Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2019 - Moans, Ramps, Chat etc

Posted
2 minutes ago, Onding said:

I wonder if forecasters 48 years ago, living in cooler times, thought 18C in January was impossible 

Let's agree to disagree then  

Feel free to quote me if it ever happens. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
2 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

Thanks - cracker that - lightening was every 30 seconds here for a good hour+  -   i am sure though that having the windows replaced in 2014 has massively dampened thunder though, havent heard really loud thunder since i had the old windows, the thunder in July 2014 literally rocked this building to its foundations, tuesday the thunder and lightening was less than 2 or 3 seconds apart at one point so must have been very close - although the one in 2014 did sound like it was right overhead, really thought it was going to strike the building that night.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and stormy, cold and icy!
14 hours ago, Stonethecrows said:

When the weather doesn't happen as thought year in year out it's funny how people say we've dodged a bullet just like when there's little snow in winter the old we were unlucky chestnut comes out. Yes i think 40 C would be a one off, unless you genuinely think every July from here on in will hit that temp every year? It's possible yes but by no means a given like some would have us believe. You talk about anomalies, well it could be that these plumes are just that anyway!  I'm not stupid, of course there is a warming trend and obviously climate change is happening but the potential jump to regularly hit high 30/40 C in this country is different to other parts of the the world anyway, in the same way we often miss severe winter weather. For climate change to affecting the uk at the rate some are alluding to, shouldn't we be seeing these heatwaves lasting more than just 3 days? The average temp for july is like 21, 22 yeah? well the odd plume here and there isn't like to alter that dramatically. Yet

So hitting high 30's or the magic 40 somewhere today will be a very noteworthy event but it's entirely possible it will be a good number of years before a July day gets that hot again and imho anyone who thinks next year and the year after will be a carbon copy is getting rather carried away.

I never said that we would reach 40 today or every year for that matter - that’s just taking my original reply out of context. I’m just saying there is an increased frequency of significant heat records, certainly in comparison to cold weather temperature records. There is a warming trend! Yes there are significant cold spells and records at times, but are generally less frequent and extreme at the other end of the temperature scale it would appear. 

I don’t think it’s fair to suggest from my original reply though that I was saying we would get this weather event every year - and again, as for last summer with the dry ground and sustained / consistent heat, a push of hot air from the continent or south in general could have resulted in rather high temps in the upper 30s there too. This was pretty much recognised and acknowledged at the time. Of course we don’t get these heatwaves every year, particularly at the peak time of year for the highest temperatures (eg 1995, 2003, 2006, 2018, 2019 (?)), but when taken altogether and the heat records going whether it be national, local, daily or monthly - I don’t know why you are even trying to suggest I was saying this would happen every year! Also, I am objective person and leave emotion or preferences out of things - for example, I predicted a top temperature the other day of 37.9 degrees but for tomorrow in the East Anglia region based on the westerly corrections of the incoming heat that the models were getting to grips with. If I was someone that was overly excited by my preferences which is heat and storms, I’d have certainly predicted higher than that...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.
18 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Thanks - cracker that - lightening was every 30 seconds here for a good hour+  -   i am sure though that having the windows replaced in 2014 has massively dampened thunder though, havent heard really loud thunder since i had the old windows, the thunder in July 2014 literally rocked this building to its foundations, tuesday the thunder and lightening was less than 2 or 3 seconds apart at one point so must have been very close - although the one in 2014 did sound like it was right overhead, really thought it was going to strike the building that night.

Absolute peach that was on Tuesday night Feb... An Almighty flash and a bang so loud it sounded like a category 4.. 12" shell firework right over the house as well.. One of the best for some time. 

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, Mattwolves said:

Absolute peach that was on Tuesday night Feb... An Almighty flash and a bang so loud it sounded like a category 4.. 12" shell firework right over the house as well.. One of the best for some time. 

Thought so, the lightening looked so menacing, you know where it carries on flashing for a few seconds and the flashes are so regular, didn't seem to correlate with long rumbley crackly thunder that was so tame - sure it was the windows that spoiled my enjoyment of it by dampening the thunder - still good though, also it probably was dangerous because i probably didn't realise how near it was because it was dampened.

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Thought so, the lightening looked so menacing, you know where it carries on flashing for a few seconds and the flashes are so regular, didn't seem to correlate with long rumbley crackly thunder that was so tame - sure it was the windows that spoiled my enjoyment of it by dampening the thunder - still good though, also it probably was dangerous because i probably didn't realise how near it was because it was dampened.

Yes Feb I had my head stuck out of the window, and thought I was gonna lose it at one point. The rain didn't last 5 minutes but the flashes were just spectacular. We'll worth staying up till 2am for.

Edited by Mattwolves
  • Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, Mattwolves said:

Yes Feb I had my head stuck out of the window, and thought I was gonna lose it at one point. The rain didn't last 5 minutes but the flashes was just spectacular. We'll worth staying up till 2am for.

The rain went from torrential for a few minutes to just bog standard heavy moderate rain then as soon as the thunder stopped it went back to torrential and then just stopped again.

Edited by feb1991blizzard
  • Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, feb1991blizzard said:

The rain went from torrential for a few minutes to just bog standard heavy moderate rain then as soon as the thunder stopped it went back to torrential and then just stopped again.

It didn't seem to rain for that long here, it came heavy for a while like you said, but seemed to die out suddenly. Thats the first time in a few years I've witnessed such flash lightning, not to mention the thunderbolt. Last year we had nothing!! But then again most of our heat last year was homegrown with constantly high pressure. But boy these Spanish plumes certainly deliver. I've enjoyed this heat to a degree during the day, but my god I'm hating the nights! Must be bloody 30c in my bedroom. Everytime I switch the fan off I can feel myself boiling over. Roll on the cooler nights Feb. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

RE the discussion above...this is what happens when you don't have hear via a dominant Azores HP. The Azores HP bridging across us was why last year was so dull in terms of actual weather. I call the Azores HP the convection killer.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

The night time record must surely be under threat tonight. It’s still 28c here in London (City Airport) at midnight and a couple of sites in Cambridgeshire are still at 29c.

Edited by danm

Posted
9 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

RE the discussion above...this is what happens when you don't have hear via a dominant Azores HP. The Azores HP bridging across us was why last year was so dull in terms of actual weather. I call the Azores HP the convection killer.

It can kill the snow showers down the Western side off very quickly as well during a W-NW flow.

• Like 1

Posted

As a lover of heat, and wanting to break the all time record, it’s also quite clear that this country is not yet properly geared towards dealing with such extraordinary heat. Most of us don’t have air conditioning at home, our houses are not built to deal with heat and we are still some years off our public transport system in London and elsewhere being fully air conditioned (part of the Underground and Overground are now air conditioned, however the deep tube lines are not). 

There is no way even someone like myself could deal with 35c+ too often. High 20’s/low 30s is perfect, with the very occasional mid to high 30s day thrown would be my limit in an ideal world. 

Edited by danm
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and hot.
16 minutes ago, danm said:

As a lover of heat, and wanting to break the all time record, it’s also quite clear that this country is not yet properly geared towards dealing with such extraordinary heat. Most of us don’t have air conditioning at home, our houses are not built to deal with heat and we are still some years off our public transport system in London and elsewhere being fully air conditioned (part of the Underground and Overground are now air conditioned, however the deep tube lines are not). 

There is no way even someone like myself could deal with 35c+ too often. High 20’s/low 30s is perfect, with the very occasional mid to high 30s day thrown would be my limit in an ideal world. 

Despite me being understanding of others preferences, I don't think it's true to say that we couldn't 'deal' with it. It's simply the fact we are not 'used' to it. You see people unable to work and constantly complaining in this country if it gets over 30c, and yet people in the far east and many other places work in this everyday. It is as normal to them as 18c is to us. Do they have a special inbuilt heat tolerance? No, they are just accustomed to it.

Funny story. I went into Boots today and overheard a worker there saying that they can't do the stock checks because the manager is not there as it's too hot. He even went on to say it's a national problem....quiet ridiculous if you ask me. It's not even an outdoor job. They are inside with air conditioning.That's a big problem in this country, if it gets a little hot, things grind to a halt. A friend of mine even had an important package undelievered today because the courier couldn't work in the heat. Despite them having A/C in their vans

While I 100% understand that very high heat isn't for everyone, it really does make me chuckle when I hear Brits complaining that 25c is 'boiling' or too hot.

Edited by matty007

Posted
8 minutes ago, matty007 said:

Despite me being understanding of others preferences, I don't think it's true to say that we couldn't 'deal' with it. It's simply the fact we are not 'used' to it. You see people unable to work and constantly complaining in this country if it gets over 30c, and yet people in the far east and many other places work in this everyday. It is as normal to them as 18c is to us. Do they have a special inbuilt heat tolerance? No, they are just accustomed to it.

Funny story. I went into Boots today and overheard a worker there saying that they can't do the stock checks because the manager is not there as it's too hot. He even went on to say it's a national problem....quiet ridiculous if you ask me. It's not even an outdoor job. They are inside with air conditioning.That's a big problem in this country, if it gets a little hot, things grind to a halt. A friend of mine even had an important package undelievered today because the courier couldn't work in the heat. Despite them having A/C in their vans

While I 100% understand that very high heat isn't for everyone, it really does make me chuckle when I hear Brits complaining that 25c is 'boiling' or too hot.

I’m not talking about 25c or even 30c as being “too hot”. I love the heat personally. My point is that we are clearly not prepared for temperatures of 38c on a regular basis. 

• Like 2

Posted

Its still 24.3C out there at 1am, which is actually higher than it was at midnight. In 40 years of records I've never seen a minimum above 20C, but there's a good chance it will go tonight.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and hot.
1 minute ago, reef said:

Its still 24.3C out there at 1am, which is actually higher than it was at midnight. In 40 years of records I've never seen a minimum above 20C, but there's a good chance it will go tonight.

Very good chance of setting the highest minima tonight I think, warmest night I can remember certianly.

Crazy to think that at 1am and 25c it's warmer than most summer days at 3pm. Amazing.

Posted

Remarkably, London City Airport is still at 28c at the last reading (00:50). 

Posted
5 hours ago, Mr Bartlettazores said:

Quick question if anyone can answer...was there cloud cover moving into the south east in the heatwave on 10th August 2003? Did it put a lid on temps going even higher that day? I recall severe thunderstorms up in the north east that afternoon and it was cooler in the west. Cardiff had a predicted record of 34 degrees on the Saturday 9th but unexpected cloud cover scuppered that (think it was 30/31 instead so below the city record from 1995 which is 33 degrees I believe). Would certainly be interesting to know although can’t remember cloud cover over the south east that day? 

On 10 Aug 2003 there was a cold front coming down from the northwest. There were severe storms in northern parts, Carlton-in-Cleveland rings a bell I think. The SE was the last part of the country to hang on to the heat.

• Like 1

Posted

Manchester Summer Indices 

1954 143
1907 147
1956 155
1912 156
1924 158
2012 164
2008 168
1987 169
1946 170
1909 171
1931 173
1978 173
1980 173
1920 174
1923 174
2007 174
1927 175
1948 176
1938 177
1922 178
2011 179
1985 180
1958 184
1972 185
1916 188
1986 189
1965 189
2016 189
1910 190
1936 190
1988 191
2010 191
1966 192
1998 192
2017 192
1953 193
1963 194
1993 194
2009 194
1902 195
1915 196
1981 196
1928 197
1962 197
1964 197
2004 197
2019 197 (up to 25th July) 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter cold,snow and frost. Summer hot and thundery

Got to be a new record here temperature hasn't dropped below 22c here overnight, astonishing