasn’t directed at you so I’m not sure why you’re getting so uppity with me.

Posted

August had 136 hours of sun here last year, compared to the usual 190 hours average, as it used to be at least. It must be said that it's quite unusual to see one month repeating the same consistently below average sunshine year upon year over such a stretch of time, as figures back up. 

• Like 1

Posted
41 minutes ago, cheese said:

My post wasn’t directed at you so I’m not sure why you’re getting so uppity with me.

Because I like to read others opinions/observations, and not your constant arguing and disregarding of others.

• Like 4

Posted
21 minutes ago, Thundershine said:

August had 136 hours of sun here last year, compared to the usual 190 hours average, as it used to be at least. It must be said that it's quite unusual to see one month repeating the same consistently below average sunshine year upon year over such a stretch of time, as figures back up. 

If that figure comes from sunshine recorder data it'll be even worse. Most of the time the sun is out during the early morning until breakfast time when the almost inevitable grey lid slams down.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
4 minutes ago, DAVID SNOW said:

Because I like to read others opinions/observations, and not your constant arguing and disregarding of others.

On the previous page, you said 'In your opinion' and now you say that you like to read others opinions?!