Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2019 - Moans, Ramps, Chat etc

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and blisteringly hot

Back to the usual very low standard of the Northwestern English "summer": cold NW wind, thick cloud, heavy rain with an appalling 15C on a late July afternoon.  Utter 

Little improvement on the horizon.  As far as I'm concerned August has now become yet another Autumn month.

Think that I need to dust off my SAD lamp.

• Like 1

Posted

We do see the benefit of being a few miles off the south central coast at this time of year - breakdowns are rarely breakdowns. We don't get the heights (just 31.8C on Thursday on my equipment), but we don't get the drops either (24/25C on Friday, yesterday and today). It's far more of a long continuous warm spell here. Has been so the past 6/7 summers. Marvelous

• Like 3

Posted

Yes it can be interesting how it varies across the country. We only had 2 maxima of 25.9C here.. (partly due to the onshore wind and the main heat of the plume going to our east anyway). Since then we've had warm and mostly sunny days here this weekend with maxima of 24.1C yesterday and 23.7C so far today (NW offshore breeze).

July has been notably dry so far with 11.4mm of rain and just 2 days with any significant rain.. there was 22 days with none at all to the 17th. Fairly sunny too here.

So basically a pleasant summer's month with lots of nice weather but quite homogeneous temps, not the contrast/interest of record breaking heat and then a 15-20C temp drop. Though we did get an elevated thunderstorm from the plume.

Some spots right on the south coast of Devon and Cornwall (and possibly Dorset) probably haven't seen any max temp drop at all.

Edited by Evening thunder

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in
21 minutes ago, Evening thunder said:

Some spots right on the south coast of Devon and Cornwall (and possibly Dorset) probably haven't seen any max temp drop at all.

I’m right on the coast on the Hampshire/Dorset border and apart from Tuesday when it reached exactly 30°C it’s reached the mid 20s every day this week including today where it’s 23.8°C at the moment. 

Edited by matt111

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.
21 minutes ago, Big daddy 49 said:

Everyone writing off August again!.Yesterday it was a positive outlook,today it's negative.Tomorrow?..Let's face NOBODY can accurately predict the weather a week from now.

Yes its quite bizarre as you say. During June, many were writing July off, and its turned out OK... Now with 4 days to the start of a 31 day month, some are writing August off!! I just can't work out the reasoning of it. And just give it till mid December, and there will be quite a few writing winter off!! I just can't wait...

Edited by Mattwolves
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 22-38C in summer with storms, cold in winter with some snow/or 15-25C
1 hour ago, Man With Beard said:

We do see the benefit of being a few miles off the south central coast at this time of year - breakdowns are rarely breakdowns. We don't get the heights (just 31.8C on Thursday on my equipment), but we don't get the drops either (24/25C on Friday, yesterday and today). It's far more of a long continuous warm spell here. Has been so the past 6/7 summers. Marvelous

Portsmouth has the best climate in the UK in my opinion. great place too, especially Southsea.

Edited by 95 Degrees
  • Like 1

Posted
17 minutes ago, Mattwolves said:

Yes its quite bizarre as you say. During June, many were writing July off, and its turned out OK... Now with 4 days to the start of a 31 day month, some are writing August off!! I just can't work out the reasoning of it. And just give it till mid December, and there will be quite a few writing winter off!! I just can't wait...

That's because in my location - NW England - the last decent August I can remember was during the 1990s.  Since then August has become another Autumn month.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
24 minutes ago, Mattwolves said:

I'm minded to put it down to ORS, one run syndrome, Matt?:oldgrin:

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Wildswimmer Pete said:

That's because in my location - NW England - the last decent August I can remember was during the 1990s.  Since then August has become another Autumn month.

I am referring to the bigger picture, patterns change.... August's will not continue to be autumnal like indefinitely... With a warming climate they should Infact start to become hotter. September also can be a very reasonable month... Come to think of it... Even the winter months can be very spring like.....

• Like 2

Posted
2 hours ago, Man With Beard said:

It's been exactly the same here a bit further west from you, the hot spell just eased off into an ongoing warm spell, yet another maximum today of 23/24°C and no more than 1 mm of rain any day since last weekend, which was a wet one.

• Like 1

Posted
11 minutes ago, Mattwolves said:

I am referring to the bigger picture, patterns change.... August's will not continue to be autumnal like indefinitely... With a warming climate they should Infact start to become hotter. September also can be a very reasonable month... Come to think of it... Even the winter months can be very spring like.....

I've endured nearly seventy Augusts and most of them have been at best indifferent, at the other extreme absolutely horrendous.  August 1962 was especially horrific - cloud and rain every day except for one fine day.  The decent Augusts I can remember can be counted on the ten fingers of my hands.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
14 minutes ago, Mattwolves said:

Augusts in general here in the south east have been okay over recent years...surprising once looking at the CET values since 2010 they've been relatively poor (only 2013/16 have been warm), I think maybe it is more of a southerly/south east thing with more of an Atlantic influence than June/July in that timescale. Just a matter of time before we see at least another warm one? 2013, 2016...2019? and as said far too early to be looking at current modelling to say August will not be good, what ecm is modelling currently looks similarish to a fortnight ago (weakish Atlantic influence).

• Like 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, Froze were the Days said:

Augusts in general here in the south east have been okay over recent years...surprising once looking at the CET values since 2010 they've been relatively poor (only 2013/16 have been warm), I think maybe it is more of a southerly/south east thing with more of an Atlantic influence than June/July in that timescale. Just a matter of time before we see at least another warm one? 2013, 2016...2019? and as said far too early to be looking at current modelling to say August will not be good, what ecm is modelling currently looks similarish to a fortnight ago (weakish Atlantic influence).

Im also taking a close look at the EC46 currently, I no it made a pigs ear of things during winter, but it's still a good model in my eyes.. Much better than the CFS I feel. So i eagerly await the Monday update, which of course I will share with the good folk on here. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

Very good article in the Mail on Saturday regarding reverse SAD,struck home quite a bit,would recommend a quick read. It was the actual the Mail's own Doctor who suffers from it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.

For me, this weekend has been wonderful. Managed to cool the non a/c rest of the house down to a reasonable 22ºC from a sultry and hellish 32ºC. The differene is bliss!

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

If mid teens and endless grey skies and rain is rubbish in winter. Then it is rubbish here and now. Two inches of rain to boot here.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

I almost get the impression these days that September is a better bet for warm, sunny weather than August! The all-time record on 1 Sep is something like 35 °C, so with perfect conditions it can still be very hot in the early part of the month. (Edit: the TORRO page has 18 Sep as the first date on which 30 °C has not been acheived.)

The week ahead doesn't look terrible, though. Better than this weekend's been here in Worcs, anyway. A little warmer and probably some nice sunny spells between the showers. Tuesday may bring storms for those who like that, too. I could live with a continuation of that as we head into August -- it's not what I want, which is sun and warmth, but it wouldn't be a write-off.

Edited by Arctic Hare
added TORRO link

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Sunny Summers/Cold Wintry Winters

Thankfully ended up picking the best week to go to Dorset for a family holiday. Weather back in Wrexham looks mediocre at best. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
4 minutes ago, Summerstorm said:

Thankfully ended up picking the best week to go to Dorset for a family holiday. Weather back in Wrexham looks mediocre at best. 

Yep. Couldn't fault the weather here this weekend.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Stelmer said:

For me, this weekend has been wonderful. Managed to cool the non a/c rest of the house down to a reasonable 22ºC from a sultry and hellish 32ºC. The differene is bliss!

Yes was a poor high summer day today, but  nature stepped in with its free A/c and exorcised the heat from last week, 37+ on Thursday. Much easier conditions now(in doors)

Posted

As for August it can and often does produce a NW/SE split, so in my opinion those that actually live in the N/NW are very much entitled to their opinions.

Posted

Manchester Summer Indices 

1954 143
1907 147
1956 155
1912 156
1924 158
2012 164
2008 168
1987 169
1946 170
1909 171