Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2019 - Moans, Ramps, Chat etc

Posted

Pretty sure I actually got a touch of mild heat exhaustion last week - on the thursday, I woke up sweating, drove to work sweating, worked all day in a non-airconditioned tin can office sweating, drove home sweating, sat around sweating, ate my dinner sweating, passed out as soon as i led down sweating.

Woke up on friday feeling like absolute death.

It has been nice regarding cooler temps - already bored of the rain though and according to my weather app (haven't looked at any charts for a bit) the weather looks a bit pants for the foreseeable but thats August.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
16 minutes ago, Azazel said:

Pretty sure I actually got a touch of mild heat exhaustion last week - on the thursday, I woke up sweating, drove to work sweating, worked all day in a non-airconditioned tin can office sweating, drove home sweating, sat around sweating, ate my dinner sweating, passed out as soon as i led down sweating.

It has been nice regarding cooler temps - already bored of the rain though and according to my weather app (haven't looked at any charts for a bit) the weather looks a bit pants for the foreseeable but thats August.

Agree, whilst extremes can be very exciting from a weather enthusiasts point of view, it’s good they rarely last long in this country and cause problems.

Having said that, cloud, wind and drizzle like Heathrow is currently getting can do one at this time of the year. Obviously, the 6-8 months of the year that we get those same conditions aren’t enough lol  

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Essex has been better for Storms than Sussex surely this summer?, there was one where it was on course for Sussex judging by the lightening strike map, only for it to hit Kent and Essex instead.

Have been unlucky this summer with storms, they have moved up passing to my west and east, perhaps Kent coast is the answer, how many times over recent years has the Kent clipper come into play!

Posted
2 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Agree, whilst extremes can be very exciting from a weather enthusiasts point of view, it’s good they rarely last long in this country and cause problems.

Having said that, cloud, wind and drizzle like Heathrow is currently getting can do one at this time of the year. Obviously, the 6-8 months of the year that we get those same conditions aren’t enough lol  

Indeed - I worry this August will revert to type. I start looking towards autumn usually at this point

• Like 1

Posted
42 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

I would like to move outside of London or possibly towards the Sussex coast, for a little more space and peace. The weather does seem to be better even compared to London at times. Plus, there’s more chance of settling snow, despite its proximity to the Channel.

Agreed.

Posted
26 minutes ago, Azazel said:

Sounds like you could have become quite dehydrated?

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
4 minutes ago, Azazel said:

Indeed - I worry this August will revert to type. I start looking towards autumn usually at this point

So many recent Augusts have been rather mediocre or poor. This one looks ok at the moment, nothing too awful with chances at some warmth and some rain too. About time the school children and UK holidaymakers had a good month.

• Like 1

Posted
10 minutes ago, DAVID SNOW said:

Sounds like you could have become quite dehydrated?

It's very possible - i'm terrible at staying ontop of my water intake - I was going through fluids like the clappers though and just sweating it back out haha.

1000 posts! Shoutouts to all of you beautiful people.

• Like 1

Posted
10 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

So many recent Augusts have been rather mediocre or poor. This one looks ok at the moment, nothing too awful with chances at some warmth and some rain too. About time the school children and UK holidaymakers had a good month.

I do feel for the little buggers. I always thought the summer holidays should be moved forward to at least the start of July.

• Like 2

Posted

Back in Bratislava, it's not as hot as it has been (28C is normal for here) but it feels a lot more humid than before I left. I dried myself off after a shower yesterday morning and I was immediately drenched with sweat. The same thing happened when I was in Passau (lovely town) at the weekend. Before that I think it was Shanghai in 2009.

Edited by AderynCoch

Posted
23 minutes ago, Azazel said:

I do feel for the little buggers. I always thought the summer holidays should be moved forward to at least the start of July.

It would make sense. Most of Europe breaks up from school in mid-late June and goes back in late August 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb

Looking at next weeks forecast for London, temperatures look average for start of August (24-25c), but the dreaded cloud and lack of sun is back. August has similar sun averages to July, but by percentages should be the sunniest month of the year. It looks like there will be no doubt about August 2019 starting off on a very cloudy note. 

Posted

I don't get the complaints over in the model threads..We had a lovely few days prior to the break down over the weekend.. Monday and today are nice (well here) last evening was a lovely summer evening and its suppose to be nice again over the weekend..Its not perfect. But it never is. As long as it remains fairly warm. I will be satisfied.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).

Today becomes the 5th day this month to have significant rainfall totals, so well above average rainfall now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and blisteringly hot
On 29/07/2019 at 07:39, Weather-history said:

Manchester Summer Indices 

1954 143
1907 147
1956 155
1912 156
1924 158
2012 164
2008 168
1987 169
1946 170
1909 171
1931 173
1978 173
1980 173
1920 174
1923 174
2007 174
1927 175
1948 176
1938 177
1922 178
2011 179
1985 180
1958 184
1972 185
1916 188
1986 189
1965 189
2016 189
1910 190
1936 190
1988 191
2010 191
1966 192
1998 192
2017 192
1953 193
1963 194
1993 194
2009 194
1902 195
2019 195 (up to 28th July)
1915 196
1981 196
1928 197
1962 197
1964 197
2004 197
1952 198
2000 198 

Can't find 1976 - the best summer in living memory.

Posted
4 hours ago, Azazel said:

In Scotland the summer holidays start at the beginning of July through to mid-August.

• Like 2

Posted
4 hours ago, stainesbloke said:

It would make sense. Most of Europe breaks up from school in mid-late June and goes back in late August 

Scrap the half terms, and just extend the Christmas, Easter and summer holidays. 

I remember the school holidays in the early to mid 90s were decent, but at some point after 2003, that seems to be where August has been in decline, in terms of sun and warmth. 

• Like 1

Posted
5 hours ago, Azazel said:

Welcome to the world of pain, which is August of the 2010s, in short, crap!!

Posted

Decent day yesterday but today started fine but the cloud bubbled up, now with heavy showers.  Torrential rain forecast later with possibility of thunder will at least make the day interesting.  Current temp. about 19C but very humid.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
2 hours ago, weatherguru14 said:

I don't get the complaints over in the model threads..We had a lovely few days prior to the break down over the weekend.. Monday and today are nice (well here) last evening was a lovely summer evening and its suppose to be nice again over the weekend..Its not perfect. But it never is. As long as it remains fairly warm. I will be satisfied.

It's been cool, wet and windy most of the day here. Only yesterday was sunny in the last few days.

Edited by B87

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
53 minutes ago, Wildswimmer Pete said:

In Scotland the summer holidays start at the beginning of July through to mid-August.

It makes sense up there because the best weather in Scotland typically occurs earlier.  Despite all the moaning on here about how bad recent Augusts have been, on average it is clearly one of the best months of the year, especially in eastern and southern parts. For my nearest station, July and August are virtually identical in terms of temperature, sunshine and rainfall. 

I wouldn’t go changing the summer holidays based on a very short period of history. Late July and early August is the warmest period of the year and the school holidays capture that just fine.

Also, I don’t think the past few Augusts have been terrible, not in Leeds anyway. Only 2014 was very bad imo. 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015 were all pretty average, 2013 was somewhat warm. August 2012 was the best month that year - June and July were awful. The only thing that’s been missing is a very hot August like 2003, 1997 or 1995. 

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Linton on Ouse was the warmest place in the UK today at 26C. Unsurprisingly it was warmer than forecast. Cooler now though after thunder and lightning.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.
1 hour ago, Wildswimmer Pete said:

Can't find 1976 - the best summer in living memory.

thats the bottom half .....